Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he will, GM'S love big physical defenseman

His TOI until the playoffs was that of a 3rd pairing defenseman and the offensive upside isn't quite there to justify more than the $5M and his defense isn't elite like Tanev's.

I could be wrong but I don't think he goes beyond 5x5, maybe 5.5M if a team gets desperate but he'd have a hard enough time living up to the 5x5.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
His TOI until the playoffs was that of a 3rd pairing defenseman and the offensive upside isn't quite there to justify more than the $5M and his defense isn't elite like Tanev's.

I could be wrong but I don't think he goes beyond 5x5, maybe 5.5M if a team gets desperate but he'd have a hard enough time living up to the 5x5.
He's a bottom pair D, he shouldn't make any more that 2-3m dollars

But I still think he gets 6M, somebody will do something stupid

They always do

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What about Chychrun?

4M next season, middle pair puck mover
The sens are looking for an experienced 2-way forward

So Jarnkrok who only costs a couple of Million plus Liljegren? Not a huge offer but worth a go?

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I would be all in on Roy and Carrier. Roy gives us that reliable partner that we need for Rielly, while Carrier is an underrated puck-moving defenceman who I think could be gotten for a little cheaper than some of the others on the market. If we bring in Carrier, that would allow us to keep McCabe on the left side.

Rielly - Roy
McCabe - Carrier
Benoit - Lily.

If Lily took a step forward, this could be a solid defence corps, with a really good puck mover on every pairing.

I know it's not sexy, but is more cost effective than some of the other iterations I have seen.
I’d like this

What about Chychrun?

So Jarnkrok who only costs a couple of Million plus Liljegren? Not a huge offer but worth a go?
The asking price is apparently a 1+2 for Chychrun

Reactions: Skullz

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What about Chychrun?

I’d like this

The asking price is apparently a 1+2 for Chychrun

I wish them the best of luck with that ask

I've looked around capfriendly and trying to get him onto a team...it's tough, I think he might have been involved in the Ullmark trade but other than that...who's desparately looking for a 2nd pair LD? How about if that defenseman has had questionable durability? It's tough, LAK has Gavrikov and Anderson at LD.

Other teams he'd be a clear upgrade over what they have on aren't in the buying mode really.

Maybe NYI?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've looked around capfriendly and trying to get him onto a team...it's tough, I think he might have been involved in the Ullmark trade but other than that...who's desparately looking for a 2nd pair LD? How about if that defenseman has had questionable durability? It's tough, LAK has Gavrikov and Anderson at LD.

Other teams he'd be a clear upgrade over what they have on aren't in the buying mode really.

Maybe NYI?

That's why I'd throw them a lowball offer, I just don't see a strong market for him right now especially with a decent UFA D class

Reactions: WTFMAN99

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I wonder if we're better off using that money to go after a center instead?
Exactly. We have nothing coming down the pipeline other than Minten, and next year's class has zero top 6 centers under the age of 30. Meanwhile, we're stocked on the left wing with Knies, McMann, Cowan, and Grebyonkin on the way. Lindholm would greatly improve our second line defensively, and allow us to move Tavares to the 3rd line spot.

Reactions: LeafSteel and Kiwi

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Walman's a bit overpriced in the sense that he probably shouldn't play in the top four of a contender or playoff team. It's a good gamble to take for a team that has the need and cap space though (particularly with the enticement of the 2nd round pick).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Walman's a bit overpriced in the sense that he probably shouldn't play in the top four of a contender or playoff team. It's a good gamble to take for a team that has the need and cap space though (particularly with the enticement of the 2nd round pick).

Him and Seider got abused with their D zone starts being like 60% at 5v5

Reactions: Buds17

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
A lot of that depends on usage too. You don't sign Tanev to be your 1RD. We give him Hainsey minutes and he's not going to last. We insulate him with another top-4 D who can eat 5v5 and PK minutes like McCabe, Tanev, and Rielly can, and that should help at least a bit. But agree a 4 year deal is death.
if you sign him at 3 to 3,5M / 4 years vs 4,5M / 2 years than can be interesting, depend how you see it

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Sens get: Ullmark
Bruins get: 2024 first, Kalselic, Korpisalo (25% retain by Sens)

At first I was like fair trade #7 for a legit starter, then I realized it was Ottawa's NUMBER TWENTY FIVE pick.

The Leafs couldn't beat that?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

At first I was like fair trade #7 for a legit starter, then I realized it was Ottawa's NUMBER TWENTY FIVE pick.

I wouldn’t trade our 1st for one year of Ullmark. He also seems to legitimately not like us, he was on a Leafs nation podcast and said he loved being on Leafs rivals like Buffalo and Boston. Now he’s on another one. Might’ve had us on his NTC.

Also Boston probably doesn’t want to do deals with us.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

The 7th overall pick for a 30 year old pending UFA goalie would have been a massive overpay.

What would the comparable from us be? 23rd overall, some sort of cap dump which we dont really have (Kampf or Reaves maybe?) and a body. I'd rather hold onto the pick and sign a 1b guy like Brossoit or Stolarz than do that.

Reactions: CincoHolio

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Ok, I'm all in on Rutger McGroarty. I didn't look into him until today despite rumors of his availability, but he's exactly what we need: a gritty, two-way center, with size and offensive skills.

Anything but Cowan is on the table for me, and I might even consider Cowan if it's a bigger package.

Robertson + Minten + Grebyonkin + 1st for McGroarty

• Wow
Reactions: LeafSteel

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I wouldn’t trade our 1st for one year of Ullmark. He also seems to legitimately not like us, he was on a Leafs nation podcast and said he loved being on Leafs rivals like Buffalo and Boston. Now he’s on another one. Might’ve had us on his NTC.

Also Boston probably doesn’t want to do deals with us.
Non stop slapshots to the head next year!

Reactions: Rude Dog

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Ok, I'm all in on Rutger McGroarty. I didn't look into him until today despite rumors of his availability, but he's exactly what we need: a gritty, two-way center, with size and offensive skills.

Anything but Cowan is on the table for me, and I might even consider Cowan if it's a bigger package.

I really want McGroarty too but from what I hear he’s more likely a LW in the NHL, unfortunately our deepest position. I would do Cowan straight up tho.

I wouldn’t deal Grebyonkin tho, simply because I believe his value in the open market is far lower than mine.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

He didn't even play C in NCAA, the chance he would play C in NHL in extremely low.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Him and Seider got abused with their D zone starts being like 60% at 5v5
He seems to be adequate defensively in particular. I just don't know that any part of his game stands out enough to have him as a top four on a team like ours.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

The Leafs with Ullmark might be able to beat Boston.

Ullmark also may not have wanted to be a Leaf.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
The 7th overall pick for a 30 year old pending UFA goalie would have been a massive overpay.

What would the comparable from us be? 23rd overall, some sort of cap dump which we dont really have (Kampf or Reaves maybe?) and a body. I'd rather hold onto the pick and sign a 1b guy like Brossoit or Stolarz than do that.

I figured an extension with it was self explanatory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad