Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm still not sure what McMann is so I'm not sure he's better than Robertson and those other two are 4th liners with some positional flexibility

Cowan is coming but he's not here yet, Grebyonkin plays on the right I think and so does Domi

I think there's still a place for him

I don't think Cowan is ready, but he's in a tough spot where he cannot be sent to the AHL. That basically forces him into the starting lineup.

The guys ahead of him are only half the problem. He just doesn't really fit. He doesn't play a style that gels with either Matthews or Tavares. He can't play a defensive role.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs should easily do that. They need more darts in the top 90

But knowing them they will do it last second for a measly 4th or something.

I still hope they can pawn off a few role players for mid round picks... Looking very unlikely yet again.
I miss the time when my GM was active on draft day in terms of moving up or down. Something tells me Brad won't be as active.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
TB offered Stamkos 3 million a year for 7 years lol. f*** that.

They offered a deal until the age of 42

Signing 34 year olds to crazy long deals is the new cap circumvention. They go on LTIR the last few years and keep getting paid into their 40s while the cap hit disappears.

This is what I want to do with Tanev

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
For those that know the details of the CBA better than I do, I assume there is a rule in place stopping actions like the following, but can someone please confirm?

Is there any way you can offer a guy like Stamkos 4.5 million × 7 years, then front end as much money as possible, with a handshake agreement that he'll leave the last couple years of the money on the table and ride off into retirement?

2024: 5.6
2025: 5.6
2026: 5.6
2027: 5.6
Handshake 🤝 to retire
2028: 3.033
2029: 3.033
2030: 3.033

I understand that the salary in any year can't exceed the salary in the first year by more than 25% and that the salary in no year can be 60% less than that of another year...

Last edited:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
For those that know the details of the CBA better than I do, I assume there is a rule in place stopping actions like the following m, but can someone please confirm?

Is there any way you can offer a guy like Stamkos 4.5 million × 7 years, then front end as much money as possible, with a handshake agreement that he'll leave the last of couple years of the money on the table and ride off into retirement?

2024: 5.6
2025: 5.6
2026: 5.6
2027: 5.6
Handshake 🤝 to retire
2028: 3.033
2029: 3.033
2030: 3.033

I understand that the salary in any year can't exceed the salary in the first year by more than 25% and that the salary in no year can be 60% less than that of another year...
The best we could hope for is LTIRretired (Robidas Island).

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Yeah I would be less resistant to Zadorov if he were RHD. And he can't play that side.

I think if they get him it's probably McCabe on his wrong side pretty consistently.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
They're looking for 2 defensemen. It's been widely reported. They're absolutely signing an RHD. We need two top-4 guys. I think we get it done. Not concerned

Reactions: Duffman955

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If 3 of your 6 D men are McCabe, Zadorov and Benoit the other 3 boys better be very mobile because transition is not their strong suit nor is putting up numbers which is an issue.

Which is why I hope Tre is in on Kylington.

Reactions: JKG33 and Burnie97

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well, count me in the 10% that wanted him here.
That may be true, but even you called it "a nice trade" in the Kadri trade thread. I don't even say that as some type of gotcha. I think people genuinely have forgotten how they felt back then. I loved Kadri while he was here, but the same issues with him still exist, and he has new ones of being older and on a bad contract.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Yea I mean if Montour is the other signing and Liljgren stays that's not the worst group in the world. I don't love it but not awful
I like Montour, but that would be 3 big addition at a lot of money and term which I'd be very wary of.

Which is why Marino is such an appealing option via trade. Less term and a very manageable cap h

Ideally I'd go for

Rielly - Marino (or Roy if he'll come to Canada)
Kylington/McCabe - Carrier or Montour (possibly McCabe)
Benoit/Kylington - Myers/Niemela/Mattinen/?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Gimme Matt Roy beside Rielly for the next 5 years. They can be the 22+ min a night pairing and then everything gets easier after that.
Roy is a worse 2020 Brodie

Hes fine but hell be a guy who will decline hard and fast in 2-3 years as his skating and physical abilities die out

Not much puck creativity, shooting talent or offense either

Him, tanev, or Zadorov should be target #3

Skeji, Montour target # 2

Theodore target 1 via trade

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Roy is a worse 2020 Brodie

Hes fine but hell be a guy who will decline hard and fast in 2-3 years as his skating and physical abilities die out

Not much puck creativity, shooting talent or offense either

Him, tanev, or Zadorov should be target #3

Skeji, Montour target # 2

Theodore target 1 via trade
We're trying to be realistic

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't think Cowan is ready, but he's in a tough spot where he cannot be sent to the AHL. That basically forces him into the starting lineup.

The guys ahead of him are only half the problem. He just doesn't really fit. He doesn't play a style that gels with either Matthews or Tavares. He can't play a defensive role.

Your correct to a certain extent but he still provides scoring lower down the lineup, he can be the goalscorer on a line Matthew's or JT aren't centering and he's still young so there's upside to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad