Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
What happened with Phaneuf? I missed this...

Phaneuf playing on the left side goes -4 in a 4-0 scrimmage loss. After the fourth goal he gets in a snit grabs the puck storms down the ice and fires a clapper into Polak from a distance of about 10 feet. Polak looked like he was considering killing him.

Good luck finding the video I think the original has been scrubbed.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Phaneuf playing on the left side goes -4 in a 4-0 scrimmage loss. After the fourth goal he gets in a snit grabs the puck storms down the ice and fires a clapper into Polak from a distance of about 10 feet. Polak looked like he was considering killing him.

Ahh. I saw the clapper into Polak (it's on the scrimmage highlight video).

Probably a team initiation...

What a moron.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Leafs Cut 10 Skaters (Finn, Verhaeghe, more)

@MapleLeafs 1m
. @SportChek Player Alert: #Leafs Trim Training Camp Roster By 10: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=731256 #TMLtalk

Players Cut:

AHL
Stefan Della Rovere
Brett Findlay
Spencer Machacek
Ryan Rupert
Francis Wathier
Patrick Watling
Matt Finn

CHL
Matt Rupert (London – OHL)
Carter Verhaeghe (Niagara – OHL)
Cody Donaghey (Quebec – QMJHL)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Interesting. Didn't think they would cut much until after the 2 games on Wednesday.

Either way no huge surprises. Finn getting cut early is a little surprising but I guess they want him to focus on the Marlies training camp instead. I don't think he's anywhere near NHL ready.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toronto’s current roster now stands at 54 players (32 forwards, 16 defencemen, and six goaltenders).

Finn being among the first cuts is a little bit of a surprise considering his status among Leafs top prospect rankings. He did struggle in the rookie camp. I thought Carter Verhaeghe played well in the rookie tournament and deserved to dress for an exhibition game for the experience.

The majority of the first cut players are those on tryout contracts or junior players.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Interesting. Didn't think they would cut much until after the 2 games on Wednesday.

Either way no huge surprises. Finn getting cut early is a little surprising but I guess they want him to focus on the Marlies training camp instead. I don't think he's anywhere near NHL ready.

This. I don't think he was going to get much time in the preseason lineup. He's still raw. Let him focus on the Marlies without the pressure of being in the Leafs lineup.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Good to see him showing some passion, glad he wasn't happy about it. I'm sure he talked to Polak after.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Toronto’s current roster now stands at 54 players (32 forwards, 16 defencemen, and six goaltenders).

Finn being among the first cuts is a little bit of a surprise considering his status among Leafs top prospect rankings. He did struggle in the rookie camp. I thought Carter Verhaeghe played well in the rookie tournament and deserved to dress for an exhibition game for the experience.

The majority of the first cut players are those on tryout contracts or junior players.

Pretty much this for me.

I thought Verhaeghe earned a pre-season game.

Finn needs to work on his skating/turning, and overall strength. Once he does that he should be okay. I still thought considering his position in the organization he may have gotten a game especially when you look at the amount of pre-season games we have.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Figured we'd see Finn get a game or two, and thought maybe the Rupert's would play tonight (obviously, when the roster for tonight's game was released that went out the window)

Thursday will probably be a big cut day

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Would have liked to see CV get a game as a reward. I guess the leafs can't afford sentimentality with all the bodies in camp.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Seems like they are being more rational in not keeping an entire army at camp for too long. Start getting to the guys who have a real shot at the roster.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'm another person who thought Finn would've got 1-2 preseason games as I think he can become a pretty special player for the Leafs down the road, but I think Leafs management decided to go a different route with our prospects lately and don't care if Finn is in preseason games as they want him to join the Marlies and get a full season under his belt before contemplating how he fits in with the Leafs.

A couple years ago they would've just took who they thought were the best instead of taking into consideration what is best for the prospects. By this I mean they usually cut all the CHL/Tryout players first, even though Finn shouldn't be on the Leafs this year he would've been given a chance to make it in previous years... Which isn't always a good thing when prospects need more time before making the pros.

I got a feeling Finn will be a staple on the Marlies defense (along with Percy) by the end of the year and they'll go deep in the playoffs (Top 4 consisting of Finn, Percy, and Granberg is a good sign for our prospect pool and probably a damn strong top 4).

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
i guess the Rupert we didn't sign didn't impress to get a contract.

I don't think Matt Rupert was ever going to be offered an NHL contract so soon. The fact of the matter is we might offer him an AHL contract that he would almost certainly accept...due to Ryan being on the team, him being from Ontario, and a lack of NHL teams knocking on his door. So why would we offer him an NHL contract when him signing an AHL contract would be a certainty?

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I don't think Matt Rupert was ever going to be offered an NHL contract so soon. The fact of the matter is we might offer him an AHL contract that he would almost certainly accept...due to Ryan being on the team, him being from Ontario, and a lack of NHL teams knocking on his door. So why would we offer him an NHL contract when him signing an AHL contract would be a certainty?

This. I don't think he has NHL upside. I don't think either Ruperts really do.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Leafs Reduce Roster; Face Philadelphia In Pre-Season Opener

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike...e-Philadelphia-In-Pre-Season-Opener/120/62458

The club's roster is now at 54 players and will likely make another sizable reduction later this week after split squad games against Philadelphia and Ottawa over the next three days.

Forwards(32)

SPENCER ABBOTT
CARTER ASHTON
TYLER BIGGS
TROY BODIE
DAVID BOOTH
TYLER BOZAK(INJ)
DAVID BROLL
CONNOR BROWN
SAM CARRICK
DAVID CLARKSON(INJ)
JAMIE DEVANE
MATT FRATTIN
FREDERIK GAUTHIER(INJ)
PETER HOLLAND
NAZEM KADRI
PHIL KESSEL
LEO KOMAROV
PETRI KONTIOLA
BRANDON KOZUN
JOSH LEIVO
JOFFREY LUPUL
GREG MCKEGG
FRAZER MCLAREN
CARSON MCMILLAN**
WILLIAM NYLANDER
COLTON ORR
BRAD ROSS
MIKE SANTORELLI
TREVOR SMITH
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK
DANIEL WINNIK
BRADY VAIL**

Defense(16)

CODY FRANSON
JAKE GARDINER
PETTER GRANBERG
KORBINIAN HOLZER
ERIC KNODEL
VIKTOR LOOV
ANDREW MACWILLIAM
KEVIN MARSHALL
BRENDAN MIKKELSON**
TOM NILSSON
STUART PERCY
DION PHANEUF
ROMAN POLAK
MORGAN RIELLY
STEPHANE ROBIDAS(INJ)
HENRIK TALLINDER**

Goaltenders(6)

JONATHAN BERNIER
ANTOINE BIBEAU
CHRISTOPHER GIBSON
CAL HEETER**
JAMES REIMER
GARRET SPARKS(INJ)

* - AHL contract
** - Tryout invitation

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seems like they are being more rational in not keeping an entire army at camp for too long. Start getting to the guys who have a real shot at the roster.

There's a lot of questions in the bottom 6 so it's understandable that they'll want to use as much of camp and the preseason as possible to make the appropriate evaluations

No sense in messing around

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
not glad about the fact that he could put another player out for part of the season during a scrimmige. didn't he learn his lesson injuring from komi, jvr, etc.?

that type of drive that injures your own, is useless.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Almost certain the whole Phaneuf/Polak thing is being blown out of proportion. It's a competitive environment, tempers flare. Players fight, and take shots at each other, this is no different.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
cv might as well be warming up for the ohl since top 6 are about set, unless he plays rw on line two, but there are nhl experienced players who can compete for the spot.

finn is far below on the depth chart to be the 7th, and he wouldn't develop there anyways.

the six d are probably rielly, gardiner, phaneuf, franson, robidas, polak. granberg, percy, and holzer are proven at the ahl level where finn hasn't even played. his skating isn't great for a defenseman, and i wonder how he'd do at the ahl level even.

Delicious Dangles*

Psh, Polak lets Phaneuf walk right into the slot, Phaneuf gives a light slapper towards the net trying to get his ailing team going as captain, and everybody gets their panties in a bunch over Phaneuf because the puck went towards the net and lightly hit the player on the opposing side.

THE HORRORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Surely nothing like this has EVER happened in the history of sport, ever. Ever. EVERRRRRRRR!

Surely not to high-character individuals. Never in a million years. No. Nu huh. Not a chance.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Nice to see Brown sticking around awhile longer. I was worried he wouldn't get a chance to play with the big guns awhile longer.

This kid is at worse Marlies ready in my honest opinion. He looked great at the rookie tournament and could turn out to be a sleeper star. At the risk of jinxing him, he may even be on our first line in a few years. I thought he only had an outside shot at the second line, but I'm very impressed to the say the least.

Finn being cut isn't shocking given his performance at the rookie tournament. I think he'll be great but clearly needs more time.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Really shouldn't shock anyone. Verg is still another year or two away and so is Finn

I am not even sure why Ruperts were invited, they just ran around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad