Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sounds like the only difference is instead of the winger swarming the opposing player on a loose puck, he hangs back and covers the point. So yes...execution is key in any system. Question is, who from last year who wasn't executing is still on the team? (There's lots of white space below)
-Franson
-Franson (needed to be included twice)
-Phaneuf
-Gardiner
-Rielly

The last three didn't have ideal situations by any means, and were probably the best of the worst, but when your defense one of, if not the worst defenses in the past 10 years, everyone is at fault in some aspect.

snizzbone*

Any word on how Kontiola's looked at the camp so far?

Haven't heard much. One thing I did see on twitter from some media guy was that Kontiola's foot speed seemed slow. But he has been centering Nylander/Kessel in the games so far, and they are definitely in the elite group of skaters.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

He was solid today.. He's a lot bigger then I thought. Good at everything but not great at anything is what I'd take from my limited viewings yesterday and today. He's definitely got NHL skill, but he looks tentative.. Could be getting used to the smaller rink or maybe it's nerves.

Overall been pretty average. Hasn't looked bad but hasn't really jumped out either. Carlyle putting him with Kessel and Nylander is a good sign though..

Maestro Ville Leino

Oct 1, 2011
He was solid today.. He's a lot bigger then I thought. Good at everything but not great at anything is what I'd take from my limited viewings yesterday and today. He's definitely got NHL skill, but he looks tentative.. Could be getting used to the smaller rink or maybe it's nerves.

Overall been pretty average. Hasn't looked bad but hasn't really jumped out either. Carlyle putting him with Kessel and Nylander is a good sign though..

He has great hands and vision, but it seems he is playing somewhat conservatively. Might be because he is playing with two very offensive-minded guys and he may be showcasing his defensive game. Hope to see some flash and dazzle from him sooner than later.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Has

Nylander-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Lupul

Been discussed? I mean hot damn.

Nylander plays RW, JVR could still play with Kessel and Lupul could play LW where he is the best.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Nylander

Still don't see that happening, because we have a lot more contract flexibility with Nylander than many other players.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
Nylander plays RW, JVR could still play with Kessel and Lupul could play LW where he is the best.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Nylander

Still don't see that happening, because we have a lot more contract flexibility with Nylander than many other players.

Nylander, in his interview, said LW and Centre.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He has great hands and vision, but it seems he is playing somewhat conservatively. Might be because he is playing with two very offensive-minded guys and he may be showcasing his defensive game. Hope to see some flash and dazzle from him sooner than later.

Hopefully.. A good season from him will go a long way towards the Leafs playoff chances. If he can secure that 3rd centre spot and do something with it, giving them 3 solid lines, they'll be in good shape.

Do you know if he's played wing at all in his pro career?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Really hope he's given a fair chance this year by the coaches/management. I've been very impressed with him so far.

many fans have been complaining that we don't have a getzlaf or at least a big c, and now that we have one, we should probably give him a chance since he does have a pretty good tool set.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

I have a crazy feeling that he'll start the season with the Marlies. We have a lot of forwards and he is the only one who is waiver exempt. It buys management more time to decide who is waiver fodder or to work out a Colborne-like trade. It also probably wouldn't hurt his game to figure out the NA rink at a slower pace.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
How is Kontiola waiver exempt? Hes like 29.

He hasn't played enough NHL games. He's the only one of the players on the bubble who doesn't have to pass through... That might work against him when it's time to make the final cuts.

1 more season or 48 NHL games until his waiver exemption expires. Its usually 3 years for NA players, 5 for European, or 160 NHL games... His ELC w/ Chicago was only 2 years though.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
I'm happy to hear how good holland looks I really like his game and I think he could be just as good as Kadri if he can put it together hope I'm right having two 24 yr old 50-60 point centers and bozak would be unbelievable I know I'm high on the koolaide but it's fun to dream in preseason lol

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
From the few clips I have seen of training camp, I think Booth has looked pretty good. I didn't realize he was that fast.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm happy to hear how good holland looks I really like his game and I think he could be just as good as Kadri if he can put it together hope I'm right having two 24 yr old 50-60 point centers and bozak would be unbelievable I know I'm high on the koolaide but it's fun to dream in preseason lol

Holland has looked pretty damn good. When the Leafs signed a whole bunch of guys for the bottom 6, i just assumed Holland wouldn't be around. He looks like hes put in a lot of work over the summer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Holland has looked pretty damn good. When the Leafs signed a whole bunch of guys for the bottom 6, i just assumed Holland wouldn't be around. He looks like hes put in a lot of work over the summer.

Holland to me is the player to watch this year, being a 2009 draft pick with over 140 AHL games under his belt, he's on track to have a breakthrough NHL year. Based on everything I have seen, read and heard from him he has impressed me, especially with his maturity.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The way Carlyle was talking, I am not so sure Bozak is going to be Kessel's.

He said something during his presser I think along the lines that they will be together initially due to their success, but other options could be looked at.

Peter Holland is quickly opening eyes this camp, and if Kadri has a solid pre-season, we could see Bozak delegated sooner rather than later in favor of one of them.

At the very least, this is the first time I can remember Carlyle talking about not having Bozak as Kessel's center

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
It's really a shame that none of the scrimmages have been uploaded to the Leaf's site. Yesterday was a nice treat. Really glad to hear Holland continues to impress. Any chance Bibeau gets to play against Philly tomorrow?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Anyone catch Polak's interview? I'm paraphrasing but he was asked what it's like learning a new system - said it's not new to him, it's basically the same as Hitchcock had in St.Louis.

Either the adjustments made for this year will make a big difference, or it was just incredibly poor execution last year.

Mostly poor execution... far to many freelancers on the Leafs. Body position is key. Watch Kadri interview and he said it really has not changed much..Mostly communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad