Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
save yourselves the stress, guys - nylander will never be a center.

he's a winger.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Can anyone give me an update on how Tallinder and Kontiola look out there?

Would like to know too. From the little video footage available, Kontiola is basically supporting the puck and then letting Nylander and Kessel fly around. He was in good position for a tap in from Kessel but it never got to him. Seems to be playing conservatively, backing up pinches once or twice that I saw. Our Finnish fans said he would be fighting for a top six centre position, looks like Carlyle wants to see what he can do as an option, and to cover for injuries. (Bozak right now)

Lupul. Kontiola. Kessel
JVR. Kadri. Santorelli (frattin)
Booth. Bozak. Clarkson
Komarov. Holland. Winnik

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm going to the game on Wednesday in Ottawa so I'm hoping Nylander plays then.

Delicious Dangles*

This was mentioned in the all training camp thread, but I agree with the OP.....not something any player should do at camp.....taking a slap shot at a player is a joke and for it to be the captain makes it a huge concern.
Takes the slapshot that happened to hit the player on the other side that was in front of the net: Bad captain, trying to injure players, bad attitude, etc.

Takes a soft shot at the net: Weak shot, no drive, doesn't answer after his team just got scored on, where's the leadership?, etc.

Can't win with you. Whatever narrative fits, eh?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
This was mentioned in the all training camp thread, but I agree with the OP.....not something any player should do at camp.....taking a slap shot at a player is a joke and for it to be the captain makes it a huge concern.

Dion struggling is nothing new, he had a hard time playing the Left side as he did in the shorten season. He may start on the left side but will finish on the right is my guess. His skating issues are worse when he has to protect the outside on his weak side, the left...the only plus is that his stick is in his strong hand. Pivots to his left are the weakest part of his skating and will be seen more playing on the left.

For a guy who so gun hole on character you do realize that the coaches want these guys to practice like it's a game? You do realize Phanuef has had that since day one and was the main factor along with being a top player in this league why they made him captain? He practices like it's a game very intense even at drills. Now watch that play again and who wasn't practicing like it's a game? Not Dion when Polak just gave up time & space for Dion to let a clapper go off the rush in the slot. Polak would get crucified if that happens in a real game. That the puck hit him is a good thing;)

#practicelikeyouplayingames

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
For a guy who so gun hole on character you do realize that the coaches want these guys to practice like it's a game? You do realize Phanuef has had that since day one and was the main factor along with being a top player in this league why they made him captain? He practices like it's a game very intense even at drills. Now watch that play again and who wasn't practicing like it's a game? Not Dion when Polak just gave up time & space for Dion to let a clapper go off the rush in the slot. Polak would get crucified if that happens in a real game. That the puck hit him is a good thing;)

#practicelikeyouplayingames

We talking about practice

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
To the people who have been able to watch the camp can they give me some Feedback.

1) How has Tyler Biggs looked?

2) Has Kontiola been fitting well with Kessel/Nylander?

3) Does Percy look like he is ready for a spot?

Any info is appreciated.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
We talking about practice

Hey he attacks Phanuef for lacking leadership & character when he has boat loads of it. practice habit's is what kessel gets crucified for so which is it? He can't have it both ways. If your going to rip Kessel for his practice habits why rip Phanuef who sits on the opposite end of the pendulum when it comes to practice?

Good on Phanuef. There's guys in camp who are treating this like it's life & death out their and Polak just coast back and gives a freebie off is unacceptable in real games should be unacceptable in practice.

#Leadership

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looking at some of the highlights and what not, Brandon Kozoun looks really really really good. Tons of speed and tenacious on the puck.

Scrimmages are tough to take seriously but I wonder how good he'll look in a pre-season game or two. Could be a decent depth option if the top 6 is banged up.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
**Mods please don't merge this with the other thread. That thread was discussing him last year, and this thread is about this year**

So at the Blue vs White game yesterday while everyone was talking about how bad Reimer was (allowed 4 goals), I had a different view. I don't think Reimer had a bad game at all. All but 1 goal were on the fault of the Defense in front of him, and guess who that was.

Dion was a -4. There were tip ins in front of the net, one timers leaving Reimer with a wide open guy, etc. However, this is where even I, a known Phaneuf supporter, was disgusted.

All night, Phaneuf was chirping at his team mates. Even when it was clearly his fault. Eventually, his temper boiled over and this happened

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=802&id=631391&lang=en @ 7min mark

Polak is in a standard defensive position pushing Phaneuf to the outside as he came up the middle. However, Phaneuf makes no attempt at all to deke him out, or even go for the net. He winds up, and slaps it directly at Polak clearly frustrated.

Polak wasn't very happy, and his reaction showed it. Him and Phaneuf started yapping at each other as they went to the benches.

I am a Phaneuf supporter, however he showed why he should be captain. He is prone to bad plays, and is a terrible team mate and Captain when the team needs a guy to pick them up. Instead, he chooses to blame them all and take out his frustration on them.

While I will admit that it does look bad at the same time people complain that Phaneuf shows no emotion when he is playing or in an interview. People will say he is disinterested. We just saw Dion show some form of emotion in a scrimmage and we start to nit pick it and claim that because he is taking training camp seriously and gets ticked off when he is losing.

I am not directing this at you Optimus Reim but I really do feel it does not matter at this point in time what Dion does because people will always deem it as wrong. The guy could win the Norris but people would complain that he never won the Hart.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Looking at some of the highlights and what not, Brandon Kozoun looks really really really good. Tons of speed and tenacious on the puck.

Scrimmages are tough to take seriously but I wonder how good he'll look in a pre-season game or two. Could be a decent depth option if the top 6 is banged up.

Definitely someone to look at. He's looked good, and hopefully he isn't claimed.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm going to the game on Wednesday in Ottawa so I'm hoping Nylander plays then.

He'll likely be playing in the game in Toronto. He is expected to play Tuesday, and I suspect the group playing the game in Ottawa will be there Tuesday Night.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He'll likely be playing in the game in Toronto. He is expected to play Tuesday, and I suspect the group playing the game in Ottawa will be there Tuesday Night.

Shut your mouth! He's playing in Ottawa!!! Because I said so!!!

:sarcasm:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It appears Nylander is off to a terrific start.

How many times have I said I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team?

How many times have you said hes going to be the Leafs number one center and that youre 100% about it? Welp so far it doesn't even appear he'll be playing center. Hell Kadri was even still playing center in pre season games and training camp.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

Kozun is really fast. He looks even faster in the A. The only problem is that he doesn't dominate in the A. I don't think that he'll be a liability in a callup, he just might be a waste of an opportunity.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The dudes a joke of a goalie. He probably thought that he played pretty good in the scrimmage if you were to ask him.
Besides the point. We WANT him to do well.

FYI I'm the opposite of A Reimer fanboy. I was asking for the Bernier trade long ago. But Reims is on the team so I cheer for him. The better he does, the better the team does.

Last edited:

leafstilldeath*

Do you not think the shortened season should be viewed with an asterisk. Kadri had 3 full months head start playing in the AHL. Did he not, did he not come back to earth the last 1/4 of the season.

Regardless it took him 74 games to reach Bozak's points total in 58 in a real 82 game season with no advantages to players. Otherwise you may as well see Mark Fraser as a +15 D man in a shortened season.

Again we want to know what our players are in a real 82 game season, not a 48 asterisk shortened strange season.

Now, back to your stonewalling.

What is it? Did you cite Dion as a positive for QOT or as a negative?

Did I get it right when I read your comment in the Dion thread.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

All hail Derailer of the threads and tangent master of dicssion when called out and proved wrong goes on different directions.

Bozak only payed 58 games there should be an asterix next to his season as well lol;

Now back to the orginal question

Calculate the ppg for both Kadri and Bozak for the last 2 years and show who is better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
To the people who have been able to watch the camp can they give me some Feedback.

1) How has Tyler Biggs looked?

2) Has Kontiola been fitting well with Kessel/Nylander?

3) Does Percy look like he is ready for a spot?

Any info is appreciated.

The only one I can comment on is Percy..

From the scrimmage, he looks ready. His speed is NHL calibur, and he has NHL size to boot.. His first pass is decent, he is strong on the puck and seems to me at least that he will challenge in camp for that 7th spot

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How many times have you said hes going to be the Leafs number one center and that youre 100% about it? Welp so far it doesn't even appear he'll be playing center. Hell Kadri was even still playing center in pre season games and training camp.

Kadri was never going to make the team. If Nylander makes it this year, it will be as a winger, so it's the obvious route to play him as winger.

Also, I never said he was going to be the Leafs 1C this season, lirl

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The only one I can comment on is Percy..

From the scrimmage, he looks ready. His speed is NHL calibur, and he has NHL size to boot.. His first pass is decent, he is strong on the puck and seems to me at least that he will challenge in camp for that 7th spot

I think when it comes down to it, he's not going to take the 7th spot even if he's good enough. It would go to Holzer or Tallinder or someone of that nature first, and then next year he can take it. We're not going to waste his development by making him the 7th defenseman when he can take top line minutes on the Marlies for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad