Player Discussion Trent Frederic II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What about Nosek? He's a proven player.

Nothing against Nosek. I just find Frederic isn't suited to the wing, just my opinion. Just not effective in that role. Awful technique and execution on his body-checking, it's Shawn Thornton-esque and that's not a compliment. Spends too much time stationary on the wing, needs to be playing center and being more engaged in the defensive-side, moving his feet more, where he can use his strength as a bigger body shut-down center-man because let's face it his offensive ability at the NHL Level is limited. It's sort of the same theory on Charlie Coyle where he's a better C than RW. In the middle he has to keep moving his feet.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Nothing against Nosek. I just find Frederic isn't suited to the wing, just my opinion. Just not effective in that role. Awful technique and execution on his body-checking, it's Shawn Thornton-esque and that's not a compliment. Spends too much time stationary on the wing, needs to be playing center and being more engaged in the defensive-side, moving his feet more, where he can use his strength as a bigger body shut-down center-man because let's face it his offensive ability at the NHL Level is limited. It's sort of the same theory on Charlie Coyle where he's a better C than RW. In the middle he has to keep moving his feet.

Nosek is a better center than Frederic at this point in their careers. If Frederic can’t figure out LW then let someone else figure it out and keep nosek at center.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Not sure what people are expecting from the guy. He’s a kid who manhandled the AHL and has bottom 6 potential.

NHL opponents don’t want any part of him and he’s not a cheap shot artist. He’s smart and responsible on the ice.

Feels like people either want him to start running guys dirty all over the ice or start lighting up the score sheet, neither of which he has ever done. This is the perfect time in his development to get a shot in the bottom six.

They need a guy like him.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If you look at his draft, he's a pretty good pick. 2016 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

The 10 guys picked before him and the 10 guys picked after him are all waiver fodder, except DeBrincat (I happen to like Asplund too but he's no big deal).

12 of those players in the range you just gave have more career points than Freddy tho. So if they are all waiver fodder what does that say about Freddy?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nosek is a better center than Frederic at this point in their careers. If Frederic can’t figure out LW then let someone else figure it out and keep nosek at center.

He is but if Frederic is going to be in the line-up I think he needs to be in a position where he'll be effective and not a spare part. You can't have any of your 12 forwards basically giving you nothing. Letting someone else figure it out is all well and good but who is that going to be? Anton Blidh? He's just as ineffective as Frederic. No one else on the left-side looks ready for the show. So to me if it's not Frederic or Nosek they'll have to bring a 4th line LWer in (which shouldn't be that hard really).

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
13 of those players in the range you just gave have more career points than Freddy tho. So if they are all waiver fodder what does that say about Freddy?
That he’s a different player who hasn’t played as many games or on teams with bigger holes on offense that need to be filled with guys who aren’t ready?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He is but if Frederic is going to be in the line-up I think he needs to be in a position where he'll be effective and not a spare part. You can't have any of your 12 forwards basically giving you nothing. Letting someone else figure it out is all well and good but who is that going to be? Anton Blidh? He's just as ineffective as Frederic. No one else on the left-side looks ready for the show. So to me if it's not Frederic or Nosek they'll have to bring a 4th line LWer in (which shouldn't be that hard really).

Doesn’t have to be blidh. You could move haula down to the 4th line, move folingo to center and have studnicka play RW

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Not sure what people are expecting from the guy. He’s a kid who manhandled the AHL and has bottom 6 potential.

NHL opponents don’t want any part of him and he’s not a cheap shot artist. He’s smart and responsible on the ice.

Feels like people either want him to start running guys dirty all over the ice or start lighting up the score sheet, neither of which he has ever done. This is the perfect time in his development to get a shot in the bottom six.

They need a guy like him.

Ok this is all good...but can we get some points also?

If he can score 10 goals this season, I will consider it a nice progression

If he can't hold onto a 4th line spot (in and out), then it may become another one of DW draft failings.

Along with some of 2015, and quite possibly 2017-2019

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

That makes a lot of sense. I think the problem for Freddie is that Nosek, by all counts, is a very good fourth line center.

The Bruins may or may not have the luxury of switching the two out, as I believe Nosek can play left wing. They have a good week plus to experiment. Unfortunately, that's probably not enough time for Trent to prove he can be a legitimate fourth line NHL center.

I hope he finds his way. The B's certainly need more, much more, physicality and "sandpaper."

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinDust

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Haula on the 4th line? Foligno is more suitable to play down there if it came to it.

Either way you want to do it haula, foligno, Debrusk etc. you can move around any of those guys and put studnicka at RW on the third line if you wanted.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Ok this is all good...but can we get some points also?

If he can score 10 goals this season, I will consider it a nice progression

If he can't hold onto a 4th line spot (in and out), then it may become another one of DW draft failings.

Along with some of 2015, and quite possibly 2017-2019
Sure - FWIW neither Haula or Nosek or Foglino or DeBrusk or Coyle or anyone in their bottom six had 10 goals last year and Studnicka couldn’t pot one in Providence. But let’s rip on Trent Frederic …

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Feels like Cassidy has emasculated Freddy. He needs to chirp and fight and get under skin. Let Freddy be Freddy!
I haven’t seen the same kid since he got benched for taking two costly penalties and prior to his sickness last season. Not trying to go conspiracy theorist but I do think he was told to dial it back.

And I wish he wouldn’t

Reactions: Bodit9

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Feels like Cassidy has emasculated Freddy. He needs to chirp and fight and get under skin. Let Freddy be Freddy!

Nothing could be further from truth.Cassidy said he wished Freddy would wake up angry and stop worrying about scoring they do not expect that part of the game from him they want him playing chippy .He went on about having to prod him to get him going.My gut tells me Fredy not gonna last in Boston but sure hope I am wrong.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
For the slamming Senyshyn takes , Frederic has exactly 2 pts more than Seny at the NHL level playing 45 more games......
Again Senyshyn gets slammed because of his fans. All of Trent fans understand his potential is 4th line. If someone said he was an answer for the top six, the vitriol would come out in full force.

I don't think Frederic is a good hockey player, but no one is pumping his tires until they burst.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Doesn’t have to be blidh. You could move haula down to the 4th line, move folingo to center and have studnicka play RW

I have a hard time putting two guys who IMO are more effective in the middle (Haula and Studnicka) on the wing to accommodate moving Foligno (who time at C in the NHL is sporadic at best) into the center ice position. In his 14 year career, Foligno was a full-time center for one of them. Coincidentally it was fairly recently (2017-18), but the next season he was back to the wing. His face-off numbers aren't great either. I'd be surprised if we see Foligno line-up in the middle much in Boston, injuries aside of course.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Either way you want to do it haula, foligno, Debrusk etc. you can move around any of those guys and put studnicka at RW on the third line if you wanted.

Studnicka needs to be in the middle.As for Trent since this is a thread about him I am worried about his game.Not sure he is even ready. He seems a bit lost out there but I hope he figures it out and fast

Reactions: Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad