Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Dillon, Hakanpaa, Myers and Edmundson are comparable defenseman who aren't as shiny right now that could fill the role on a better contract.
I prefer Dillon over all. Even though all the defenseman you named are big and physical, Dillon is the toughest out of all of em. Dude can chuck em

Reactions: rumman

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Yeah, Zadorov and Tanav are both about to get overpaid.

Zadorov probably massively. Even if he's pretty good.

Just try to re-sign Lybushkin at this point if you want a physical defenceman that blocks shots.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well, that's kinda the deal, isn't it? You either overpay a UFA or you give up picks in a trade. Or you wait until day 2 of free agency and hope to pick up someone who fell through the cracks, like we did with Bertuzzi last year...but that's a risky strategy for a team needing 2-3 dmen.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I wonder what it would be like if we didn't gp the El cheapo route on goaltending and defense.

You can't ice the cheapest possible defense and goaltending, and expect great results.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, Zadorov and Tanav are both about to get overpaid.

Zadorov probably massively. Even if he's pretty good.

Just try to re-sign Lybushkin at this point if you want a physical defenceman that blocks shots.
I keep hearing Zadorov is going to get way overpaid. First to admit, I haven't watched a lot of him, but when I have, the guy has always stood out in a good way. Exactly the type of player this team needs. I can see him as a 2nd pairing guy. Huge, physical, good skater. I would give him 5 million. What am I missing?

Reactions: Kurtz

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Well, that's kinda the deal, isn't it? You either overpay a UFA or you give up picks in a trade. Or you wait until day 2 of free agency and hope to pick up someone who fell through the cracks, like we did with Bertuzzi last year...but that's a risky strategy for a team needing 2-3 dmen.
Overpaying is somewhat fine for good players. It's when you start overpaying for average players when you get into trouble. Zardorov is going to fall into that category. Decent player, would be fine at a 3.75-4m cap max, but he's gonig to make 5.25-5.5m.

Reactions: Evilhomer

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Him paired with Benoit would make a great 3rd pairing.

I like this structure:

Rielly-???
???-McCabe
Benoit-Lyubushkin

Boosh can move up and McCabe can play either side. Gives some flexibility.

Not setting our sites super high but basically we're looking for a more effective Brodie replacement and a more effective Klingberg replacement.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't mind Carrier, I think he's a genuinely good play but I'd want somebody significantly better than him to like Roy etc

Rielly-Tanev/Roy
Zadorov-Theodore
Benoit-McCabe

If Tanev/Roy fall through

Rielly-McCabe
Zadorov-Theodore
Benoit-Carrier/Walker

I'm making some Marner assumptions, Marino is a trade option too.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Similar to the Woll extension. Would Liljegren for 3.5M per for 3 years be a nice safe contract? It buys a UFA year. It would be tough to replace all 3 of our RHD in one off-season.

I think that's way too much for Lily.

He was bouncing between top 4 and waiver fodder last season.

I think a "show me" contract or a trade out of town are the two most likely options. Just my two cents though.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I keep hearing Zadorov is going to get way overpaid. First to admit, I haven't watched a lot of him, but when I have, the guy has always stood out in a good way. Exactly the type of player this team needs. I can see him as a 2nd pairing guy. Huge, physical, good skater. I would give him 5 million. What am I missing?

He’s kind of like a better version of Jake McCabe. He usually looks good, but every once in a while looks absolutely brutal. On average, they’re both top-4 guys… but those bad moments are much too frequent to be trustworthy enough for a true top-4 role.

Reactions: bax

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He’s kind of like a better version of Jake McCabe. He usually looks good, but every once in a while looks absolutely brutal. On average, they’re both top-4 guys… but those bad moments are much too frequent to be trustworthy enough for a true top-4 role.

I think Zadorov has gotten better with age, didn't help coming up on some really bad Buffalo/Chicago teams.

Had some better periods on Calgary and Colorado but wasn't asked to do much.

Reactions: Kurtz

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Overpaying is somewhat fine for good players. It's when you start overpaying for average players when you get into trouble. Zardorov is going to fall into that category. Decent player, would be fine at a 3.75-4m cap max, but he's gonig to make 5.25-5.5m.
Bertuzzi is going to fall into this category, as well.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020

He wants and will get 6x6.

He'd be awesome at 4x4

That's free agency in a nutshell.

Reactions: Rude Dog and Erndog

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rielly-Tanev/Roy
Zadorov-Theodore
Benoit-McCabe

If Tanev/Roy fall through

Rielly-McCabe
Zadorov-Theodore
Benoit-Carrier/Walker

I'm making some Marner assumptions, Marino is a trade option too.
I'm sure Carrier is top 4 quality and there's no way in hell I'd give Zadorov 6M

Reactions: Brobust

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
f*** us if we give Tanev a 4 year deal. The goal is to deep in a Cup run, we really going to believe this guy is going to get through 82 games and probably another 25 in the playoffs lol 😆
Unless we sign him to a *wink wink, nudge nudge* deal that includes him being good with going to Robidas island with "debilitating back pain" should his play fall off a cliff in years 3 & 4

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00