Tremendous Free Agency For Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Where did you hear that Dubas tried to get Bennett?

That’s the first I’ve heard of that.

How could he have come up short on it? Bennett went for very little and Dubas was a typical over payer…..
That is what was reported by some Toronto writer soon after he was moved.

Reactions: Nineteen67

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What a refreshing change to sign three tough forwards who can score goals and fight along with a defenceman who can effectively run the power play and put up 50 to 60 points. All were bargain priced and none have ridiculous term.

As opposed to throwing millions down the drain for mediocre back up goalies like Pete Mrazek and Mutt Murray.

This is what happens when you replace an incompetent hack like Dubas with a professional GM.

I agree with this but I would even go a step further I think Treliving did a great job holding the line with Samsonov.

And I'm a very big fan of the coaching hires, especially the Guy Boucher hire, but you also have a former Bruins assistant coach as your new AHL head coach, and you have a Stanley Cup winning assistant in Van Ryn

Treliving is off to a VERY strong start

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
If you don't have the core, are pieces like Murray going to help? The lazy takes on the core conveniently ignore the dead weight players this team seems to have year over year. The core this and the core that mentality is so useless, it isn't even coherent

When people talk about the core, it's about them as a unit and their impact on the team's cap structure in relation to their playoff performance. If you keep running the same core pieces at their current cap hits, you will get the same results regardless of what's around them.

It's the reality of the cap space available to fill out the roster.

In fact, you sort of mentioned the effect of this in your post. Since they have no cap space due to the core guys, they keep adding cheap "dead-weight" players that come with issues, sign one-year deals not allowing for long-term chemistry, or aren't good enough.

The only way to resolve this is with cap redistribution.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
When people talk about the core, it's about them as a unit and their impact on the team's cap structure in relation to their playoff performance. If you keep running the same core pieces at their current cap hits, you will get the same results regardless of what's around them.

In fact, you sort of mentioned the effect of this in your post. Since they have no cap space due to the core guys, they keep adding cheap "dead-weight" players that come with issues, sign one-year deals not allowing for long-term chemistry, or aren't good enough.

Bertuzzi: 30 points - 8 goals
Domi: 56 points - 20 goals
Total: 86 points - 28 goals
Cap Space - $8mm

I like the signings, decent return on the Cap Hit, combined about the same as Nylander, and around $1mm less than he'll get on his next contract. But of course their combined ice time will be quite a bit more than 1 player.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I like the bertuzzi signing. I like that Tre was able to get actual good players on 1 year deals rather than dubas getting bottom of the barrel who admittedly outperformed their results.

I don’t really see how the team fits together though. The team has more scoring i believe. But I don’t see the lines.
They brought in some pretty bad defensive players.

If we go.

Bert. Matthews. Marner.
Domi. Tavares. Nylander
Knies. Kampf. Jarnkrok.
Laff. Holmberg. Reeves.

You would have to completely shelter the second line.
I don’t think kampf has enough offence to support the third line. I do like him as a shutdown C. I like the signing but I don’t get it.

I don’t mind klingberg. I think he’s about .5-1 million too high. We struggled massively with moving the puck in the playoffs. He would help. I don’t know if McCabe is good enough to paper over his warts.

I didn’t love McCabe in the playoffs. I thought he made too many mistakes.

Rielly. Brodie
McCabe klingberg
Gio. Lilly.

If somehow we could get a reliable d in there

Rielly. Brodie
Xxxx. Klingberg
McCabe Lilly
Gio.

I would like it. But I don’t see how it will work cap wise.
The reason I wanted Tre was he already went through a debacle with gross and he wouldn’t lose willy for nothing.

Dubas has shown a willingness to let too many players walk out the door.

I think he may trade willy. That might get us our players we need

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Murray isn't cheap. If money can be wasted on Murray or Kerfoot or Mrazek or a number of useless plugs, you can't complain about having too little cap. Even a guy like Nick Ritchie at 1.5mm shouldnt be even playing on even the 4th line. You cut the fat before the bone. If you get a flat, don't blame the engine

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I like the bertuzzi signing. I like that Tre was able to get actual good players on 1 year deals rather than dubas getting bottom of the barrel who admittedly outperformed their results.

I don’t really see how the team fits together though. The team has more scoring i believe. But I don’t see the lines.
They brought in some pretty bad defensive players.

If we go.

Bert. Matthews. Marner.
Domi. Tavares. Nylander
Knies. Kampf. Jarnkrok.
Laff. Holmberg. Reeves.

You would have to completely shelter the second line.
I don’t think kampf has enough offence to support the third line. I do like him as a shutdown C. I like the signing but I don’t get it.

I don’t mind klingberg. I think he’s about .5-1 million too high. We struggled massively with moving the puck in the playoffs. He would help. I don’t know if McCabe is good enough to paper over his warts.

I didn’t love McCabe in the playoffs. I thought he made too many mistakes.

Rielly. Brodie
McCabe klingberg
Gio. Lilly.

If somehow we could get a reliable d in there

Rielly. Brodie
Xxxx. Klingberg
McCabe Lilly
Gio.

I would like it. But I don’t see how it will work cap wise.
The reason I wanted Tre was he already went through a debacle with gross and he wouldn’t lose willy for nothing.

Dubas has shown a willingness to let too many players walk out the door.

I think he may trade willy. That might get us our players we need

Keep in mind Domi took 2nd. most face-offs on the Hawks this year, with a 53.7% rating.

It is going to be interesting, Domi could play 2nd. line or 3rd. line and could be center on either as Tavares has played wing.

I'm not sure Treliving is done, could still be something something Brodie.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Murray isn't cheap. If money can be wasted on Murray or Kerfoot or Mrazek or a number of useless plugs, you can't complain about having too little cap. Even a guy like Nick Ritchie at 1.5mm shouldnt be even playing on even the 4th line. You cut the fat before the bone. If you get a flat, don't blame the engine

Yep, easy part is done.
Samsonov was a throw it over the fence and then walk around and see how it landed situation. Is there a question as far as the results affecting future negotiations? Does Samsonov feel slighted or is doubling his salary for a year okay.

I'm not sure defense has been addressed? Is there a possibility Klingberg re-emerges?

Murray is the challenge ... that might cost a few assets to address.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Yep, easy part is done.
Samsonov was a throw it over the fence and then walk around and see how it landed situation. Is there a question as far as the results affecting future negotiations? Does Samsonov feel slighted or is doubling his salary for a year okay.

I'm not sure defense has been addressed? Is there a possibility Klingberg re-emerges?

Murray is the challenge ... that might cost a few assets to address.
I never saw Sammy as the long term future. Hoping Woll gets 30 or more starts. If he is awesome, sign for a long term contract and lock the future.
Klingberg is on his last go. Taking huge risks for big contracts is going to get him thrown out of the league. If he can reign it in maybe he plays ok but defense is definitely weak as it stands. It will totally be exposed by weakened defensive forward play.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

There are always new names that become plugs. It literally happens every season. Next year we will say the same about Reaves. Even Domi and Klingberg’s defensive woes are going to shock some.

Just going into last year, Bunting was a 60-point winger and Kerfoot was a two-way 50-point winger now they are useless plugs.

Yes I would remove them too but this is not the main problem and it never has been. It’s the underperforming core relative to its cap hit.

I would say after these last few seasons, this is slowly descending into a “rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic” situation.

Reactions: freshwind

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
There are always new names that become plugs. It literally happens every season. Next year we will say the same about Reaves. Even Domi and Klingberg’s defensive woes are going to shock some.

Just going into last year, Bunting was a 60-point winger and Kerfoot was a two-way 50-point winger now they are useless plugs.

Yes I would remove them too but this is not the main problem and it never has been. It’s the underperforming core relative to its cap hit.

I would say after these last few seasons, this is slowly descending into a “rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic” situation.
They didn't really underperformed in any major way. This is the language of haters or appeasers of haters

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
They didn't really underperformed in any major way. This is the language of haters or appeasers of haters

Name-calling doesn't change facts and the core is not above criticism.

Against Florida

Marner - 1 G, 2 A
Matthews - 0 G, 2 A
Nylander - 2 G, 1 A
Tavares - 1 A

Simple question. This is 40M worth of production in your eyes?

We have seen lesser-paid stars do more in the playoffs for years now. The Leafs core can't even maintain their regular season pace let alone upping their game. In fact, these guys have each other on their lines/PP units and we're blaming depth signings for their lack of production in big moments?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

Against Florida

Marner - 1 G, 2 A
Matthews - 0 G, 2 A
Nylander - 2 G, 1 A
Tavares - 1 A

We have seen lesser-paid stars do more in the playoffs for years now. The Leafs core can't even maintain their regular season pace let alone upping their game. In fact, these guys have each other on their lines/PP units and we're blaming depth signings for their lack of production in big moments?
Where did the goals against come from?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Against Florida

Marner - 1 G, 2 A
Matthews - 0 G, 2 A
Nylander - 2 G, 1 A
Tavares - 1 A

Ya the guy asking for 13-14 million wanting to be paid the highest in the league totally disappeared when we needed him most. Glad to see Tavares was worth his 11 million in that series.
Our 2 great leaders……..leading.

Reactions: geo25 and freshwind

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What Tyler Bertuzzi's playoff series vs. Panthers says about what he brings to Toronto

Tyler Bertuzzi was extremely productive in his first playoff appearance. A deep dive into his series with Boston reveals what he offers the Maple Leafs.​

1690778494684.png

What may have tipped the scales for teams interested in Bertuzzi — including the Toronto Maple Leafs who ultimately signed him to a one-year, $5.5-million deal — was what he did in his first taste of playoff action with the Boston Bruins.

Although his 2022-23 regular season wasn't particularly impressive, he came alive in Boston's first-round battle with the Florida Panthers.

Bertuzzi saved his best work for last, giving an excellent final impression to teams looking to sign him while simultaneously showing he was the type of player capable of making an impact in the postseason.

It would be unfair to say the Maple Leafs signed Bertuzzi solely based on what he did in seven games against the Panthers, but it would be naive to assume it didn't play a meaningful role in their pursuit of the winger.

A closer look at his playoff performance can give us a better understanding of both what Toronto saw in Bertuzzi, and what the forward is likely to bring to the Maple Leafs in 2023-24.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm cautiously optimistic about free agency.

If he stays healthy Bertuzzi should be a good signing. Domi and Klingberg I'm not as upbeat. Reaves even less so.

I wish Treliving had brought in more leadership.

Either the Leafs don't have any leaders. Or the ones they have aren't doing a good job. It's either one or the other.

There is no other choice.

I pick the latter. These guys are famous for choking when it matters most. It's not a stretch of imagination a team that falls apart every year in the playoffs has leadership issues.

That the problems all start with the half into it millionaires.

The ones supposed to be leading this team. The only thing these guys lead is the charge to the bank. I don't have much faith they're gonna find it in themselves to overcome whatever mental hurdle has been holding them back.

I'd be more optimistic if Treliving brought in some real leaders to show these guys how to get job done instead.

Go Leafs Go!

Reactions: geo25

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Q: Is Toronto running it back one more time with some minor tinkering?

Before the drama with Kyle Dubas, and hiring of Treliving the biggest question after the playoff elimination was: "Are they going to run it back again with the same core?".

As far as I can tell they are (IMHO). The same core is still here and Domi/Bertuzzi/Klingberg/Reaves is not really enough in terms of change. Are these players plus Treliving enough change for you?

Is Toronto done, or do you expect someone of significance moved?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm cautiously optimistic about free agency.

If he stays healthy Bertuzzi should be a good signing. Domi and Klingberg I'm not as upbeat. Reaves even less so.

I wish Treliving had brought in more leadership.

Either the Leafs don't have any leaders. Or the ones they have aren't doing a good job. It's either one or the other.

There is no other choice.

I pick the latter. These guys are famous for choking when it matters most. It's not a stretch of imagination a team that falls apart every year in the playoffs has leadership issues.

That the problems all start with the half into it millionaires.

The ones supposed to be leading this team. The only thing these guys lead is the charge to the bank. I don't have much faith they're gonna find it in themselves to overcome whatever mental hurdle has been holding them back.

I'd be more optimistic if Treliving brought in some real leaders to show these guys how to get job done instead.

Go Leafs Go!
Well this isn't EA sports though. It's not so easy to boot out talent and bring in leadership with talent through 1 offseason. Toronto's winning window could continue with WN/AM/MM 's next contracts, and the end of Tavares' time with TOR. "Real Leaders"? George Armstrong died in 2021, and retired from hockey in 1971. I don't think it's possible to clone him before October when the season starts.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Well this isn't EA sports though. It's not so easy to boot out talent and bring in leadership with talent through 1 offseason. Toronto's winning window could continue with WN/AM/MM 's next contracts, and the end of Tavares' time with TOR. "Real Leaders"? George Armstrong died in 2021, and retired from hockey in 1971. I don't think it's possible to clone him before October when the season starts.

Thanks for the response.

The problem with finding real leaders is that they're usually too busy leading their own successful teams already.

By the time any of them manage to make their way here they're usually inconsequential. It's too bad none of the guys the Leafs have already were natural born leaders. I think it would be nice if they had developed some homegrown leaders in house.

Instead of trying to import it at the deadline every year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Thanks for the response.

The problem with finding real leaders is that they're usually too busy leading their own successful teams already.

By the time any of them manage to make their way here they're usually inconsequential. It's too bad none of the guys the Leafs have already were natural born leaders. I think it would be nice if they had developed some homegrown leaders in house.

Instead of trying to import it at the deadline every year.
It seems to take a year or two for teams to jell and sort themselves out , when you're trying to establish an identity.

Complimentary pieces can work, but when you bring in ROR at the TDL hoping he can change the culture it really speaks volumes about how the team was constructed in the first place.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If they are done I’m not personally happy…..

I don’t think the lines make sense?

Bert. Matthews. Marner
Domi. Tavares. Nylander
Knies. Kampf. Jarnkrok
Holm Laff. Reeves?

I guess you have a defensive black hole 2 line?

Rielly. Brodie
McCabe. Klingberg
Gio. Lilly.

I don’t see how that works? I don’t think McCabe is good enough to be a full d stopper.

I think that they probably need a 3 c and one more D

I would love them. To go for toews. With a bottom 6 of

Knies. Toews. Jarnkrok
laff. Kampf. Reeves

And a ad that would leave us with

Rielly. Brodie
Xxxxx. Klingberg
McCabe. Lilly
Gio.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It seems to take a year or two for teams to jell and sort themselves out , when you're trying to establish an identity.

Unfortunately it's been seven years.

They have an identity as a result. It's just not a favorable one. Chokers and losers are this teams identity.

That won't change until the postseason collapses end.

They need the players they have on the team already to step up and lead. They've brought in enough washed up vets over the years. If the millionaire leaders of this team can't actually do any leading, why are they getting paid the big bucks?

Why are they even on the team?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If they are done I’m not personally happy…..

I don’t think the lines make sense?

Bert. Matthews. Marner
Domi. Tavares. Nylander
Knies. Kampf. Jarnkrok
Holm Laff. Reeves?

I guess you have a defensive black hole 2 line?

Rielly. Brodie
McCabe. Klingberg
Gio. Lilly.

I don’t see how that works? I don’t think McCabe is good enough to be a full d stopper.

I think that they probably need a 3 c and one more D

I would love them. To go for toews. With a bottom 6 of

Knies. Toews. Jarnkrok
laff. Kampf. Reeves

And a ad that would leave us with

Rielly. Brodie
Xxxxx. Klingberg
McCabe. Lilly
Gio.

They aren’t done, they are going to have a few PTO’s and we are going to have kids pushing to make the team. McMann, Robertson, Steeves are 3 guys who are skilled enough to make the Leafs and might force the leafs to waive Lafferty or trade him. Maybe Niemela, Villaneuve, Cowan or Minten also impress. I don’t think the leafs are done at all. Lots of jobs to be won in camp.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Unfortunately it's been seven years.

They have an identity as a result. It's just not a favorable one. Chokers and losers are this teams identity.

That won't change until the postseason collapses end.

They need the players they have on the team already to step up and lead. They've brought in enough washed up vets over the years. If the millionaire leaders of this team can't actually do any leading, why are they getting paid the big bucks?

Why are they even on the team?
That’s the question.

Even if they change the core it’ll take a minute for them to jell and sort everything out. That’s why Matthews can’t be signed on a short term (3 yr) deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad