• I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think what’s missing here is that Marner should have been extended the first day he was eligible. Waiting the year was a miss by Dubas.
He should have taken 8.5 x 8 Marner offered but Dubas wanted no part of it.
Even with waiting he still could have made a correction but then he signed Matthews first, huge mistake.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I've always thought the best cap site around needed to have the best armchair-GM feature. Everything else is secondary. CapGeek was the original best, then during the period of uncertainty after, it seemed to be a split between who preferred CapFriendly vs General Fanager.

For me, I never liked the General Fanager site and started using CapFriendly immediately post CapGeek. Once General Fanager was gone CapFriendly became the de facto hockey cap site, but I chuckled at anyone who thought General Fanager was a loss. General Fanager always sucked compared to CapFriendly IMO.

Post CapFriendly era has been brief but it's pretty obvious so far that nothing compares to PuckPedia's new PuckGM feature. They seem to be the obvious heir apparent to CapFriendly unless one of the other new sites like CapWages improves their armchair-GM feature at a much faster rate than PuckPedia is able to improve theirs. I think it will end up similarly to CapFriendly vs General Fanager though. PuckPedia is ahead of CapWages to start, and should stay ahead IMO.

Again, I honestly can't fathom how anyone ever liked General Fanager in the first place, and kind of feel the same way about the people who are boosting CapWages now.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think what’s missing here is that Marner should have been extended the first day he was eligible.
Marner didn't want that. Maybe if he had been treated better by Lou and Babcock, he would have, but the real issue is that people fundamentally misunderstand how contracts work in the NHL, and have a greater desire to be upset about it than learn. Contracts are not just based off of raw production in one year.

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Cowan's NHLe (NHL equivalent points from his OHL production) was 46P/82GP this year. McGroarty was 39P/82GP. Cowan is also a year younger. From a purely production standpoint Cowan is more valuable.

Given that Winnipeg is the desperate team here I'd think they won't get the equivalent of Cowan in a deal. I think a deal would have to be centered around Minten+.
This only works if you really really want it to. Meaning, going back and looking at players, it doesn't mesh with what it says anymore than someone here who thinks not watching a player can tell you anything about them by stat watching. Cowan could be the better player. I hope he is, but playing in the NCAA and playing in the OHL are two very different things that are impossible to equate with production.

Knies for McGroaty.
Not even remotely. McGroarty might be better offensively, maybe, but Knies has character in spades and we need that infinitely more

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Frank seravalli said that he was 100% committed to spending the year in college regardless.

Well that doesn’t make any sense at all.
The original reporting was they are not talking and that there was a disconnect regarding the two sides’ thoughts on his nhl readiness.

If he was always going back literally none of this is relevant and there was never any reason for anyone to be even talking about him….

Reactions: ACC1224

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Marner didn't want that. Maybe if he had been treated better by Lou and Babcock, he would have, but the real issue is that people fundamentally misunderstand how contracts work in the NHL, and have a greater desire to be upset about it than learn. Contracts are not just based off of raw production in one year.
If I remember correctly, Marner was looking for something around 8 * 8 and Dubas declined. If we had locked up 34 and 16 then and there, before signing Tavares much would have been different.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If I remember correctly, Marner was looking for something around 8 * 8 and Dubas declined. If we had locked up 34 and 16 then and there, before signing Tavares much would have been different.

The 8x8.5M was never anything more than hearsay. At the same time we had conflicting reports of Marner wanting to play out the third year and bank on his production increasing

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
8.5.....things would have turned out so much better.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I wouldn’t go that far. It’s possible it did, we just don’t know.
I tend not to believe fans making random claims on the internet without any evidence, especially when it's a year delayed, constantly changing in the details, and contradicts all actual reports at the time.

Reactions: Mckay

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Honestly, this team needs a Jim Rutherford up top, replacing Shannahan, to make moves that require guts and inbred a culture of no-nonsense within the organization.

Reactions: phillipmike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad