Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace88*

Are you guys serious lol? This whole year there have been multiple posters clamouring how Finn looks like he has "legit top pairing potential" and he's gonna be "at least a great #3" down the road. I dont have a list of folks who said stuff like that because i dont care enough to keep track of such stupid things, but oh my god yes, people were definitely saying such things.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I don't think 1 Mem cup game and a couple of prospect games should take away from 2 strong seasons and a fantastic playoff run last year. 100+ games of being one of the best defenders in the OHL > 3-4 games at the start of training camp with new team/defensive partner (who was definitely worse than Finn in those games).

Keep in mind that he was also left off the WJC team, probably for the same reasons as we're seeing now and in the MC - difficulty handling high end speed and skill. I don't think he's the sure thing 2nd/3rd pairing D a lot of people made him out to be last year. Probably less than 50/50 to be an NHL regular.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Keep in mind that he was also left off the WJC team, probably for the same reasons as we're seeing now and in the MC - difficulty handling high end speed and skill. I don't think he's the sure thing 2nd/3rd pairing D a lot of people made him out to be last year. Probably less than 50/50 to be an NHL regular.

Connor Brown and Matt Finn not making the WJC is just another reason why they haven't been successful in the last few years..

Absolute joke that neither of them were on the team.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
lol, People harping on Finn? They want him to get ready for the season. They have enough guys vying for the 1 spot on defense as it is. Rather him get down to the Marlies, learn the system and get ready for his first AHL season.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Not surprised at all with the cuts except for Verhaghe - thought they'd give him an exhibition game.

Glad to see the Rupert twins and Della Rovere cut, they're a waste of space.. Not sure why Brad Ross wasn't included with them... He's terrible and doesn't belong in an NHL camp.

I would have trimmed the roster even more.. There's lot of guys still in main camp who are just taking ice time from guys you'd like to see get a long look.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Are you guys serious lol? This whole year there have been multiple posters clamouring how Finn looks like he has "legit top pairing potential" and he's gonna be "at least a great #3" down the road. I dont have a list of folks who said stuff like that because i dont care enough to keep track of such stupid things, but oh my god yes, people were definitely saying such things.

I remember reading stuff like that as well.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
matt finn was cut because his focus needs to be on the marlies not with the leafs. We've got a ton of bodies at main camp and theres only so many preseason games.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Not surprised at all with the cuts except for Verhaghe - thought they'd give him an exhibition game.

Glad to see the Rupert twins and Della Rovere cut, they're a waste of space.. Not sure why Brad Ross wasn't included with them... He's terrible and doesn't belong in an NHL camp.

I would have trimmed the roster even more.. There's lot of guys still in main camp who are just taking ice time from guys you'd like to see get a long look.

I agree with your sentiment, but I think they're keeping a lot of guys around because of all the games (including a split-squad game) this week - they need the bodies for that. I would prefer less preseason games so that they could cut the roster right down to those with a legit shot of playing for the Leafs at some point during the season.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I remember reading stuff like that as well.

The kid probably has friends and family reading the board. I feel bad for the kid because he is not out of the woods yet. The AHL will be a tough transition from what I have seen so far.

From the hype I was expecting a top 3 prospect coming in. I had never seen him play before.

Jacob8hockey*

Finn has definitely been overrated by Leaf fans over the last two years. People have had him penciled in everywhere in future lineups.

The guy is still a good prospect even if he was part of the first cuts. Im sure he knew as well as Leaf management knew that he was a long shot to make the roster this year and getting him ready early for Marlies camp will give him an advantage in the sense that he already knows this is where he will be playing so he can get use to it.

I think his play this training camp/rookie tourny has shown us that he needs a lot of work but the potential is there.

The one thing going for him is he played a massive role in Guelph and played a ton of minutes and is guaranteed to be gifted a spot on the Marlies this year while some guys who may even perform better won't get that chance.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
matt finn was cut because his focus needs to be on the marlies not with the leafs. We've got a ton of bodies at main camp and theres only so many preseason games.

Top rank prospects are not usually early cuts so it's a bit of a reality check and eye opener for Finn to be among the first cuts.

Perhaps he came in a little over confident based on his OHL success and now this might be a motivational tool for him to focus on his weaknesses and push him a little.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
So is Finn a bust?

I don't see any way this kid could make the Leafs this year anyway.He still could develop as a top 4 dman but he clearly needs to step his game up to do it.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
He has the best season of his junior career, showed tremendous improvement since being drafted (both offensively and defensively), is a captain that all of the storm players loved, and after 2 meaningless games with a dpartner who was horrible he's thrown under the bus and his entire last season means nothing?

Who cares if he got cut, management is obviously keen on letting their junior players play in the AHL before transitioning to the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
lol, People harping on Finn? They want him to get ready for the season. They have enough guys vying for the 1 spot on defense as it is. Rather him get down to the Marlies, learn the system and get ready for his first AHL season.

Finn's mobility seems to be an issue as he got walked numerous times in the rookie tournament and got caught standing still or flat footed.

Perhaps management want him to get some 1 on 1 time with skating coach Barb Underhill and work on this skating before the Marlies season begins and the rest of the team shows up for their camp.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The kid probably has friends and family reading the board. I feel bad for the kid because he is not out of the woods yet. The AHL will be a tough transition from what I have seen so far.

From the hype I was expecting a top 3 prospect coming in. I had never seen him play before.

I hope his friends and family aren't reading this board. But if they are, they better develop a thick skin in a hurry. :nod:

Ace88*

He has the best season of his junior career, showed tremendous improvement since being drafted (both offensively and defensively), is a captain that all of the storm players loved, and after 2 meaningless games with a dpartner who was horrible he's thrown under the bus and his entire last season means nothing?

Who cares if he got cut, management is obviously keen on letting their junior players play in the AHL before transitioning to the NHL.

Your words, no one else's.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

You are among the posters who have been pumping his tires....you are not alone.....look at the posters who voted him among our top prospects...

You need not look farther then at our top 30 prospect polls to see just how over rated he was by many on here when he was ranked second and over Holland I may add....

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1703681&highlight=leafs+top+prospects+matt+finn

He was over rated...

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
In any case, Finn has a much higher probability of making the NHL as a player than a typical HFBoards poster would in making the NHL as a scout.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Finn's mobility seems to be an issue as he got walked numerous times in the rookie tournament and got caught standing still or flat footed.

Perhaps management want him to get some 1 on 1 time with skating coach Barb Underhill and work on this skating before the Marlies season begins and the rest of the team shows up for their camp.

I haven't been impressed anytime I've ever seen him play.

He seems to play like Phaneuf in his own zone, where he stands still waiting for others to do the work.

If you look at Phaneuf's 'touches' in his own zone, it backs up my statement about him standing still too.

I don't believe Finn will make the NHL, as his mobility is sorely lacking.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Matt Finn might have been overrated by some before but that's nothing compared to the kind of verdict people are tossing around right now about a 20-year old who just had a rather bad camp.

I guess we will see many of the same posters make predictions of the teams long-term chances based on how the pre-season goes as well, would be the same kind of logic.

Matt Finn is who he has always been, a player with the skillset and character to become a good player down the road, if he addresses and develops a few weaknesses. He was always going to go back to AHL, he had no shot at the NHL club so the cut shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
You are among the posters who have been pumping his tires....you are not alone.....look at the posters who voted him among our top prospects...

You need not look farther then at our top 30 prospect polls to see just how over rated he was by many on here when he was ranked second and over Holland I may add....

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1703681&highlight=leafs+top+prospects+matt+finn

He was over rated...

I'll stand by him now and be ready for everybody to jump back on his bandwagon before the end of the AHL season.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I haven't been impressed anytime I've ever seen him play.

He seems to play like Phaneuf in his own zone, where he stands still waiting for others to do the work.

If you look at Phaneuf's 'touches' in his own zone, it backs up my statement about him standing still too.

I don't believe Finn will make the NHL, as his mobility is sorely lacking.

In all fairness, all players, especially defenseman have weaknesses at his age. I wasn't overly impressed with him either, but he still has a lot of opportunity to improve.

Look at Tavares for example; he wasn't a very good skater at 19 or 20, but a few years really focussing on skating can have excellent results. I'm sure he knows it's something he needs to improve, now it's up to him to put in the work and get better.

No 20 year old should be written off so early.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'll stand by him now and be ready for everybody to jump back on his bandwagon before the end of the AHL season.

What does him improving have to do with him being over rated now?

Nothing, his character and work ethic will allow him to improve, but that changes nothing about him being over rated. He has a long road ahead of him if he is ever going to be a full time NHL D man....his skating is a huge issue and that is not a quick fix. I hope he exceeds the expectations of his biggest supporters as it would mean that he is a top 4 D man in the NHL and I would be ecstatic if that were to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad