Tremendous Free Agency For Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
3 years. For what? Motivational speaking? Dion Phaneuf-like djing?

None of your ridiculous posts are worth referencing.
You may need to step away from the forums fir a bit and find some mental health my guy.

Damn old sport, calm down.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
That Gouda’s hit was something.
To Dubas credit he tried to get Bennett, it was a wise pursuit but he fell short obviously.

So the irony is, Brad needs to find an Acciari and Schenn for this team. Unless they have doppergangers he is going to have to find them with a different name.

I remain convinced that this core will continue to fail though. It's a travesty since they are paid so much. If there wasn't a Cap, it would be an easy solution if you have Leafs resources.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Sure and if you really wanted the player or value, you could have sold high on Kerfoot and got Domi. There were tweets in the forum saying Domi was willing to take less than $3M last offseason to sign with the Leafs over Chicago. Or say not trade for an injured Murray, get a cheaper, healthier goalie and still land Domi. And you can’t say there was no room, the leafs added 3 forwards at the deadline so clearly Dubas did think the forward group wasn’t good enough.

Nothing handcuffed Dubas from getting Domi last year with the Leafs or this year with the Pens along with Bertuzzi. That being said, any of the other 30 GMs could have had Bertuzzi and Domi - so Treliving deserves his credit here and it’s not just a product of the cap situation - it’s 2 players available to 32 and our GM getting the job done.

As for running back the core, Dubas did that for 5 years. Treliving has been here 5 weeks and there is no guarantee Nylander is back as there are reports of a huge gap in contract dispute. So running it back isn’t a forgone conclusion.

I can agree bring Keefe back is a mistake though.

Domi doesn't play defense, that is the problem here. With the additions the Leafs are going to try and win games 5-4 again? I hope not.

Maybe Brad is counting on a heavy and constant forecheck, but every addition has been offense minded, but at least they bring a forecheck and or speed. This is key.

Time will tell. Let's face it though, we all know how the playoffs will go. Without Cap wiggle room this is how it will remain. They needed to move on from certain players and they won't. Really, who has the Cap space for a Marner even if they wanted him?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Domi doesn't play defense, that is the problem here. With the additions the Leafs are going to try and win games 5-4 again? I hope not.

Maybe Brad is counting on a heavy and constant forecheck, but every addition has been offense minded, but at least they bring a forecheck and or speed. This is key.

Time will tell. Let's face it though, we all know how the playoffs will go. Without Cap wiggle room this is how it will remain. They needed to move on from certain players and they won't. Really, who has the Cap space for a Marner even if they wanted him?

Honestly Domi isn’t much different than Kerfoot except more of history of scoring and same goes for Bertuzzi and Bunting. Also with these guys, you are getting more upside. All around better.

And the offseason isnt over. As Klingberg said in his presser, Treliving promised him more moves and Treliving says he prefers a longer and stronger D corps. So more moves are coming.

I doubt Marner is available and if he was he isn’t waiving his no trade clause. But if he were available, teams find cap room for a top 10 forward

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Honestly Domi isn’t much different than Kerfoot except more of history of scoring and same goes for Bertuzzi and Bunting. Also with these guys, you are getting more upside. All around better.

And the offseason isnt over. As Klingberg said in his presser, Treliving promised him more moves and Treliving says he prefers a longer and stronger D corps. So more moves are coming.

I doubt Marner is available and if he was he isn’t waiving his no trade clause. But if he were available, teams find cap room for a top 10 forward
He could.have been traded before July 1st. I doubt many teams were falling over themselves trying to ads a $10M player who disappears when it matters most. l

He is talented as can be, but not mentally designed for Stanley Cup hockey. Talent alone doesn't win a.Cup and he has talent alone unfortunately.

Many of us have been fooled for.years. At least Brad is taking an honest and fresh look st the team. He hasn't fallen in love with any players. They need more unpleasant players that's for certain.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Honestly Domi isn’t much different than Kerfoot except more of history of scoring and same goes for Bertuzzi and Bunting.

Al Kerfoot is about as un-physical as it gets. Has the guy ever been in a fight in his entire life? Kerfoot is terrified of his own shadow.

Unlike Max Domi who will NEVER back down from anyone.

Domi and Kerfoot are about as opposite as it gets.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Don Cherry makes a statement about the Leafs' newest additions, puts the rest of the Atlantic Division on notice​

The funny thing about perspective is that it can change very quickly. After signing Reaves and Klingberg, nobody was rushing to give Treliving any praise. However, the additions of Bertuzzi and Domi just a day later creates a much different impression of his body of work and goes a long way in trying to complete the picture. Now, with Bertuzzi, Domi and Reaves all in the fold, Cherry put the Atlantic Division and the rest of the NHL on notice on Sunday. The Leafs are not pushovers anymore. Now, they're ready to do the pushing.

1688443276002.png

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Been away since last week, just catching up on all of this.

I've seen comments about Treliving have a disastrous day 1 of UFA.
Why was that the thinking?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not a big fan of the moves so far.

Replaced Holl with a player who is better offensively and worse defensively.

Replaced Bunting with a player with a history of back issues (for more money).

Reaves is just another Clifford-type move.

Domi is an absolute wildcard. Could be great, could be awful, depends on his mood this coming season.

All that money spent but Schenn walked. He was the perfect partner for Rielly, played incredibly well in his role and kept people away from his goaltender.

In a vacuum I like the players, I just don't know that they're improvements to what was lost.

Reaves is not a "Clifford type" you have no idea what you are talking about

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Bertuzzi and Domi combined injects 40+ goals. Klingberg adds 40 assists you'd think. Somehow Dubas managed to create a blue line with zero grit and zero offense. We owe that 1st round win to Burke and his love affair with Morgan Rielly. Hopefully Berg can help him carry the points.

At their ages id take Bertuzzi over an O'Reilly + Acciari package. Bertuzzi has 40 goal potential if they put him with matthews. O'Reilly looked more like Jason Allison as the playoffs went on tbh.

Would have loved Schenn back but this team is sickkkkk nonetheless.

• Haha
Reactions: Turin and Sypher04

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Bertuzzi and Domi combined injects 40+ goals. Klingberg adds 40 assists you'd think. Somehow Dubas managed to create a blue line with zero grit and zero offense. We owe that 1st round win to Burke and his love affair with Morgan Rielly. Hopefully Berg can help him carry the points.

At their ages id take Bertuzzi over an O'Reilly + Acciari package. Bertuzzi has 40 goal potential if they put him with matthews. O'Reilly looked more like Jason Allison as the playoffs went on tbh.

Would have loved Schenn back but this team is sickkkkk nonetheless.
O'Reilly was trash. Looked trash and hovered around a 20% xGF most nights. He restored faith in advanced stats being able to line up with the eye test. Bertuzzi would have done so much damage against Florida.

Reactions: Sypher04

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Day 1 was rubbish. Day 2 was good.

But in the grand scheme of things, he's still doing the same thing Dubas was. Changing pieces around the core when it's the core that's the issue. That sounds like the same script as before.

We'll see what more Treliving has up his sleeve as I am certain he's going to continue changing the defense. Maybe he does go ahead with a Nylander trade?
If you don't have the core, are pieces like Murray going to help? The lazy takes on the core conveniently ignore the dead weight players this team seems to have year over year. The core this and the core that mentality is so useless, it isn't even coherent

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dubas is underrated by his haters and overrated by his lovers.

He was meh.

The bottom line is he did what all of us would do initially;
Put faith in your young core
Hire people you are familiar with

He was too soft in his dealings with the core and keefe but ultimately for me;

The failure is ULTIMATELY on the CORE, they got their money, the management was loyal (to a fault) and the coach gave into all of their demands. For me, it's 100% on their shoulders and above Keefe and Dubas is Shanahan's collosal failure overseeing this entire thing as a HUGE vet who has been around WAY longer in the game than Dubas/Keefe.

I do think Dubas believed in the players drafted before he became GM.

I bet most of the posters here believed in those players, perhaps up until the Montreal series. But of course Tavares only played about 3 minutes of that series before he was sidelined, and yet the 2nd. line held their own.

Dubas had the most talented line-up since Gilmour, and more talented than Sundin's line-up.

Why would you expect such failure in the playoffs with that.

You have to look at coaching and/or players not Dubas.

If Dubas is to blame it is in believing they were not missing "it", but it's all there for everyone to see today. Sundin and Gilmour never won anything but I don't feel they underachieved.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This Defense is not quite in shape. Treliving doesn't necessarily have to move hell on earth to improve things before the season starts, but this has to be a priority for the playoffs.

What would you do?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is true. Reaves will be fine in the regular season, but he cant skate enough to play in the playoffs.

So far the Leafs are slower, and they’re probably worse defensively, but they’re at least a little different.

Played 8:32 a game in the playoffs.

It would be nice to have a player like Reaves who could play a regular shift, but they are so rare.

Time will tell if the tinkering makes a difference.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
To Dubas credit he tried to get Bennett, it was a wise pursuit but he fell short obviously.

So the irony is, Brad needs to find an Acciari and Schenn for this team. Unless they have doppergangers he is going to have to find them with a different name.

I remain convinced that this core will continue to fail though. It's a travesty since they are paid so much. If there wasn't a Cap, it would be an easy solution if you have Leafs resources.
Where did you hear that Dubas tried to get Bennett?

That’s the first I’ve heard of that.

How could he have come up short on it? Bennett went for very little and Dubas was a typical over payer…..

Reactions: ACC1224

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I hope the first game we play against Florida that Reaves clocks Bennett for that crap he pulled during the playoffs. I have a feeling he'll be a little quieter with the calgary stampede takedowns like the one against Knies. It'll be worth the penalty if he has to take one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad