Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Lysell has waivers so unless he moon walks while scoring a couple more he’s down

They won’t lose Braz to keep Lysell

My 9/25 feeling

Zacha- EL- Pasta

Marchand- Coyle - Johnson

Freddy- Poitras- Geek

Beecher - Kastelic- Jones
Braz

Lysell down but he’s a long termer if he plays really well

Brown is Brown ~ he will be up and down before he ends up in the organization or coaching college hockey

Solved

Merk I think has waivers as well - I would not expose him

Numbers against 23 & 42 if everyone healthy if not, gotta think one or both stay

If they play 5'8 Johnson in the starting lineup over the size we at last have, Bruins need a new coach. There are rosters he can play for today but for the Bruins it is 13th or Providence.

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
If Poitras and Lysell make the team, then Brazeau either makes it as a 4th liner or he is the 13th forward. I don't see anyone on the fourth line who is cast in stone and not susceptible to rotating out of the lineup.
Sirort said last night on the broadcast that Johnson will not be signed out of camp (or something along thkse lines) but Sweeney wants him to hang around kind of like heinen last year which tells me there saving the money for the goalie. That being said I think if poitras lysel make it you are right brazeau would be the 13th forward roating in and out with the 4th line
That is if lysel continues to improve and earns a spot. Need to see him play 2 games with 13-63 before giving him that spot.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Great comments. Great attitude.

OT: I love that he says it's easier for him to be physical. Having kids who play, it's super easy to be physical when you're the biggest kid on the ice. It's easy to be 'tough' and knock the smaller kids around, but it isn't brave. It's the small players that are brave. The guys who engage in battle with someone a foot taller and 50 pounds heavier. I don't think those guys get enough credit for their heart in youth sports or the NHL. It always galled me that folks talked about Grzelcyk like he was afraid. Bullshit. That guy battled as hard as he could. He didn't have the size or strength to overpower people in certain situations but he battled and the folks who act like he didn't bug the shit out of me. They root for the bullies and mock the bullied even when the bullied stand in and take a pounding for the team.
Here, here. And there there. 👈 👀

Reactions: PlayMakers

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
If they play 5'8 Johnson in the starting lineup over the size we at last have, Bruins need a new coach. There are rosters he can play for today but for the Bruins it is 13th or Providence.
I'm not so sure.

I am ecstatic about an astonishing turn toward size and truculence.

I didn't think Sweeney had it in him, even if he continues to deny the obvious course correction.

However, Tyler Johnson, height and weight not withstanding, has substantial playoff experience, two Stanley Cups and appears to be a young 34.

I can be persuaded that his intelligence, veteran experience and solid play might prove invaluable.

I would like to see more, from Johnson and the prospects vying for his job, before drawing final conclusions.

I believe there are 4-6 remaining preseason games, line looks and plenty of practice time to ascertain what, and who, makes the most sense for this particular team, this particular season.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Funny that if both Lysell and Brazeau look good, Bruins suddenly have too many right wingers.

Lysell
Brazeau
Pasta
Geekie
Kastelic
Johnson
Brown

Brown and Kastelic are both 4th liners who can also play center. Geekie and Johnson can play center also. Thinking Lysell and Johnson really need to impress to stick around.
Edited to fix.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If Poitras and Lysell make the team, then Brazeau either makes it as a 4th liner or he is the 13th forward. I don't see anyone on the fourth line who is cast in stone and not susceptible to rotating out of the lineup.

Beechers probably the closest one to being a fixture on the 4th line.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In a perfect world I see him as a dangerous 13th forward.
Zacha-E Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Lysell/Poitras
Frederic-Poitras/Merkulov-Geekie
Jones-Beecher-Kastelic
Brazeau

So in my perfect world 2 kids make it Poitras plus Lysell or Merkulov.

Even then it seems to me that Brazeau and Jones are in a tougher battle then people think with Tufte, Koepke, Duran and Kuntar. I might even throw Farinacci onto that list as I think his game could translate to the 4th line.

I think at this point, Brazeau is a better player than all but Poitras of those you mentioned.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I could see crossing out Brown. But Johnson?
If Lysell forces the issue, then absolutely.

I was fully in favour of a PTO for Johnson. Wanted to see if he could push Lysell and make him earn a spot on the roster. If Lysell doesn’t step up and make a definitive case, I’m okay with Johnson making the team. But preference is the homegrown young talent 100%.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm not so sure.

I didn't think Sweeney had it in him, even if he continues to deny the obvious course correction.

However, Tyler Johnson, height and weight not withstanding, has substantial playoff experience, two Stanley Cups and appears to be a young 34.

I can be persuaded that his intelligence, veteran experience and solid play might prove invaluable.

I would like to see more, from Johnson and the prospects vying for his job, before drawing final conclusions.

I believe there are 4-6 remaining preseason games, line looks and plenty of practice time to ascertain what, and who, makes the most sense for this particular team, this particular season.

I’ll take a team where the 5’9 - 180 pounder is the outlier over the team where the 6’2 - 215 pounder is, 100/100!

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Anyone wanna give me a quick couple high level bullet points to summarize camp so far? I'm behind on the happenings. What little time I've had for the forum recently has all gone to the Swayman thread lol.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I think at this point, Brazeau is a better player than all but Poitras of those you mentioned.
I’m not so sure. I respect your opinion but I think the two way play of Lysell may very well be a better fit for the top 6. Lysell is going to be more of a puck hound and that should allow him to create more plays for teammates. We shall see what the Bruins decide. And then in two weeks we might see them change their minds.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Even then it seems to me that Brazeau and Jones are in a tougher battle then people think with Tufte, Koepke, Duran and Kuntar. I might even throw Farinacci onto that list as I think his game could translate to the 4th line.

Jones is not getting waived. He could start the year on AI, but he was more of a priority fA for them. they are not waiving him out of camp. Maybe at some point they trade him, but I'd seriously doubt it

I'm not so sure.

Not sure why anyone would think Johnson is a young 34 because he has fresh legs a week into camp. He looked very old for his age the last 3 season.

My concern with him is what we see with a lot of these guys, with fresh legs early in the season they can look ok, but after being beat down for a year there is nothing left when the games count and it is hard for the locker room to cut or bench these veterans with playoff experience

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I am thinking Lysell might be the real deal. I just hope Johnson doesn’t become a Monty binky and takes the job from Lysell.
Last year Monty let Heinen ride the pine for a while before giving him a run. I think the internal players have to lose this spot if he is there on day 1. Unless some other team offers him a contract I expect him to practice with the team and see how things start if he is not on the day 1 roster.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Jones is not getting waived. He could start the year on AI, but he was more of a priority fA for them. they are not waiving him out of camp. Maybe at some point they trade him, but I'd seriously doubt it
Not sure why anyone would think Johnson is a young 34 because he has fresh legs a week into camp. He looked very old for his age the last 3 season.
My concern with him is what we see with a lot of these guys, with fresh legs early in the season they can look ok, but after being beat down for a year there is nothing left when the games count and it is hard for the locker room to cut or bench these veterans with playoff experience

Monty did sit veterans during the playoffs last season.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Sure but I don’t think that applies to PTOs as much. I’m not sure if you agree.

I look at it this way: it is much about asset management as icing the best roster. Unless Lysell is head and shoulders a better option, then him not being waiver eligible makes the decision to send him down much easier. They won't lose him, and if Johnson is in the same ballpark as to what Lysell brings right now, and they like him, they sign him instead of losing him to another knowing that Lysell is safe.

Or, they just want to see how Johnson looks in game action, and he needs to be signed to do that. Again, Lysell can be sent down with no problem, and brought back just as easily if Johnson sucks.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Reminds me a bit of Dave Andreychuk, not the most skillful guy in the world but he gets to where the goals are scored and he knows how to finish.

Probably a more appropriate comp would be Mike Knuble.
Knuble was basically stopping at a yard sale 25 years ago and seeing Topps 1960’s cards in mint condition in a box saying $5 for all

What luck that was

The andreychuk-LaFontaine - Mogilny line is in the conversation for best line I’ve ever seen

Andreychuk 4 goal game for Bruins was infront of me ~ he was traded soon after - very soon

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I look at it this way: it is much about asset management as icing the best roster. Unless Lysell is head and shoulders a better option, then him not being waiver eligible makes the decision to send him down much easier. They won't lose him, and if Johnson is in the same ballpark as to what Lysell brings right now, and they like him, they sign him instead of losing him to another knowing that Lysell is safe.

Or, they just want to see how Johnson looks in game action, and he needs to be signed to do that. Again, Lysell can be sent down with no problem, and brought back just as easily if Johnson sucks.
I disagree with the bolded. The sentiment of protecting assets is true, for appreciating assets. We have no need to protect a depreciating asset in Johnson at the expense of nhl growth for our kids unless he tears that spot away or all the kids complete fall on their faces.

Now if Lysell is neck and neck with Brazeau, Jones and Tufte, then sure send him down and let him keep grinding.

Reactions: dugg133 and Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad