Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Jones is not getting waived. He could start the year on AI, but he was more of a priority fA for them. they are not waiving him out of camp. Maybe at some point they trade him, but I'd seriously doubt it

Not sure why anyone would think Johnson is a young 34 because he has fresh legs a week into camp. He looked very old for his age the last 3 season.

My concern with him is what we see with a lot of these guys, with fresh legs early in the season they can look ok, but after being beat down for a year there is nothing left when the games count and it is hard for the locker room to cut or bench these veterans with playoff experience
Fair enough.

We'll see.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I am thinking Lysell might be the real deal. I just hope Johnson doesn’t become a Monty binky and takes the job from Lysell.
Takes the job from Lysell? No, Lysell has to take the job from Johnson.

The opportunity is there, but he has to earn it.

Also, considering waivers and whatnot people need to remember the guy up at the end of the year might not be the guy up at the start of the year. How many times was Lohrei up and down? A lot. Could easily be the same for Lysell.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I disagree with the bolded. The sentiment of protecting assets is true, for appreciating assets. We have no need to protect a depreciating asset in Johnson at the expense of nhl growth for our kids unless he tears that spot away or all the kids complete fall on their faces.

Now if Lysell is neck and neck with Brazeau, Jones and Tufte, then sure send him down and let him keep grinding.
Just saying why I think waivers could matter here, not that I agree with the mindset and certainly I would prefer Lysell over Johnson in the lineup in a situation where one is not clearly better than the other. And there is also the preference for the veteran in that situation that we see all too often.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
No thanks on that contract
And what would you pay Frederic? 3 a year for 5 years. To me he should be a priority signing this off season. Comparables for him] with points/pims are Dakota Joshua, Tom Wilson, Adam Lowry, Marcus Foligno.

5/25 is a bargain for a physical player who can score, fight, hit and is a very good defensively. Sorry if you don't like him.

I would start him at second line RW.

Reactions: Bodit9

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Also, considering waivers and whatnot people need to remember the guy up at the end of the year might not be the guy up at the start of the year. How many times was Lohrei up and down? A lot. Could easily be the same for Lysell.

I get what you are saying, but don't like the phrasing because Johnson doesn't own the job either. No one has to take anything away from a guy on a PTO

There is a job, and there are 5 or so guys who want the job. No one is the default in the position. Johnson should have to outwork and show he is better than the other options just as much as Lysell should

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
And what would you pay Frederic? 3 a year for 5 years. To me he should be a priority signing this off season. Comparables for him] with points/pims are Dakota Joshua, Tom Wilson, Adam Lowry, Marcus Foligno.

5/25 is a bargain for a physical player who can score, fight, hit and is a very good defensively. Sorry if you don't like him.

I like Freddy, but we have not seen the consistency needed to consider him a top 6W. He isn’t close to Wilson in any way. Hes better than Joshua, Lowry, and Foligino…but those guys aren’t top 6 players either.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Trent has always been a bit of an enigma to me. Some games he's engaged and physical, others not so much.
Some games he's got sweet hands and creates nice moves, others not so much.
IMO when he's got other big heavy dudes paired with him or on the team (which hasn't been often since he's been here) he steps up more knowing he's not the only biggie on the ice for the B's.
IMO he's pretty smart when it comes to dropping the gloves. He's taken on some bigger boys and come out on top because (in at least one occasion) he let the opponent throw himself down and out of the fight. So he allows the
other guy to commit to throwing his body behind the punch and then (TF) rolls with it and the other guy stumbles forward. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this?
I also feel as though the coaches don't give him enough time on the PP but again that can just be my impression and not the reality?

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Knuble was basically stopping at a yard sale 25 years ago and seeing Topps 1960’s cards in mint condition in a box saying $5 for all

What luck that was

The andreychuk-LaFontaine - Mogilny line is in the conversation for best line I’ve ever seen

Andreychuk 4 goal game for Bruins was infront of me ~ he was traded soon after - very soon
Wow U a card guy ?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I disagree with the bolded. The sentiment of protecting assets is true, for appreciating assets. We have no need to protect a depreciating asset in Johnson at the expense of nhl growth for our kids unless he tears that spot away or all the kids complete fall on their faces.

Now if Lysell is neck and neck with Brazeau, Jones and Tufte, then sure send him down and let him keep grinding.

I look at it as a strength of depth thing. Last season they used 22 forwards. The season before that, they used 22 forwards.

If you send Lysell down, you can use both Johnson and Lysell this year. If you let Johnson walk you're stuck with a mixture of rookies and AHL vets.

(Again, this is assuming that Johnson looks better than the AHL vets and Lysell doesn't really distinguish/separate himself.)

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I get what you are saying, but don't like the phrasing because Johnson doesn't own the job either. No one has to take anything away from a guy on a PTO

There is a job, and there are 5 or so guys who want the job. No one is the default in the position. Johnson should have to outwork and show he is better than the other options just as much as Lysell should
Of course, and Johnson has to earn a contract for sure. he doesn't get one unless he shows something. However, unlike Lysell, he has an NHL body of work behind him. The question is simply does he still have something left in the tank. That's what he has to show and so far he seems like he might. Is he a real fill for the DeBrusk hole? No, not really, but he does allow Lysell more time and makes Lysell compete harder for that spot if he wants it.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023

I get what you’re saying about the up and down thing. Why is the job handed to Johnson and Lysell has to take it from him? We have a great prospect but he has to win the job away from a player who wasn’t offered a contract by any team in the league?

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Trent Frederic Comps
Wilson $6.5
Josh Anderson $5.5
Crouse $4.3
Foegele $3.5
Joshua $3.25
Paul $3.1
Jeannot $2.6
He is not in the same class as Wilson.
That Anderson contract was an abomination from the start.
So 3-4 mil is the comp, increase for cap in the next few years and I think 4.5 is reasonable for Frederick. He will want 5+ though.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Trent Frederic Comps
Wilson $6.5
Josh Anderson $5.5
Crouse $4.3
Foegele $3.5
Joshua $3.25
Paul $3.1
Jeannot $2.6

Wilson has been on the top line the last half decade, he might be who Frederic uses as a comparison but there is no way.

Anderson's contract went downhill almost immediately as his career appears to have derailed after Columbus?

$3 to $4 million seems fair enough for both parties with Frederic. The inconsistency is his biggest fault. At his best he is similar to Coyle but if that is only 20% of the time? The rest of the time Frederic is low impact two way player. His hits are closer to Shawn Thornton hits than Lucic hits as well and this past season is an outlier for the hits count.

Another prove it season this year. Who is the player really.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
So, Waiver Exempt players via Boston Bruins Puckpedia:

1727354651573.png

1727354701047.png
Most likely a roster player this season.

Providence players requiring Waivers competing for a roster spot:
1727354756140.png

1727354772568.png

1727354782223.png

Waiver required players competing for a roster spot:
1727354856174.png
Probably kept as extra 7th D
1727354892548.png

1727354918421.png
Lettieri will be Prov bound, Johnson is unsigned

D is pretty much set.
Of the possible 13 forwards listed above, there are 5 bottom 6 spots available. There is just enough spots to cover the waiver eligible players and the PTO if he is signed. This means there will be fierce competition for any spots at all for the waiver-eligible players with Poitras far ahead of the rest of the pack.

As @Gee Wally is trying to point out, we could see some unhappy posters
once the opening night roster is released due to business decisions.

If Lysell is playing at a B+ level and Brazzeau a B level, Lysell will be back in Providence purely based on his waiver-exempt status.

So not only do waiver-exempt players need to outplay their competition for a roster spot, they need to do so by a wide enough margin to justify waiving a possible waiver-eligible player and losing that asset.

Puts the kids squarely behind the 8 ball.

Attachments

• 1727354730573.png
    1727354730573.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Lysell and Poitras lock to make the big squad. Jones the 13th forward. Brazzeau line 4. TJ can sit at the Heinen locker from last year until an injury
Brown would have to be waived and TJ not get signed on his PTO. Beecher and the rest of the waiver kids back to the bus.

Lysell would have to play well enough consistently for Sweeney to risk losing Brown to waivers. Which is not all that high a bar, but a bar Fabian will have to still clear.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Lysell and Poitras lock to make the big squad. Jones the 13th forward. Brazzeau line 4. TJ can sit at the Heinen locker from last year until an injury
Not even close on Lysell. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Poitras sent down to get in better game shape. H hasn't played in 9 months. He's going to be rusty when real games start.

This assumption that Providence is some prison sentence for guys is ridiculous. It is the same whiney shit every year. What the roster looks like now will be different in a month from now and we all know it will look much different in 4-5 months from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad