Tremendous Free Agency For Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
What a ridiculous comment. Please watch some actual hockey games - - not NHL 23 video games - - before making any further proclamations such as that.

Reaves is a legit thug.
Explain how Reaves does anything stapled to the bench and press box. He's not stopping Bennett from doing jack. And who the hell is afraid of Bertuzzi and Domi? Who??

Reactions: Nineteen67 and kb

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Forwards the Leafs acquired that had at least 50 points in their previous 2 years:

Dubas: 2 in 5 Years
-1 acquired in 2018 and cost you $77M
-1 acquired 5 months ago and cost you 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th and that player is gone

Treliving: 2 in 1 day
-Both acquired on 1 deals

This is what the Leafs should have been doing day 1 since Tavares was signed - getting good to very good players to sign short term deal to build up value to play with the elite forward group.

A breath of fresh air to finally have a competent GM who knows we need secondary scoring and acquired them without giving up premium assets.

The cap situation is the only thing causing this to happen. Both Bertuzzi and Domi would have signed for longer-term deals if the leaguewide cap room wasn't as tight as it is now.

But it's good that Treliving took advantage of this.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The cap situation is the only thing causing this to happen. Both Bertuzzi and Domi would have signed for longer-term deals if the leaguewide cap room wasn't as tight as it is now.

The cap situation is always like this. He just did well but if this is the method of defending Dubas poor record, I guess so.

Reactions: PromisedLand

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Dubas is underrated by his haters and overrated by his lovers.

He was meh.

The bottom line is he did what all of us would do initially;
Put faith in your young core
Hire people you are familiar with

He was too soft in his dealings with the core and keefe but ultimately for me;

The failure is ULTIMATELY on the CORE, they got their money, the management was loyal (to a fault) and the coach gave into all of their demands. For me, it's 100% on their shoulders and above Keefe and Dubas is Shanahan's collosal failure overseeing this entire thing as a HUGE vet who has been around WAY longer in the game than Dubas/Keefe.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I guess we can expect Tavares on the 4th line? Hopefully he's busy enough and smart enough to never read your posts.

LOL

Go read my posts from June 20 to July 2nd if you want. Tre has done exactly what I had been preaching. Well not exactly.. but greater than 50% for sure.

P.S. Tavares should be playing 3C not 2C. Where the hell did you get the 4C from?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
who cares, he is #12/13 forward ... he has a role to play on and off the ice
3 years. For what? Motivational speaking? Dion Phaneuf-like djing?

LOL

Go read my posts from June 20 to July 2nd if you want. Tre has done exactly what I had been preaching. Well not exactly.. but greater than 50% for sure.

P.S. Tavares should be playing 3C not 2C. Where the hell did you get the 4C from?
None of your ridiculous posts are worth referencing.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He is trying, I will give Brad that. Just as Dubas tried his damndest at the deadline and it bought them one round and five wins. One Round total in seven years.

Look, outside of JTs immovable contract for me, Marner would have been the guy to go. That ship has sailed so Leafs playoffs chances are slim, again.

Second best course, if I am Brad I get the 10 team list from Nylander and start chipping away at their offers. We don't need another 40 goals from Nylander or 100 point season for the team, we need playoff tenacity. Get to the dance and make some noise. We need what Florida brought and it requires breaking up the core. It just does.

I would happily take a 20-25 goal scorer who plays a North/South, physical game and a solid D man to balance Klingberg for Nylander with hopefully some Cap space to boot (if not now than certainly in the future as Nylander wants the bigger bucks).

Brad, if you read these forums, take if from those who have seen this show year after year, the top dogs on this team will not bring it. They are meek, lead unfortunately by a quiet Tavares who needs to break out of his ornery shell and show some passion. These are just facts, I am not being cruel, this is what they are and have been. Only Matthews shows flashes of some edge.

If you are taking orders from upstairs and can't trade the core, then you are a placeholder, it isn't going to work. We've all hoped it would, it simply won't. They don't have Crosby DNA, they have Kessel DNA. One big salary perimeter player is manageable in a playoff run but 4 who eat up so much Cap?

Good luck.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The cap situation is always like this. He just did well but if this is the method of defending Dubas poor record, I guess so.

Leaguewide?

Stating the facts does not make one a Dubas defender.

The average cap hit and years on UFA contracts are down significantly.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

We have been working with a worse cap situation the last 3 years with COVID plus Domi went for the exact same contract last year. Bertuzzi and Domi at this rate could have been had for this off-season by anyone including Dubas in Pittsburgh and again Domi could have been signed by Dubas last offseason - but didn’t.

Sometimes a GM has to make the best of a bad situation. I didn’t see much of that in the previous regime where we are seeing it right away with Treliving. Not the be all, end all because playoff success is what matters. But this is a great start.

horner

May 22, 2007
What a refreshing change to sign three tough forwards who can score goals and fight along with a defenceman who can effectively run the power play and put up 50 to 60 points. All were bargain priced and none have ridiculous term.

As opposed to throwing millions down the drain for mediocre back up goalies like Pete Mrazek and Mutt Murray.

This is what happens when you replace an incompetent hack like Dubas with a professional GM.
Weather or not we get any further in the playoffs is another thing.
But he is trying to get players that play a role
and he is thinking of the playoffs as well.
You can't wait till the trade deadline to build a team the off-season is the best time to do that..

He is still looking for parts of the team that are missing.

He just seems to know what he wants his team to be.

At least when the game is at a crawl he has players that will wake them up and players that go to the paint get in the goaltenders face.
Next yr knies gets mauled and kampf gets hut from behind we have players that will set him strait Bennett and Tkachuk and Gudas.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Specifically, it was brought up that our players would be protected... Schenn is a better hitter than Reaves I'd argue. It did nothing.

..and you missed the point ..you protect your players by being the aggressor.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
We have been working with a worse cap situation the last 3 years with COVID plus Domi went for the exact same contract last year. Bertuzzi and Domi at this rate could have been had for this off-season by anyone including Dubas in Pittsburgh and again Domi could have been signed by Dubas last offseason - but didn’t.

Sometimes a GM has to make the best of a bad situation. I didn’t see much of that in the previous regime where we are seeing it right away with Treliving. Not the be all, end all because playoff success is what matters. But this is a great start.
We can't ignore context. The Leafs were in a different spot last season.

Bunting had just put up 63 points with a 950k cap hit. Kerfoot also had 51 points. Both still with a year on their deals.

The Leafs had just lost a two-way player in Mikheyev and needed a replacement. Domi was all-offense coming off a 39-point season, while Jarnkrok put up 30 points as a better two-way player. They ended up getting Jarnkrok on a cheaper deal (4 x 2.1M).

Treliving has done a good job with his signings on day 2. He took advantage of the situation in front of him. Although I still disagree with both Dubas and Treliving on running back the core + Keefe as that's just not going to work.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
We can't ignore context. The Leafs were in a different spot last season.

Bunting had just put up 63 points with a 950k cap hit. Kerfoot also had 51 points. Both still with a year on their deals.

The Leafs had just lost a two-way player in Mikheyev and needed a replacement. Domi was all-offense coming off a 39-point season, while Jarnkrok put up 30 points as a better two-way player. They ended up getting Jarnkrok on a cheaper deal (4 x 2.1M).

Treliving has done a good job with his signings on day 2. He took advantage of the situation in front of him. Although I still disagree with both Dubas and Treliving on running back the core + Keefe as that's just not going to work.

Sure and if you really wanted the player or value, you could have sold high on Kerfoot and got Domi. There were tweets in the forum saying Domi was willing to take less than $3M last offseason to sign with the Leafs over Chicago. Or say not trade for an injured Murray, get a cheaper, healthier goalie and still land Domi. And you can’t say there was no room, the leafs added 3 forwards at the deadline so clearly Dubas did think the forward group wasn’t good enough.

Nothing handcuffed Dubas from getting Domi last year with the Leafs or this year with the Pens along with Bertuzzi. That being said, any of the other 30 GMs could have had Bertuzzi and Domi - so Treliving deserves his credit here and it’s not just a product of the cap situation - it’s 2 players available to 32 and our GM getting the job done.

As for running back the core, Dubas did that for 5 years. Treliving has been here 5 weeks and there is no guarantee Nylander is back as there are reports of a huge gap in contract dispute. So running it back isn’t a forgone conclusion.

I can agree bring Keefe back is a mistake though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Stanley Cup finals?

Obviously not a star but there sure were a lot of questionable hits ... Hockey is a big boy game, I'd love it if buddy of mine laid out someone and the other team came after us, tells me we are in their keads.

That Gouda’s hit was something.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Explain how Reaves does anything stapled to the bench and press box. He's not stopping Bennett from doing jack. And who the hell is afraid of Bertuzzi and Domi? Who??
This is true. Reaves will be fine in the regular season, but he cant skate enough to play in the playoffs.

So far the Leafs are slower, and they’re probably worse defensively, but they’re at least a little different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad