Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Players that stood out in scrimmage.

Stuart Percy
-He really looks like he put on muscle this summer. His speed has improved dramatically from last season.. He is more stronger on the puck, cycles the puck well out of his zone, lays the body well and hangs on to the puck when in danger. His first pass is decent and his board play albiet needs improvement is passable. The only gribe about him is his shot needs some work.

Peter Holland
-Whatever he was doing this summer has really payed off. He looks more dominant with the puck and faster in his strides especially along the boards. His acceleration has improved leaps and bounds something that has been hampering him past seasons. The one thing you will notice is that he is in shape and it shows in his game, he is involving his team mates more and is passing more which will help him more as a NHL player. His shot is more accurate and powerful, hopefully that transitions to a full 82 game season.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I think when it comes down to it, he's not going to take the 7th spot even if he's good enough. It would go to Holzer or Tallinder or someone of that nature first, and then next year he can take it. We're not going to waste his development by making him the 7th defenseman when he can take top line minutes on the Marlies for now.

Here, here! The only caveat would be if he could make the team as a regular.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think when it comes down to it, he's not going to take the 7th spot even if he's good enough. It would go to Holzer or Tallinder or someone of that nature first, and then next year he can take it. We're not going to waste his development by making him the 7th defenseman when he can take top line minutes on the Marlies for now.
Assuming that Tallinder has a great pre-season which gets him a 1 year contract, wouldn't he be ahead of Holzer for the experience factor? Although does Holzer need to clear waivers before going back to the Marlies? If so would that effect their decision to keep him as the 7th Defenseman when he might not play some nights or do they risk trying to send him back down?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Here, here! The only caveat would be if he could make the team as a regular.

Of course, that applies to any player. Sadly, we have some contracts that will likely mean we have to play them or trade them before Percy gets to play.

Assuming that Tallinder has a great pre-season which gets him a 1 year contract, wouldn't he be ahead of Holzer for the experience factor? Although does Holzer need to clear waivers before going back to the Marlies? If so would that effect their decision to keep him as the 7th Defenseman when he might not play some nights or do they risk trying to send him back down?

We could always trade him too. Though assuming that does not happen, it really depends. Maybe both are impressive enough to push Franson out or we wouldn't sign Tallinder because Holzer would be a good 7th D so why bring in another?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Do you not think the shortened season should be viewed with an asterisk. Kadri had 3 full months head start playing in the AHL. Did he not, did he not come back to earth the last 1/4 of the season.

Regardless it took him 74 games to reach Bozak's points total in 58 in a real 82 game season with no advantages to players. Otherwise you may as well see Mark Fraser as a +15 D man in a shortened season.

Again we want to know what our players are in a real 82 game season, not a 48 asterisk shortened strange season.

Now, back to your stonewalling.

What is it? Did you cite Dion as a positive for QOT or as a negative?

Did I get it right when I read your comment in the Dion thread.

wait. i'm confused.

why does the shortened season have to have an * beside it, but then you say we should support Reimer for what he did in the shortened season? Wouldn't he have an * too beside his play?

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
wait. i'm confused.

why does the shortened season have to have an * beside it, but then you say we should support Reimer for what he did in the shortened season? Wouldn't he have an * too beside his play?

in an 82 game season(that year) with riemer in net ,we would get the 1st overall pick :nod:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If Tallinder plays better than Holzer then we should use him as the #7.

Trade/waive Holzer.

I doubt Holzer improves anymore, and long-term neither should be a part of our D-core.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Peter Holland
-Whatever he was doing this summer has really payed off. He looks more dominant with the puck and faster in his strides especially along the boards. His acceleration has improved leaps and bounds something that has been hampering him past seasons. The one thing you will notice is that he is in shape and it shows in his game, he is involving his team mates more and is passing more which will help him more as a NHL player. His shot is more accurate and powerful, hopefully that transitions to a full 82 game season.

Heard an interview with him the other day; he sounds completely committed to making the team. In short, Toronto boy playing for his favourite team and basically his last chance.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
wait. i'm confused.

I think Kadri is a better center, I like him and Kessel driving offence on two different lines but I think the point he's trying to make is Kadri was only that good because he had an AHL season of prep he wasn't the only player who looked really dominant after 3 months in the AHL either. Reimer wasn't in the AHL so he doesn't have the same advantage as they aren't the same scenario.

Anyways I hope they all do well, I don't understand the point in hating on a player, if they do badly the team does badly and who wants that?

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
I think Kadri is a better center, I like him and Kessel driving offence on two different lines but I think the point he's trying to make is Kadri was only that good because he had an AHL season of prep he wasn't the only player who looked really dominant after 3 months in the AHL either. Reimer wasn't in the AHL so he doesn't have the same advantage as they aren't the same scenario.

Anyways I hope they all do well, I don't understand the point in hating on a player, if they do badly the team does badly and who wants that?

did kessel and lupul play in the ahl that year?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I really think Holland will have a huge year if given the chance.

He already has a star-calibre shot, and the rest of his game seems to be developing fast

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I really think Holland will have a huge year if given the chance.

He already has a star-calibre shot, and the rest of his game seems to be developing fast

I think he just needs to have time to play - put him on the third line, with some good wingers, and let him do his thing.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Watching the scrimmage highlights...man Kadri is just a wizard with the puck. I personally think his hands are up there with Datsyuk and Kane, and I'm serious.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think he just needs to have time to play - put him on the third line, with some good wingers, and let him do his thing.

I think putting him on the wing would help... Something like the following bottom 6 where each line gets similar minutes:

Komarov - Santorelli - Winnik
Frattin/Booth - Kontiola - Holland

He's got to have a good preseason to make it though...

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Watching the scrimmage highlights...man Kadri is just a wizard with the puck. I personally think his hands are up there with Datsyuk and Kane, and I'm serious.

Pretty flashy. His toe drag/sidyways move kills me. Unfortunately, what's keeping him back from being a top 3 player is not what goes on between his stick handling, but what goes on between his ears. Loved what I saw so far in video, hopefully he becomes more consistent and a complete player this year. I think he can, it's a maturity thing with him I think. He's still young.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Not as good as either of them at pulling it off at high speed consistently, but raw skill, he's up there.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Heard an interview with him the other day; he sounds completely committed to making the team. In short, Toronto boy playing for his favourite team and basically his last chance.

Really hope he's given a fair chance this year by the coaches/management. I've been very impressed with him so far.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

Personally I think Holzer's gone next year if he doesn't make the team this year. Don't think its a big loss if we lose him on waivers.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Personally I think Holzer's gone next year if he doesn't make the team this year. Don't think its a big loss if we lose him on waivers.

Well most likely. Next year, Granberg will likely take the spot he has or would have (6th/7th spot), and Holzer will go look elsewhere for that spot or go to Europe.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Anyone catch Polak's interview? I'm paraphrasing but he was asked what it's like learning a new system - said it's not new to him, it's basically the same as Hitchcock had in St.Louis.

Either the adjustments made for this year will make a big difference, or it was just incredibly poor execution last year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Here's a good question: How is Franson doing? He missed camp last year because he wanted to get paid and had an awful season. Is he still not looking good and we should just move on from him and get assets or keep him for now and ride it out a little bit?

Same with any waiver eligible guys. Are any going to make the team or worthy of being on a team elsewhere, or will they just head to the waiver wire?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Anyone catch Polak's interview? I'm paraphrasing but he was asked what it's like learning a new system - said it's not new to him, it's basically the same as Hitchcock had in St.Louis.

Either the adjustments made for this year will make a big difference, or it was just incredibly poor execution last year.

Sounds like the only difference is instead of the winger swarming the opposing player on a loose puck, he hangs back and covers the point. So yes...execution is key in any system. Question is, who from last year who wasn't executing is still on the team? (There's lots of white space below)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad