Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
If NYI buys out Pageau. I’d be all over that for a 3C
I'd trade for him for limited return at 50% retained. if there thinking about it

I mean the cap hit if they buyout his current contract would be 2.25 this year 2.75 for next and 1.25 for the following 2 seasons. according to capfriendly

so if that's the case why not trade him for 50%, NYI would only lose 250k this year in cap space and gain 250k next year, and 1.25m the following two season's. in actual salary it would cost NYI the same if they dealt @50% as if they buy him out. so there's literally no down side to this for NYI if the plan would be to buy him out.

and at 2.5 Pageau would be good value I think. so I just don't see why they would buy him out some team would take him at 50%

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'd trade for him for limited return at 50% retained. if there thinking about it

I mean the cap hit if they buyout his current contract would be 2.25 this year 2.75 for next and 1.25 for the following 2 seasons. according to capfriendly

so if that's the case why not trade him for 50%, NYI would only lose 250k this year in cap space and gain 250k next year, and 1.25m the following two season's. in actual salary it would cost NYI the same if they dealt @50% as if they buy him out. so there's literally no down side to this for NYI if the plan would be to buy him out.

and at 2.5 Pageau would be good value I think. so I just don't see why they would buy him out some team would take him at 50%
I had a similar thought, take him retained for pennies on the dollar

Reactions: Sypher04

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think the Jets are looking for a young Defenseman at a reasonable cost. Toronto is looking to upgrade their defensive top 4 (through trade and free agency) and acquire young, cheap, ready to play forward talent.

What about something like..

To Winnipeg
Timothy Liljegren
2025 1st round pick (23rd overall)

To Toronto
Rutger McGroaty
2025 2nd round pick (37th overall)

The Jets add a young, NHL ready, top 6 defenseman and move up 15 spots in the Draft, back into the 1st round... Is that enough, or do they get a better offer?

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McGroaty-Stephensen-Nylander

That has the potential makings of a really fun top 6. 3 HOUNDS in Knies, McGroaty and Stephensen, along with 3 high skill players in Matthews, Nylander and Domi. Nice mix of skill sets, at a reasonable cost all things considered.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Thats a great idea

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Pageau looks pretty cooked, I’m not sure how many times we need to go into the playoffs with a bottom-6 that can’t score before we learn the lesson.
I'd rather trade Marner to upgrade the back end and add a young winger / high pick in the trade, then sign Stephenson to play 2C with Willy and move Tavares into the 3C roll.

A framework something like...

LW-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Stephenson-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-RW

Reactions: TMLAM34 and arso40

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Let's get wild.

Trade Mitch Marner to Vegas for Shea Theodore
Trade Calle Jarnkrok for a draft pick
Trade Timothy Liljegren for a prospect
Extend Tyler Bertuzzi 5 × $5.5 million
Extend Max Domi 4 x $4.5 million
Extend Nick Robertson 2 x 1.5 million
Extend Connor Dewar 2 x $1.0 million
Sign Chandler Stephenson 4 x $6.0 million
Sign Matt Roy 5 x $5.5 million
Sign Laurent Brossoit 3 x $3.0 million
Sign Jani Hakanpaa 2 x $2.0 million
Sign David Perron 1x $1 million

Bertuzzi / Matthews / Domi
Knies / Stephenson/ Nylander
Robertson / Tavares / Perron
McMann / Kampf / Holmberg
Dewar

Theodore / Roy
Reilly / McCabe
Benoit / Hakanpaa

Woll
Brossoit

Cap Hit: $88,000,000

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think the Jets are looking for a young Defenseman at a reasonable cost. Toronto is looking to upgrade their defensive top 4 (through trade and free agency) and acquire young, cheap, ready to play forward talent.

What about something like..

To Winnipeg
Timothy Liljegren
2025 1st round pick (23rd overall)

To Toronto
Rutger McGroaty
2025 2nd round pick (37th overall)

The Jets add a young, NHL ready, top 6 defenseman and move up 15 spots in the Draft, back into the 1st round... Is that enough, or do they get a better offer?

They’ll do better. The 2nd would have to be removed at the least, likely requires an addition like Minten as well. Bottom pair D and 15 spots in the draft isn’t very enticing.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Let's get wild.

Trade Mitch Marner to Vegas for Shea Theodore
Trade Calle Jarnkrok for a draft pick
Trade Timothy Liljegren for a prospect
Extend Tyler Bertuzzi 5 × $5.5 million
Extend Max Domi 4 x $4.5 million
Extend Nick Robertson 2 x 1.5 million
Extend Connor Dewar 2 x $1.0 million
Sign Chandler Stephenson 4 x $6.0 million
Sign Matt Roy 5 x $5.5 million
Sign Laurent Brossoit 3 x $3.0 million
Sign Jani Hakanpaa 2 x $2.0 million
Sign David Perron 1x $1 million

Bertuzzi / Matthews / Domi
Knies / Stephenson/ Nylander
Robertson / Tavares / Perron
McMann / Kampf / Holmberg
Dewar

Theodore / Roy
Reilly / McCabe
Benoit / Hakanpaa

Woll
Brossoit

Cap Hit: $88,000,000
Woll, Theordore, and McCabe raises come from a JT pay cut and cap increase the following year. Its not bad.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Take this as you will, Mirtle and Siegel have Tanev and Zadorov as the top candidates for the Leafs to sign.
As expected. Probably educated guessing more than anything else. Really think Tanev would be great for Rielly for 2 years though. Zaddy scares me what his contract is going to be.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Take this as you will, Mirtle and Siegel have Tanev and Zadorov as the top candidates for the Leafs to sign.
If Treliving is only going to look at Flames re-treads, he's going to wear out his welcome with me quickly.

We just finished with Dubas looking at everything Soo, now do we have to have Treliving only looking at ex-Flames?

Seems like a lazy ass and limited approach.

Would be nice to have a GM who can look beyond the end of his own nose when it comes to finding talent, and is able to employ a management style that doesn't take the path of least resistance.

We need true RHD, at least 2. Tanev is not a long-term solution and Zadorov is LHD. He'd be fine if we didn't have McCabe at great value and will most likely re-sign for less than what Zadorov got, so what's the point?

At this time, Liljegren is our only true RHD. Last season we spent most of it playing 5 LHD and 1 RHD. Meanwhile other teams like the Kings and Hurricanes have RHD falling out of their arseholes.

We need RHD that are going to be a part of this team for more than 1 or 2 years, at the tail end of their careers.

Can we please address RHD in a reasonable and meaningful way, for once? Maybe then we might actually be able to use Rielly to his fullest capabilities.

Try to find value across the league, not just the one place you've been before....

Crazy I know, but it would be a novel concept to have a GM that actually works with no short-cuts.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
What we’re hearing about the Maple Leafs’ plans for free agency, Mitch Marner - The Athletic

Absent Markstrom, and with Linus Ullmark going to Ottawa on Monday, it’s become unlikely that the Leafs will be able to address their need in goal through a trade. Nashville has given teams the impression that they will hang onto Juuse Saros, the other top goaltender who seemed to be in play this summer.

Which means the Leafs are almost certainly going to be left looking for a tandem goaltender in free agency. Laurent Brossoit, who has put up strong numbers in limited action the past few years, remains one likely option, but Panthers backup Anthony Stolarz, Nashville’s Kevin Lankinen, and Cam Talbot, last year’s No. 1 in L.A., are others.

What is shouldn’t be a huge surprise. The Leafs are determined to improve their defence, and the right side of their defence, most of all.

Ideally, the Leafs would address the need through trade rather than pay a premium for multiple defenders in free agency. The problem? They have a limited pool of assets to deal from — their first-round pick in the coming draft, pending RFAs Timothy Liljegren and Nick Robertson, and potentially, Mitch Marner.

Toronto will be in the mix for all of the top UFA defencemen on July 1. Chris Tanev and Nikita Zadorov are two leading candidates, although both may re-sign with their current teams in Dallas and Vancouver. Brady Skjei and Brandon Montour will also likely field offers from every team looking to add D.

Tanev, not surprisingly, holds the most appeal to the Leafs.

One path they may look to take with the 34-year-old in particular is to extend the term of their offer to him. Instead of offering the four-year contract Tanev is eyeing, the Leafs could increase the number of years on the deal to bring down the cap hit to a more favourable number.

That would help the team this summer and beyond, all while knowing that Tanev would be unlikely to play the full term of the deal.

One other top-four option for Toronto that hasn’t received much fanfare to date would be Kings blueliner Matt Roy, a right shot who logged 21 minutes a night this past season and brings a solid two-way game. It’s believed the Leafs are interested, despite the fact he could receive close to $6 million a season on a long-term deal.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I know Tanev is a very good defenseman, but I'm not particularly keen on giving a retirement contract to a thirty four year old with his best years on the ice behind him, much less paying him a premium because he happens to be right handed. Both teams that made it to the Stanley Cup final got there on speed and a quick transition game.

Who knows, though, maybe Tanev and Zadorov are the best options we have in terms of free agent defensemen. Skjei, Roy, and Pesce may want to stay in American markets. Montour may be a bidding war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad