• I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Not sure about the rumour that poster's referring to, but he's a Canada/USA dual citizen and grew up a Leaf fan. Spoke openly/highly about some Leaf players pre-draft IIRC.

The Leafs interviewed him in his draft year and had some rumoured interest at the time but he obviously went higher.
Haven't seen those rumours either, but I can see how you get there just by speculation.

Grew up a Leafs fan, wants out of Winnipeg but has some questionable demands which could be because he's trying to force a trade somewhere specific.

Takes a couple leaps to get there but there is at least a logic to it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If this rumour is true, that he wants a guarantee of some sort, to be in the NHL lineup, I'll pass on him. Now, nothing from McGroarty's camp about it, denying in any way... so what can we assume?

--------------------

It would be great to upgrade on our C's... but there really isn't much available. I had mentioned possibly Tyler Johnson, who is a UFA and could bring some offense. Shouldn't be too expensive.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If this rumour is true, that he wants a guarantee of some sort, to be in the NHL lineup, I'll pass on him. Now, nothing from McGroarty's camp about it, denying in any way... so what can we assume?

--------------------

It would be great to upgrade on our C's... but there really isn't much available. I had mentioned possibly Tyler Johnson, who is a UFA and could bring some offense. Shouldn't be too expensive.
If they think the kid is good, what is the risk? We need players on ELCs in our lineup. Again, no risk, no reward.

Reactions: LeafSteel

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
ideally, thats a 4th line
You could also move either of those wingers up to a 3rd line in a pinch, but you wouldn't want Dewar on the 3rd for an extended period.

I think we'll see Steeves come up for a couple games during the season. And my darkhorse for a year out is Quillan. I think we start to see his name pop up during the season as someone to watch for.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

--------------------

I get the worry but I’m a lot more confident in Berube kicking this kids ass than I ever was in Keefe.

I keep hearing that Berube is expected to take take our team and core 4 players to new heights of accountability and responsibility.

Given the expectations and the task ahead, knocking a rookie down a few pegs should be easy peasy when faced with what lies ahead with, say, Marner or Nylander…..

Considering the potential involved, it could be some Berube ass-kicking that is time very well spent.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

--------------------

I would agree, Johnson is potentially interesting.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
It shoots blanks.
1720727075668.jpeg

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
You could also move either of those wingers up to a 3rd line in a pinch, but you wouldn't want Dewar on the 3rd for an extended period.

I think we'll see Steeves come up for a couple games during the season. And my darkhorse for a year out is Quillan. I think we start to see his name pop up during the season as someone to watch for.
I agree I thought he stood out in the inter squad game
I think he is someone to watch this year

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
If something is too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true.

Could he help us, almost certainly. Would he deserve a spot in the middle 6 based on his current skill, almost certainly, but what message does that send to someone like Cowan who may think it is appropriate to play the same games.

The conversation needs to be "hey....we can put you into an opportunity to succeed but you need to do the work and run with it".
Here's the thing, if this dude becomes a stud and we pass .... That'd suck. If he sucks, just waive his ass after x amount of games

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Since always.
Yeah not really. Only takes one good season for them to get paid and that usually comes in a contract year. You should know that. You defend the Marner contract when before his 90 point season his final year of his ELC he never reached 70 points before that. So if what you are saying is true with this comment then why did he get 11 million when he had a 61, 69 and 94 point seasons on his ELC?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If they think the kid is good, what is the risk? We need players on ELCs in our lineup. Again, no risk, no reward.
I agree he looks like a good prospect, but you can’t have prospects dictating when in the line up they should slot and how much ice time they’ll be guaranteed. Aren’t we already tired of players running the team? In that respect I’ll admit he would fit right in with the core players………

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just remember with McGroarty

If he comes out its after his second NCAA season, that's how long Knies was in the NCAA and in Knies last NCAA season he had about a PPG, McGroarty had 52 points 15-20 points more than him and Knies put up 35 points in his first full NHL season

That's probably a 40-55 point player straight off the bat on his ECL and we have a very glaring hole at top 6LW he'd fill right now

You can talk about entitlement all you want but if we can swing a trade for him you do it and don't even think twice about it

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Respectfully, any GM who considers their team to be a contender cannot consider anything like this line up. No team I can think of has 3 forwards with essentially less than l00 games played competing for the Cup, let alone 6. It might be a great 'learning' year for them, but it would be tough slogging.
I hope you noted that I specifically mentioned looking out a few years. This isn't my 2024 lineup, I'm talking 2026-2027, with guys like Knies, Cowan, Minten and Grebyonkin much further along on their development tracks.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

If he comes out its after his second NCAA season, that's how long Knies was in the NCAA and in Knies last NCAA season he had about a PPG, McGroarty had 52 points 15-20 points more than him and Knies put up 35 points in his first full NHL season

That's probably a 40-55 point player straight off the bat on his ECL and we have a very glaring hole at top 6LW he'd fill right now

You can talk about entitlement all you want but if we can swing a trade for him you do it and don't even think twice about it

And by all accounts, he put up points while also being a very physical two-way player. We're not talking about a 5'8 guy, or a guy that's awful defensively, where you have more concerns about how the game will translate.

McGroarty seems like he's VERY likely to at minimum be a good physical two-way middle 6 forward, and has a decent chance at being a power forward type of player you could put on one of your top two lines.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Here's the thing, if this dude becomes a stud and we pass .... That'd suck. If he sucks, just waive his ass after x amount of games
I agree, we could waive him but it would become an issue as he may not report to Marlies/negativr attention.

The whole thing with him sounds crazy. I cannot believe his agent would not sit him down and give him a pep talk. By all accounts he has the skill to get there. He may just not want to be in Winnipeg. I know a few people who are from the Peg and love it but I can see why someone wouldnt want to live there.

Regardless, unless he says he will only accept a trade to Toronto we dont have too much to move. The best we can do is probabaly Robertson and a 2nd rounder next year. We dont have too much else we can move that would be of interest.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

And perhaps this demand has lowered his trade value. If your scouting thinks he's ready, and this has deterred other potential deals, could be a golden opportunity.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I agree, we could waive him but it would become an issue as he may not report to Marlies/negativr attention.

The whole thing with him sounds crazy. I cannot believe his agent would not sit him down and give him a pep talk. By all accounts he has the skill to get there. He may just not want to be in Winnipeg. I know a few people who are from the Peg and love it but I can see why someone wouldnt want to live there.

Regardless, unless he says he will only accept a trade to Toronto we dont have too much to move. The best we can do is probabaly Robertson and a 2nd rounder next year. We dont have too much else we can move that would be of interest.
I wonder if Robertson + Quillan + 2nd has any value. Quillan seems like an interesting add in this scenario. Hirvonen could be also.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
And by all accounts, he put up points while also being a very physical two-way player. We're not talking about a 5'8 guy, or a guy that's awful defensively, where you have more concerns about how the game will translate.

McGroarty seems like he's VERY likely to at minimum be a good physical two-way middle 6 forward, and has a decent chance at being a power forward type of player you could put on one of your top two lines.

He looks like Knies with a little bit better scoring touch, I love Knies and would need to be blown away to even think about trading him

Now imagine 2 of them

And perhaps this demand has lowered his trade value. If your scouting thinks he's ready, and this has deterred other potential deals, could be a golden opportunity.

I think it could be, I just see Knies with a bit better scoring touch when I look at McGroarty

Match that with a hole at top 6LW and I want the kid bad

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad