Training Camp Thread - First round of Cuts Made (10 players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
to be fair - how it was spliced together - Orr scored :)biglaugh:) and everyone was skating, and then that's when Phaneuf ripped off the shot. It didn't look like Dion did it on a play, it was everyone skating around, and getting back into position, Dion hit the puck, and it hit Polak.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
In the context of how/where it happened, it was a dick move; but would hope to see more of this from him in a real game.

So we're going after Dion for playing practices at a high compete level like he always has? Seems logical to me. If you're not paying attention in practice, Dion will wake ya up.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
He has an impressive résumé on that strong stacked OHL team but was an ugly minus 3 in the M-Cup final and looked outmatched in that game with the skating and pressure coming at him. I started questioning things then and seeing him since has done nothing to counter that question -- all the best to him though. Anyway these comments should be in the Matt Finn thread.

He was the heart of that strongly stacked OHL team and it was obvious his teammates thought a lot of him... In addition that was 1 game where his team lost 4-1 (I believe?) of course the Dman with the most minutes will likely be a negative. He also played a TON of games and a ridiculous amount of minutes...

I don't think 1 Mem cup game and a couple of prospect games should take away from 2 strong seasons and a fantastic playoff run last year. 100+ games of being one of the best defenders in the OHL > 3-4 games at the start of training camp with new team/defensive partner (who was definitely worse than Finn in those games).

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
in the middle of scrimmage, everyone just stopped paying attention? really?

and the guy who was paying attention and taking it seriously is the one that gets criticized?

do you guys ever think before you post?

if polak got hurt because he wasn't paying attention then he should be getting heavily criticized.

it was because there was a goal that was just scored. normally everyone gathers in their own end and play can then start. Phanuef didn't really wait long and quickly staked the puck up the ice when it looked like no one else on the ice thought the game was starting again. That's why Phaneuf was able to get into their zone so easily... none of the forwards tried to stop him.

I've actually got no problem with Phaneuf getting the play started quickly because it does keep everyone on their toes... but he didn't have to take a hard slapper right at Polak. Anyways, not really a big deal I'm sure... it seemed like Phaneuf did it out of frustration since I think he was on the ice for all the goals against and Orr had just scored.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
It's being blown out of proportion by leaps and bounds. I'm not surprised.

He skated the puck up, took a slap shot and Polak blocked it from close ish range.

Both did their job. One tried to score the other blocked it. Sure Polak can be mad that Phaneuf took the shot but really, it's not a big deal. It's not like Phaneuf shot it high in the face of Polak or threw a hit from behind, it was a low shot.

I'm surprised people are still harping on this 2 days later. Jesus. I saw worst at the beer league last night.

Are you really surprised? This is Leaf nation, they take anything and warp it to fit their own needs.

Irrational hate of Phaneuf, no hockey in the summer, overall sense of pessimism within the wider community of fans, and BAM you have the perfect mixture to have people look wayyyy to far into something and make it something when it's nothing.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Are you really surprised? This is Leaf nation, they take anything and warp it to fit their own needs.

Irrational hate of Phaneuf, no hockey in the summer, overall sense of pessimism within the wider community of fans, and BAM you have the perfect mixture to have people look wayyyy to far into something and make it something when it's nothing.

What's more embarrassing. Team success the last 10 years. Or the fans and the way they gravitate towards stuff like this. I wonder if we'll be talking about the next time Dion parks his car improperly.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
did anyone post this?

Paul Hendrick
Leafs cut10: Stefan Della Rovere.
Spencer Machacek
Ryan Rupert
Patrick Watling
Matt Finn
Francis Wathier
Brett Findlay
All sent to the Marlies.
#TMLtalk

Matt Rupert, Cody Donaghey and Carter Verhaeghe have all been sent back to their junior clubs. #TMLtalk

big dissappointment from Finn. kid's got some bigtime work to do.
Surprising that they wouldn't keep him around for a preseason game.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
So we're going after Dion for playing practices at a high compete level like he always has? Seems logical to me. If you're not paying attention in practice, Dion will wake ya up.

You can bet that if he wasn't playing at a high compete level tehre would be posters saying "you don't see other team captains taking it easy at practices".

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Matt Finn has been overrated to this point. Plain and simple. He has a good ways to go, and the Leafs' brass agree with that.

If you've bought the hype until now, you're disappointed today.

Ace88*

Not surprising. I've always felt leaf fans have overrated Finn a bit.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
So I heard Bozak is already injured and Clarkson as well.

Not surprised at Bozak cause he is always injured. Clarkson hope its not too bad. I want to see what he can do when he is healthy. Otherwise if he has another bad season of injuries or poor performamce it will be another waste of 5 mill.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don't think Finn was even projected to make the team, so how come it would be overrated?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Finn's got top 4 potential, but he's buried on the depth chart from all the defensive depth the Leafs have on the farm ... Which is awesome since he can slowly develop his game in the AHL

His success will hinge on how well he can improve his skating IMO

Glad to see Vail make the first round of cuts .. Must be doing something right, hopefully we stole a solid player from the Habs :)

Ace88*

Im speaking generally. Finn is a stable defenseman for the most part but he is and always has been a long ways away from the NHL. Like i mean another 2-3 years at least far. There are fans of ours here that honestly believe he'll be a top pairing NHL defenseman one day, and i don't and have never seen it to be totally honest. Like the kid, like him as a prospect, don't see top pairing potential in him. Everything goes well he's a second pairing guy max. Him captaining the Storm really made him look better than i think he is. Im not saying hes not good, or that he'll bust, im just saying Leaf fans have hyped him up way too much.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Im speaking generally. Finn is a stable defenseman for the most part but he is and always has been a long ways away from the NHL. Like i mean another 2-3 years at least far. There are fans of ours here that honestly believe he'll be a top pairing NHL defenseman one day, and i don't and have never seen it to be totally honest. Like the kid, like him as a prospect, don't see top pairing potential in him. Everything goes well he's a second pairing guy max. Him captaining the Storm really made him look better than i think he is. Im not saying hes not good, or that he'll bust, im just saying Leaf fans have hyped him up way too much.

ahhh i see. yeah, that I'd get.
i figure if he hits a solid 4 or lower we should be good.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Who's saying anymore than a top 4 D-man?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So I heard Bozak is already injured and Clarkson as well.

Not surprised at Bozak cause he is always injured. Clarkson hope its not too bad. I want to see what he can do when he is healthy. Otherwise if he has another bad season of injuries or poor performamce it will be another waste of 5 mill.

last year was the first time bozak has ever missed significant time to injury,

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

i'd like to see this list of leaf fans who projected him as a likely top pair dman.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Finn needs some seasoning, but I'm going to state right now that I think he'll be a #3 in the NHL some day. He's a good character guy from all accounts and has a good skill set. I also think he'll be one of the mainstays on the Marries defense this year (top pairing if one of Grasberg/Percy get called up, #3 at least if they don't).

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Literally never seen anyone say this.

Agree with everything else though. Percy's the better prospect IMO.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
i'd like to see this list of leaf fans who projected him as a likely top pair dman.

I've always been of the hopes that Finn could be a #3 Dman that plays in the #4 slot if everything worked out for our defense and I'm pretty sure I'm on the high end of expectations for Finn.

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Finn
Percy - Granberg/Whoever

*Drools* This could be a smart group of defenders with good character (Rielly, Percy, Finn all Jr captains I believe), decent footspeed, and good 2-way play. Lot of development needed from them though, hoping for a good marlie season led by Percy, Finn, and Granberg on the D (assuming no leaf camp surprises).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad