Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Re: Mcgroarty

There's two ways of thinking about it
As a player- valuation of 1st+good prospect for a player with no track record in the NHL seems ridiculous.

But on the other hand, moving 23+Minten to get to 14 would be seen as a steal, and in this case the 14 has two years of beneficial development and is looking NHL ready.

You're gambling on getting a player that can contribute in your top 6/9 at ELC dollars, and eventually be a borderline core piece.
For this reason I'd be willing to even overpay a bit assuming the overpay doesn't also include NHLers (Liljegren/Robertson) or other top prospects (Cowan, Grebenkin, Hildeby, Chadwick, Niemela).

Would definitely include any other guy not listed including Hirvonen, Tverberg, Steeves, etc... if we could secure McGroarty. His skill/physicality mix is something we're BADLY missing in our prospect pool.

Are all Canadian teams gonna hold us over the fire in any trade demands tho? I think that's more than a little ridiculous tbh. I understand the sentiment from a fans perspective, maybe even from Calgary's perspective, but for any other front office I'd say that's just unprofessional

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Demelo extended. There goes an option

Tanev / Stars absolutely crushed other team's through the first 2 rounds, Edmonton started to get the better of them but McDavid broke a Gretzky record so not gonna be too hard on Tanev.

It really just needs to be a smart contract, 5M per for 2 years is acceptable.

Tanev got injured mid series vs Edmonton, so who knows how big of a factor that ultimately was

Reactions: supermann_98

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
He's the same age as Brodie, and we've all seen Brodie's play fall off a cliff all of a sudden due to age.

A 4 year deal for Tanev is very risky. He legitimately could as early as next year have taken a significant step back.
I’m curious to see how Brodie does next year. He’s had a really rough year off the ice.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He's the same age as Brodie, and we've all seen Brodie's play fall off a cliff all of a sudden due to age.

A 4 year deal for Tanev is very risky. He legitimately could as early as next year have taken a significant step back.
I dont disagree, but it seems like a Treliving special is about to be served to us

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tanev is a solid player but I think he's 1 blocked shot away from retiring.

I just dont know how much I really want him. Not to mention he's on the older side
I don’t see Tanev coming here.
Dallas just went to the conference finals, have a way better goalie and a good mix of some young stars and vets.
Not to mention with the state of Texas tax, he will make more money there on anything comparable.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Tanev was looking more Like Hainsey than Brodie. Hainsey had a key role in Pittsburgh cup run at 37 and been great for toronto at 38, 39...

The fact Brodie step a huge step back when he started to lose speed doesn't mean it will be case with Tanev.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I had a really bad image of our big RD additions being Carrier and Walker lol.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
f*** us if we give Tanev a 4 year deal. The goal is to deep in a Cup run, we really going to believe this guy is going to get through 82 games and probably another 25 in the playoffs lol 😆

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
f*** us if we give Tanev a 4 year deal. The goal is to deep in a Cup run, we really going to believe this guy is going to get through 82 games and probably another 25 in the playoffs lol 😆
A lot of that depends on usage too. You don't sign Tanev to be your 1RD. We give him Hainsey minutes and he's not going to last. We insulate him with another top-4 D who can eat 5v5 and PK minutes like McCabe, Tanev, and Rielly can, and that should help at least a bit. But agree a 4 year deal is death.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I think one of things we are lacking seem to be team speed. Would going after someone like Duclair be better than getting Bertuzzi?

Reactions: ToneDog

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I think you’d want someone grittier than Duclair, hence the Debrusk rumour from last week

But I do think Duclair could be a sneaky good cheaper additon
Yeah, both would be good targets. I’m just curious to how much Duclair would be compared to Debrusk.

Think I would prefer both over Bertuzzi though.

Reactions: ToneDog

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Defintely not alone. I'd love him too but the contract is gonna be nasty I just know it.

I feel we can get Brendan Dillon 5x cheaper and he can almost put up similar impact
Dillon, Hakanpaa, Myers and Edmundson are comparable defenseman who aren't as shiny right now that could fill the role on a better contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad