Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
The one thing I like about Holland is his shot. It can be pretty lethal and accurate and if he uses it more, he could have some success in the NHL level.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have a crazy feeling that he'll start the season with the Marlies. We have a lot of forwards and he is the only one who is waiver exempt. It buys management more time to decide who is waiver fodder or to work out a Colborne-like trade. It also probably wouldn't hurt his game to figure out the NA rink at a slower pace.

He played two years in the AHL already at almost a PPG he will not be sent to the Marlies. ..

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Here's a good question: How is Franson doing? He missed camp last year because he wanted to get paid and had an awful season. Is he still not looking good and we should just move on from him and get assets or keep him for now and ride it out a little bit?

Same with any waiver eligible guys. Are any going to make the team or worthy of being on a team elsewhere, or will they just head to the waiver wire?

The word is he's improved upon his foot-speed.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
If Holland can put it all together that would be great. We can then go Kadri-Holland-Bozak down the middle. Be good news for the Leafs. The success of Holland might be the tipping block for Bozak moving down.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The break through of Peter Holland, will allow Mike Santorelli to possibly be in the mix for the 2RW spot as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Holland has a breakthrough year this season, it may provide a cheaper option this summer for Nonis to sign this summer, I see Holland being part of this team long term if he has a good year offensively and defensively. This is the player he wants to be, and with us tight to the cap, it will allow us to trade other players that are looking for raises this summer.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
If Holland has a breakthrough year this season, it may provide a cheaper option this summer for Nonis to sign this summer, I see Holland being part of this team long term if he has a good year offensively and defensively. This is the player he wants to be, and with us tight to the cap, it will allow us to trade other players that are looking for raises this summer.

What does Kadri have to do this season for you to stop pushing him out the door?

officialmark*

With Franson on the 3rd pair I think he's going to have a great season. He was in over his head playing top 4. He will put up 40+ points, I just hope he gets better defensively.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
With Franson on the 3rd pair I think he's going to have a great season. He was in over his head playing top 4. He will put up 40+ points, I just hope he gets better defensively.
Isn't it possible that he's going to be paired with Dion? Nonis said that Polak was brought in to be a #4-5 so I'm thinking he's going to play with one of Gardiner or Rielly.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Top six is essentially the same. Bottom six is throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. D is essentially set, just seeing whom pairs with whom. Gs are no-brainer.

I'd wager a roster over-haul next season, especially the bottom-six.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Top six is essentially the same. Bottom six is throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. D is essentially set, just seeing whom pairs with whom. Gs are no-brainer.

I'd wager a roster over-haul next season, especially the bottom-six.
I can see Bozak dropping down the
depth chart. I think Holland and Kadri become our future tandem unless we find alternatives.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The break through of Peter Holland, will allow Mike Santorelli to possibly be in the mix for the 2RW spot as well.

Leafs are a bad draw team, they need Santorelli playing center.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd somewhat agree, however, this feels more like a band-aid solution. I think most of the bottom-six on one year contracts will not back next year tbh. This includes Orr, Santorelli,winnik, booth, kontiola, and Bodie.

bottom six guys should always be on cheap short contracts.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs are a bad draw team, they need Santorelli playing center.

I'd rather have Holland as the 2nd RW then Santorelli.

Santorelli will very likely play with Booth anyway. Just throw Winnik on that line and it's one of your bottom 6 lines. That could be a really good line too.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
It's really a shame that none of the scrimmages have been uploaded to the Leaf's site. Yesterday was a nice treat. Really glad to hear Holland continues to impress. Any chance Bibeau gets to play against Philly tomorrow?

After that Phaneuf temper tantrum I wouldn't be surprised if the PR department shut down the feeds. Before he went and punched a baby or something.

It looks like they gave leafstv just a few highlights.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
He played two years in the AHL already at almost a PPG he will not be sent to the Marlies. ..

It's as if you decided to totally ignore what I wrote. He might be sent there temporarily due to status. Secondly, he hasn't played in the A in five and a half years. A few games won't hurt.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'll be the first to admit I haven't follow the news of the schedule very much, but can someone explain to me what's happening on Wednesday? Both the Leafs site, NHL.com and ESPN have us playing two games against the Sens at 7:30, one in Toronto, one in Ottawa.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'll be the first to admit I haven't follow the news of the schedule very much, but can someone explain to me what's happening on Wednesday? Both the Leafs site, NHL.com and ESPN have us playing two games against the Sens at 7:30, one in Toronto, one in Ottawa.

I'd guess a Split Squad game for both Teams.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

They will send a roster to Ottawa on Wednesday and Ottawa will send a squad to Toronto on the same day. 2 games in one night basically.

I assume after Wednesday there will be a lot of cuts.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They will send a roster to Ottawa on Wednesday and Ottawa will send a squad to Toronto on the same day. 2 games in one night basically.

I assume after Wednesday there will be a lot of cuts.

Hmm, that's what I was guessing....makes the prediction contest harder....

Preseason sucks :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad