Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I honestly only see a Marner trade and probably dumping Jarnkrok somewhere to use the space to get a bigger, meaner forward. Kampf might be on his way out, but they may need him even more on the PK given Marner's gone.

Re-sign Domi and Bertuzzi
Sign at least 1 top 4 defenceman on the right side, 2 if you don't get one in the Marner Deal
Goalie to pair with Woll

That's pretty much it.
"Only"? Trading Marner is pretty significant as it changes the entire team dynamic and outlook of the team. The return would also be pretty big in terms of assets and probably cap space.

I don't expect much other than a few secondary players dumped, maybe an addition by trading picks/prospects and mostly more of the same.

Reactions: Sypher04

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd rather invest in the future than overpay for Bertuzzi and Domi type players.

You need some experience as well... I think if you look at my "lineup" on the previous page, you can see both a bunch of future, as well as some experience too. A lot more size, and physicality in the forwards, and better D. I appreciate that lineup will never happen, but it's still an entertaining exercise.

Reactions: Sypher04

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
With the leafs cap space, you can basically bring in Skjei, Tanev and Roy before trading anyone.

Obviously you will probably need a Marner deal to fill out the forward core. But we should probably have acquired 2 dmen rather quickly in FA.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Of course... but I've got $3.372 mil left to spend on that, and already 23 man roster... drop someone from the roster, and you've got over $4.1 mil to spend on that goalie... I'm not the goalie expert, but I figured that should be easy enough.

No, for sure. I noticed that and figured you’d already considered it. Wasn’t identifying it as an issue so much as just commenting. I think you picked out some interesting names we haven’t talked a ton about here in depth forward positions

Reactions: Fogelhund

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You need some experience as well... I think if you look at my "lineup" on the previous page, you can see both a bunch of future, as well as some experience too. A lot more size, and physicality in the forwards, and better D. I appreciate that lineup will never happen, but it's still an entertaining exercise.

I played around with it the other day, but without McGroarty ...

My main targets were a top 6 center and two top 4 defenders, with one being good enough for 1st. pairing.

That was before we heard about Woll's anointment as Leafs goalie.

They aren't going to remake the roster, they'll tweak with marner included.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With the leafs cap space, you can basically bring in Skjei, Tanev and Roy before trading anyone.

Obviously you will probably need a Marner deal to fill out the forward core. But we should probably have acquired 2 dmen rather quickly in FA.

That would be the majority of the cap space available if you add 3 of the top D free agents. Seems excessive. Still need to add a forward and a goaltender.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
"Only"? Trading Marner is pretty significant as it changes the entire team dynamic and outlook of the team. The return would also be pretty big in terms of assets and probably cap space.

I don't expect much other than a few secondary players dumped, maybe an addition by trading picks/prospects and mostly more of the same.

I don't see any major trade happening, unless someone thinks picking up a college player is major?

Minor tweaks, and free agent signings ...

How many teams redo their roster when most of it is trade protected or depth players?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I don't think that's realistic. We have 18.8M to fill 7 roster spots. Those three guys will probably cost around:

Skjei - 7.5M
Tanev - 4M
Roy - 5.5M

Which comes to a total of ~17M. You could afford two league minimum players after that, and then still have two more spots to fill. We also probably want to spend at minimum ~2M on goaltending.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We badly need to pick the best RHD available.
Theres so many this offseason and I wouldn't say there's one guy who stands our clearly as the best player.
Obviously the player needs to want to sign here but if say Roy is really the best of the bunch vs Tanev/Walker etc, we need to make the right call.
Maybe Carrier is actually the best and this is where our scouting and all our resources need to come thru.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We badly need to pick the best RHD available.
Theres so many this offseason and I wouldn't say there's one guy who stands our clearly as the best player.
Obviously the player needs to want to sign here but if say Roy is really the best of the bunch vs Tanev/Walker etc, we need to make the right call.
Maybe Carrier is actually the best and this is where our scouting and all our resources need to come thru.

Get the best defender that fits in the budget.
Someone who pushes everyone down, not someone who slots below players barely playing their tier.
I'd take one 1st. pairing defender over a 2nd. and 3rd.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
People need to stop mentioning Skeji...its been reported he's already signed the contract extension with the Hurricanes. He's not on the market anymore.

So...Skjei = Hurricanes
Pesce = Devils
Demelo = Jets

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Centre's and D are a premium cost. Extra 1M if they shoot right.

Should relax on the high paid wingers

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If Marner was gone what would people think of Marchessault? I think he would be affordable but would want too much term,

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If Marner was gone what would people think of Marchessault? I think he would be affordable but would want too much term,
It would depend on the cap hit. I’m fine with the player. He shouldn’t get more than 4 years (2/3 would be better) and if we can’t get by the 1st round in the length of Matthew’s next contract, it doesn’t matter anymore.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't buy any of this "this is a lost year"/ "we're too far away" defeatism.

The Canucks went 7 with cup finalist with their 3rd string goalie putting up a sub .900 performance one year after being an 83 point team hard up against the cap.

Tre needs to show some balls, make some moves, and get them right.
roger that, but it appears they more concerned with how they'll be perceived by moving players than improving the team. I'm hoping for solid moves, but more likely the idiocy will continue.........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad