Tremendous Free Agency For Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Agree with the first, don't agree with the second.
they may be different kind of players but both are middle six forwards in the same price range.
Personally, I think they will sign AM and see about Willie as they have Bertuzzi as a replacement.
If Bertuzzi fits in and producing without any anomalies like crazy shooting % or tip in %. While willing to sign at 7-8mil, Willie will most likely be traded to get more depth or a Dman to round out the team.
I think they trade Nylander almost for certain. Given the cap situation and BT previous situation with his star players in Calgary, I think he looks to diversify and turn Nylander into a few pieces with upside. We dont necessarily need a 90 point winger. If BT would get a young 60 point winger, a 1st round pick, and a short term serviceable salary dump back it may be good enough along with some extra cap space.

60 point winger @ $6-7 million may mean the difference of keeping Bertuzzi and Domi. If BT can turn Nylander into a 60 point winger, a 50 point winger, and a 40 point winger along with a 1st rounder, I think it may be the best option with the highest likelihood of us being competitive.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agree with the first, don't agree with the second.
Domi is a better fit with the Leafs, as he is a better scorer and would play like a pest or start stuff if he wants to.
Kerfoot is a better defensive player but lack the shot to score.

Domi will get more goals and guys like Lafferty will pick up Kerfoot’s PK mins.

Reactions: TMLAM34

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Domi is a better fit with the Leafs, as he is a better scorer and would play like a pest or start stuff if he wants to.
Kerfoot is a better defensive player but lack the shot to score.

Domi will get more goals and guys like Lafferty will pick up Kerfoot’s PK mins.
He may bring some different qualities on ice but he is a terrible fit in the room.

Reactions: al secord

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Obviously, it didn't happen this way, they signed Bertuzzi. But, it would have been a pretty lackluster summer without that signing to tie everything else together. Everything else feels like an easy move in comparison.

Domi and Klingberg are in a similar tier of player to Bertuzzi without the current shine. Between the 3 of them they should go a long way towards solving the issue of secondary scoring that has been plaguing them in the playoffs.

I am very disappointed that they couldn't come to terms with Luke Schenn.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Personally, I think they will sign AM and see about Willie as they have Bertuzzi as a replacement.
If Bertuzzi fits in and producing without any anomalies like crazy shooting % or tip in %. While willing to sign at 7-8mil, Willie will most likely be traded to get more depth or a Dman to round out the team.
Bertuzzi is barely a Bunting level replacement, let alone a Nylander level replacement.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Bertuzzi is barely a Bunting level replacement, let alone a Nylander level replacement.
Bunting's a clown who couldn't put up points on any other line than Matthews and Marner's. At least Bertuzzi produced in a playoff series, Bunting was an unnecessary distraction with little to no production in any playoff series he's played. Let's give the guy a chance before we shit on him. I agree he's no Nylander replacement though.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Bunting's a clown who couldn't put up points on any other line than Matthews and Marner's. At least Bertuzzi produced in a playoff series, Bunting was an unnecessary distraction with little to no production in any playoff series he's played. Let's give the guy a chance before we shit on him. I agree he's no Nylander replacement though.
The silly part about this is that I would be willing to bet that in about 4 months everyone on this site will be loving Bertuzzi. Barring long-term injuries, I think he will score 40 goals on this team.

Reactions: slozo and Metal God

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Kerfoot and Domi aren't very comparable players. Kerfoot has got a superior defensive game, Domi is a poor defensive player although there's no physical reason who couldn't be a decent defensive player. Domi is a superior playmaker. Kerfoot is probably the more physical player believe it or not.

I never warmed to Kerfoot but he may be a better overall NHL player than Domi. I'm hoping that Domi's notoriously poor defense and thinks-he's-a-star-player mentality don't make him a regrettable signing. A big offensive year could make us completely forget his other characteristics.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The silly part about this is that I would be willing to bet that in about 4 months everyone on this site will be loving Bertuzzi. Barring long-term injuries, I think he will score 40 goals on this team.
If he plays 60 games and scores 15-20 I think most would be satisfied.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Assuming they sign him for a couple more years, I can see that. :sarcasm:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I wouldn't be satisfied. He's an offensive player. He has to produce. He isn't a Kerfoot/Hyman type taking on defensive responsibilities to give him value as a player.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If he plays anything more than 60 games I think he will easily score 30 goals given the linemates and PP time he will have. 40 goals if he plays a full season.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It’s been a pretty poor off season. This team is worse this year than it was last.
I think it is definitely a better team than last season. Probably the runaway winner of the Atlantic division barring a team like Buffalo having a massive surge.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it is definitely a better team than last season. Probably the runaway winner of the Atlantic division barring a team like Buffalo having a massive surge.
It is a much better team than last season Opening night for sure. Esp since Muzzin went down with the injury, while Malgin is on the roster.
Knies, Bert and Domi are better depth than Bunting, Engvall and Kerfoot. Reaves will provide more than Malgin. Lafferty, Kampf and Calle are good pieces.
Just hope Keefe don’t f it up.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
They are different than last year but I'm not sure better. Not worse either though. Matthews is what matters. How hurt was he playing last year? And if he was hurt is he back to full strength?

If is drop-off in production last year was due to a lingering injury, and he is back to full strength, they are a slightly better (and different) team than last year. (possibly a 115+ point team)

However, if his performance last year was more indicative of who he is and the year before was just his 'career' year, then they are likely the same as last year in terms of how good they are.

I'm leaning more toward the first one, and betting on Matthews being closer to what he was 2 years ago than last year, and thus the team being somewhat better (but not a lot better).

As for the Division, I think Buffalo is still a year away from contending with the Leafs. Power is only in his 2nd year and as much talent as he has on the backend, D-men usually take a few season to reach their potential. They have big time questions in net, and the forward group is just still so young. I think Buf will eventually be a bigger threat than Ottawa, but I think Ottawa is a step ahead of Buffalo next year and ultimatly more likley to challenge the Leafs and Florida for the top spot in the division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad