Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Very nice breakdown. When was the last time the Leafs and Jets made a significant trade (i.e. not Petan)? I wonder if they might be like Calgary and not want to deal with the Leafs unless we overpay.
I don't think it will happen.

But I think it would make A LOT of sense for us. Maybe Minten makes the team as 4C out of camp, and plays as a 3C at some point in the next 3 years. More likely he's in the AHL this year, and we're hoping he's a full timer at some point of his ELC. Maybe the 23rd ovr contributes during Matthews contract, but more likely not. McGroarty speeds up the timeline and adds significant upside over either piece.

It combined with the rumoured Woll deal would set up a pretty clear pattern of risk taking to allow us to go for it over the next 4 years.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Is McGroaty a center? This is a big difference.

Right now we are strong at LW. Knies, McMann, possibly Bertuzzi/DeBrusk, Cowan, Grebyonkin.

I get that he's a very talented prospect and his playstyle is in demand but should we really be giving up more prime assets to another winger? If scouts deem that he can play center in the NHL than sure go for it. If he's another winger, I would rather use those assets and acquire a player at a position we are currently thin at.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Just like he did on Buffalo? Oh wait..
Ullmark actually was exposed in Buffalo. This is actually a perfect example of how SV% can be misleading, especially when a team allows a ton of shots, but not of particularly high quality. Ullmark saved 29.1 goals less than expected over his Buffalo career, and never had an above league average performance in a season in which he played more than 5 games.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't think Toronto is going to be active trade wise, maybe you get a Marner trade, but other then that you'll get a few lesser trades, like Kampf or Jarnkrok for a late round pick etc.

Think Toronto is going to be active throwing money around come free agency (scary thought to me), Toronto has the ability to throw money at some players, or go down the path of signing a bunch of 3-4m players

Reactions: ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Right now we are strong at LW. Knies, McMann, possibly Bertuzzi/DeBrusk, Cowan, Grebyonkin.

I get that he's a very talented prospect and his playstyle is in demand but should we really be giving up more prime assets to another winger? If scouts deem that he can play center in the NHL than sure go for it. If he's another winger, I would rather use those assets and acquire a player at a position we are currently thin at.
I've seen claims that he's a C, but most of what I've seen has him playing LW.

I would hesitate to move a C in Minten for him, but I'd be ok with moving Robertson, who is also a LW for him.

Cowan can play RW.. he's listed in the OHL site as such, and he's played every position. Grebyonkin can play both sides too. McMann for that matter has played both sides.

He's a quality player, far outperformed Knies at the college level..so if we can upgrade the quality, I'm all for it. When looking at Knies, McMann and Grebyonkin, I'd suggest McGroarty has more upside than these guys...

Budz

Jan 28, 2013

If he is not a NHL Centre, then Minten/Cowan cannot be on that deal. We dont need to be chasing winger prospects.

I would also prefer the first be used to acquire a Dman or a true 2C/3C if we strike out in FA.

Reactions: weems

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If he is not a NHL Centre, then Minten/Cowan cannot be on that deal. We dont need to be chasing winger prospects.

I would also prefer the first be used to acquire a Dman or a true 2C/3C if we strike out in FA.

The challenge of course, is that we won't know if we strike out in FA, until after the draft... so that's a difficult choice.

I'm pretty focused on that 2C... so my thoughts were to move Marner and either have part of that return as a future 2C, such as Wright, or be in a spot that we might be able to draft that 2C. If that doesn't happen, then it depends on whether our scouts belief that McGroarty can be a 2C, or if there is a likelihood that one of the 2C's available as a UFA has interest in playing for us...

Reactions: aingefan

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
The challenge of course, is that we won't know if we strike out in FA, until after the draft... so that's a difficult choice.

I'm pretty focused on that 2C... so my thoughts were to move Marner and either have part of that return as a future 2C, such as Wright, or be in a spot that we might be able to draft that 2C. If that doesn't happen, then it depends on whether our scouts belief that McGroarty can be a 2C, or if there is a likelihood that one of the 2C's available as a UFA has interest in playing for us...
I’m all in board with Marner for Wright as a base all day. Use Marner cap on Lindholm and a D man.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I've seen claims that he's a C, but most of what I've seen has him playing LW.

I would hesitate to move a C in Minten for him, but I'd be ok with moving Robertson, who is also a LW for him.

Cowan can play RW.. he's listed in the OHL site as such, and he's played every position. Grebyonkin can play both sides too. McMann for that matter has played both sides.

He's a quality player, far outperformed Knies at the college level..so if we can upgrade the quality, I'm all for it. When looking at Knies, McMann and Grebyonkin, I'd suggest McGroarty has more upside than these guys...

I would be totally fine moving Roberston+ for him or even Liljegren. When I see 2024 first, Minten, Liljegren type prosposals, that it too much for me.

I would rather use these young players/picks and attempt to trade for a young D, a position that we are laughable thin at.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just playing with numbers, to see what is possible.

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$84,128,000$0$3,062,500$3,372,000
Delete PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Domi, Max
$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA
Matthews, Auston
$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Kane, Patrick
$4,000,000
RW
UFA
McMann, Bobby
$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Cowan, Easton
$904,667
LW, C
RFA - 3
Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Wright, Shane
$886,667 (
Performance Bonus
$3,062,500)
C
RFA - 3
Nylander, William
$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Waivers Exempt
McGroarty, Rutger
$975,000
LW, C
RFA
McBain, Jack
$1,599,999
C, LW
RFA - 1
Trenin, Yakov
$1,500,000
LW, C
UFA
Reaves, Ryan
$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Gregor, Noah
$800,000
LW, RW
RFA
LW6RW6
Roster created at CapFriendly.com | Follow on Twitter @CapFriendly
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Montour, Brandon
$7,500,000
RD
UFA
Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 1
McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Roy, Matt
$4,500,000
RD
UFA
G2
Benoit, Simon
$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
DeMelo, Dylan
$4,570,000
RD
UFA
G3
Timmins, Conor
$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
RD4

Edit... noting we'd have traded our 1st round pick, but have #8OA and #38 OA

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I know its probably reading into his (montour) post game interview to much but really sounded like Montour is planning on resigning and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a team friendly deal

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Just playing with numbers, to see what is possible.

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$84,128,000$0$3,062,500$3,372,000
Delete PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Domi, Max
$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA
Matthews, Auston
$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Kane, Patrick
$4,000,000
RW
UFA
McMann, Bobby
$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Cowan, Easton
$904,667
LW, C
RFA - 3
Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Wright, Shane
$886,667 (
Performance Bonus
$3,062,500)
C
RFA - 3
Nylander, William
$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Waivers Exempt
McGroarty, Rutger
$975,000
LW, C
RFA
McBain, Jack
$1,599,999
C, LW
RFA - 1
Trenin, Yakov
$1,500,000
LW, C
UFA
Reaves, Ryan
$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Gregor, Noah
$800,000
LW, RW
RFA
LW6RW6
Roster created at CapFriendly.com | Follow on Twitter @CapFriendly
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Montour, Brandon
$7,500,000
RD
UFA
Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 1
McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Roy, Matt
$4,500,000
RD
UFA
G2
Benoit, Simon
$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
DeMelo, Dylan
$4,570,000
RD
UFA
G3
Timmins, Conor
$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
RD4

Interesting. It needs a 2nd quality goaltender but I like good portions of it

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
I know its probably reading into his (montour) post game interview to much but really sounded like Montour is planning on resigning and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a team friendly deal
cup high wears off once the $$$ signs show up

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Interesting. It needs a 2nd quality goaltender but I like good portions of it
Of course... but I've got $3.372 mil left to spend on that, and already 23 man roster... drop someone from the roster, and you've got over $4.1 mil to spend on that goalie... I'm not the goalie expert, but I figured that should be easy enough.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
To me trading top end value McGroarty seems like just moving sideways. I think he'd be a great target to add cheap potential but I certainly wouldn't trade our top assets for a prospect. I haven't seen much of him admittedly so I could be wrong but I see him like a Hyman or Fox in terms of value, NCAA prospects that chose their path.

With that said, the 23rd straight up along with a Hirvonen or a prospect like that would be interesting but it might not be enough.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I don't think Toronto is going to be active trade wise, maybe you get a Marner trade, but other then that you'll get a few lesser trades, like Kampf or Jarnkrok for a late round pick etc.

Think Toronto is going to be active throwing money around come free agency (scary thought to me), Toronto has the ability to throw money at some players, or go down the path of signing a bunch of 3-4m players
We really only have 4 years guaranteed with Matthews, and potentially 3, when you think about smart management, in the last year of that deal. We have to bring in impact guys and make a run inthis window, before we have to tear things down (hopefully not completely) and re-tool/rebuild. Now's the time to throw a little money around in FA. We have to try to end the cup drought

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The Leafs might be 7 pieces away from being a legitimate threat:

-1A goalie
-1A defenseman
-3 defenseman
-5 defendeman
-3 centerman
-identity middle 6 forward with offense
-identity middle 6 forward with penalty killing
In a perfect world and with the ability to make a perfect team sure, but after seeing Edmonton make it's run, your team doesn't have to be perfect. This team is going to need two years to fix itself.

1A Goalie = Toronto hoping they have signed him for 3 years and can stay healthy.
1A Dman = Impossible for Toronto get unless they get it in trading Marner (doubtful). Toronto I think will fill this by plugging a top 4 in this spot.
3 D-man = Toronto can fill that in FA this year.
5 d-man = Toronto has this already in Beniot.

3 centerman = Next Season addition
Middle 6 forward = Toronto can fill that in FA this year
Middle 6 forward that can PK = Toronto can fill that this year

I think Toronto fixes it's d-core for the years to come this season, (will sign 2 free agent d-man) and next off-season will adress the forwards.

We really only have 4 years guaranteed with Matthews, and potentially 3, when you think about smart management, in the last year of that deal. We have to bring in impact guys and make a run inthis window, before we have to tear things down (hopefully not completely) and re-tool/rebuild. Now's the time to throw a little money around in FA. We have to try to end the cup drought
I agree, Toronto needs to fill it's major holes in FA this year, but it's still going to be scary to see the back end of those deals for players when we start to rebuild.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't buy any of this "this is a lost year"/ "we're too far away" defeatism.

The Canucks went 7 with cup finalist with their 3rd string goalie putting up a sub .900 performance one year after being an 83 point team hard up against the cap.

Tre needs to show some balls, make some moves, and get them right.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't buy any of this "this is a lost year"/ "we're too far away" defeatism.

The Canucks went 7 with cup finalist with their 3rd string goalie putting up a sub .900 performance one year after being an 83 point team hard up against the cap.

Tre needs to show some balls, make some moves, and get them right.
Yep. The GM still has a ton of talent and now has his coach. He's got money and plenty of assets to get the team back in contention. The margin of error is low of course but there shouldn't be any excuses to not be able to do it.

He really can't make another Klingberg error. He needs to get busy and like you said, get it right.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I honestly only see a Marner trade and probably dumping Jarnkrok somewhere to use the space to get a bigger, meaner forward. Kampf might be on his way out, but they may need him even more on the PK given Marner's gone.

Re-sign Domi and Bertuzzi
Sign at least 1 top 4 defenceman on the right side, 2 if you don't get one in the Marner Deal
Goalie to pair with Woll

That's pretty much it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I know complete opinion, but I'd hold off on saying who has most upside.
Skating in the NHL is huge.
McMann isn't a prospect by any means, just an adult with little experience.
I'm bigger on goals than assists myself, so looking at the players.

Last Year College
Knies: 43 goal pace (82 games)
McGroarty: 36 goal pace (82 games)

I know Jets don't feel he is ready, maybe it's his skating, don't know why their evaluation has him so low. Maybe they just have a better forward line-up, whereas Leafs is full of holes?

Hard to tell with Grebenkin (I kind of like Grebyonkin better, but seems it's going to be Grebenkin) but he was on a low scoring team, in the Top Men's league in Russia. Hard to compare goals against college players.

If they land McGroarty, and I have my doubts it is little more than phishing for hits using Leafs Nation to up the counts, I want all three Knies, Grebenkin/Grebyonkin, and McGroaty in the line-up.

They can have 23rd. overall, but including Minten means players like Kampf are going to be required longer term. Back to throwing aways assets at the deadline.

I'd rather invest in the future than overpay for Bertuzzi and Domi type players.

Reactions: Rocker13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad