Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Psh, Polak lets Phaneuf walk right into the slot, Phaneuf gives a light slapper towards the net trying to get his ailing team going as captain, and everybody gets their panties in a bunch over Phaneuf because the puck went towards the net and lightly hit the player on the opposing side.

THE HORRORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Surely nothing like this has EVER happened in the history of sport, ever. Ever. EVERRRRRRRR!

Surely not to high-character individuals. Never in a million years. No. Nu huh. Not a chance.

When I see a guy acting like a dink I assume he is a dink. Occams razor and all that.

I can see why you like Phaneuf though.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It was just an illogical play by phaneuf. Even a veteran guy like polak was wondering why the hell he did that. What does phaneuf have to prove in a scrimmage anyway?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050
Lot of direction this morning on defensive zone system from Peter Horachek and Randy Carlyle. Step-by-step instruction.

At least they didn't start doing this mid-season like last season.

Progress?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Almost certain the whole Phaneuf/Polak thing is being blown out of proportion. It's a competitive environment, tempers flare. Players fight, and take shots at each other, this is no different.

He deliberately shot the puck at Polak?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
cv might as well be warming up for the ohl since top 6 are about set, unless he plays rw on line two, but there are nhl experienced players who can compete for the spot.

finn is far below on the depth chart to be the 7th, and he wouldn't develop there anyways.

the six d are probably rielly, gardiner, phaneuf, franson, robidas, polak. granberg, percy, and holzer are proven at the ahl level where finn hasn't even played. his skating isn't great for a defenseman, and i wonder how he'd do at the ahl level even.

It would have been nice to get CV a little more training camp time IMO, but I guess they probably wanted him to just play the full season in the OHL. Probably figured it wouldn't hurt to just send him straight there. Still it's mildly dissapointing. He looked good in training camp so far, and getting that kind of playing time with pro players could only help him.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
No surprise here especially with Finn. There are some major holes in his game. Not sure if another year in junior will help or riding the pine in the AHL but lots of work required.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It's being blown out of proportion by leaps and bounds. I'm not surprised.

He skated the puck up, took a slap shot and Polak blocked it from close ish range.

Both did their job. One tried to score the other blocked it. Sure Polak can be mad that Phaneuf took the shot but really, it's not a big deal. It's not like Phaneuf shot it high in the face of Polak or threw a hit from behind, it was a low shot.

I'm surprised people are still harping on this 2 days later. Jesus. I saw worst at the beer league last night.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's being blown out of proportion by leads and bounds. I'm not surprised.

He skated the puck up, took a slap shot and Polak blocked it from close ish range.

Both did their job. One tried to score the other blocked it. Sure Polak can be mad that Phaneuf took the shot but really, it's not a big deal.

I'm surprised people are still harping on this 2 days later. Jesus.

Not surprising at all, pretty funny though.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

Polak was standing in front of the net. So it was kind of like a blocked shot.

From what I remember, it seemed like Phaneuf skated the puck up the ice when no one else was really paying attention or playing... and Polak was basically just standing there and Phaneuf ripped a shot towards the net and hit Polak in the lower body... probably just went off his shin pads, so I don't think he got hurt... but I can understand why Polak would be like "wtf"?

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
It was just a dumb thing to do, especially as a captain of a team.

I can't imagine a leader from any other team pulling this in a scrimmage game.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
No surprise here especially with Finn. There are some major holes in his game. Not sure if another year in junior will help or riding the pine in the AHL but lots of work required.

He's better than he showed at camp and has absolutely nothing to learn from the AHL anymore. He was the Storm's all star, big minute #1Dman that was fantastic on the specialty teams and even strength. He was their go-to defensive and offensive dman as well as their Captain. He helped the Storm destroy the OHL and were (in my opinion) the best team in the Memorial cup that lost 1 game (after beating the oil king in the tournament already).

Absolutely deserves to be in the AHL and will probably be top pairing by the end of the season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
heh.

only in toronto can a player be criticized for playing physical and shooting the puck on net.

what a bunch of dummies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
did anyone post this?

Paul Hendrick
Leafs cut10: Stefan Della Rovere.
Spencer Machacek
Ryan Rupert
Patrick Watling
Matt Finn
Francis Wathier
Brett Findlay
All sent to the Marlies.
#TMLtalk

Matt Rupert, Cody Donaghey and Carter Verhaeghe have all been sent back to their junior clubs. #TMLtalk

big dissappointment from Finn. kid's got some bigtime work to do.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In the context of how/where it happened, it was a dick move; but would hope to see more of this from him in a real game.

I really don't see the big deal. It was a scrimmage. He shot on net with a low shot that caught Polak. Perhaps he saw a nice hole through the screen to put it in.

Is he not supposed to try in scrimmage even with his experience? I don't get it.

Is it any better then Ashton slashing McLaren to break his finger or a young player dishing out a huge hit to make an impression? Like really? Are we going to bubble wrap these players? Isn't there supposed to be competition in the ranks? Pushing each other and creating a high pressure camp? I saw plenty of players pissed at each other for big hits in pre-season and scrimmages, even in this years pre-season... are they idiots too?

Do I really need to see Phaneuf skate in the corner and leave the puck there because god forbid he plays a bit too rough.

Polak can be mad and pissed off at the situation but I'm sure he'd be the first to say that it's fine and nothing about it.

So stupid that we are still talking about this.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He's better than he showed at camp and has absolutely nothing to learn from the AHL anymore. He was the Storm's all star, big minute #1Dman that was fantastic on the specialty teams and even strength. He was their go-to defensive and offensive dman as well as their Captain. He helped the Storm destroy the OHL and were (in my opinion) the best team in the Memorial cup that lost 1 game (after beating the oil king in the tournament already).

Absolutely deserves to be in the AHL and will probably be top pairing by the end of the season.

He has an impressive résumé on that strong stacked OHL team but was an ugly minus 3 in the M-Cup final and looked outmatched in that game with the skating and pressure coming at him. I started questioning things then and seeing him since has done nothing to counter that question -- all the best to him though. Anyway these comments should be in the Matt Finn thread.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Polak was standing in front of the net. So it was kind of like a blocked shot.

From what I remember, it seemed like Phaneuf skated the puck up the ice when no one else was really paying attention or playing... and Polak was basically just standing there and Phaneuf ripped a shot towards the net and hit Polak in the lower body... probably just went off his shin pads, so I don't think he got hurt... but I can understand why Polak would be like "wtf"?

in the middle of scrimmage, everyone just stopped paying attention? really?

and the guy who was paying attention and taking it seriously is the one that gets criticized?

do you guys ever think before you post?

if polak got hurt because he wasn't paying attention then he should be getting heavily criticized.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I really don't see the big deal. It was a scrimmage. He shot on net with a low shot that caught Polak. Perhaps he saw a nice hole through the screen to put it in.

Is he not supposed to try in scrimmage even with his experience? I don't get it.

Is it any better then Ashton slashing McLaren to break his finger or a young player dishing out a huge hit to make an impression? Like really? Are we going to bubble wrap these players? Isn't there supposed to be competition in the ranks? Pushing each other and creating a high pressure?

It wouldn't even have been mentioned if any other player on the Team did it.
Some fans, :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't think Matt Rupert was ever going to be offered an NHL contract so soon. The fact of the matter is we might offer him an AHL contract that he would almost certainly accept...due to Ryan being on the team, him being from Ontario, and a lack of NHL teams knocking on his door. So why would we offer him an NHL contract when him signing an AHL contract would be a certainty?

..... i didn't think we would send him an NHL contract, I didn't even say I did.... did i?
(I'm tired. so if I meant that, i'm sorry). i meant that we didn't offer him a contract period. AHL or entry level or whatever, since we had him for the rookie tourny + camp until today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad