Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Nashville - Tampa Bay
New Jersey - Calgary
Los Angeles - Washington
San Jose - Dallas
Boston - Ottawa
San Jose - Detroit

11 teams with trades so far. I miss anyone?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Friedman said he didn’t waive for OTT, that he didn’t have Ottawa on his list because it’s last years no trade list & at the time they thought he was safe as they had just signed korpi at the time

Ottawa was not on his list

can this even be correct reasoning? they have to submit there list by midnight on June 31st no? like before July 1st, and Korpisalo didn't sign in Ottawa until July 1st. so unless they had inside knowledge that deal was happening he hadn't officially signed in Ottawa by the time he had to submit his list.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Man I'm getting bored

I'd take a prospect swap of two dudes i dont know right now I'm so bored

Come on Tre do something so we can fight over for the next week 😂

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So was Ottawa. No one is convincing me he was willing to waive for Ottawa and wouldn’t come here to much better team

Friedman says Ullmark didn’t have them on his list because they were full for goalies last year when he put it in. This year he would have put them on his new list

Reactions: Altair

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
can this even be correct reasoning? they have to submit there list by midnight on June 31st no? like before July 1st, and Korpisalo didn't sign in Ottawa until July 1st. so unless they had inside knowledge that deal was happening he hadn't officially signed in Ottawa by the time he had to submit his list.

That’s a good point. There are different times of year that teams can submit but odd if it was like July 10.

Maybe they knew.? Friedman definitely said Ottawa wasn’t on the list

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Man I'm getting bored

I'd take a prospect swap of two dudes i dont know right now I'm so bored

Come on Tre do something so we can fight over for the next week 😂

It's actually interesting to me how quiet things are.

I think any association like Zadorov or Tanev is just based on last year's info.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's actually interesting to me how quiet things are.

I think any association like Zadorov or Tanev is just based on last year's info.

You would think with the amount of stuff we need to do the place would be buzzing with activity

They better do something or the fan base is going to turn rabid on them

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You would think with the amount of stuff we need to do the place would be buzzing with activity

They better do something or the fan base is going to turn rabid on them

I'm more of a show, don't tell guy.

I remember Burke was like "We're going to trade for the 1st overall pick and get Tavares"

Didn't do it

Overpromised, underdelivered.

If Tree is quiet and then we get 2-3 great moves in the next 1-2 weeks, I take it.

Reactions: OddyOh and Sypher04

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm more of a show, don't tell guy.

I remember Burke was like "We're going to trade for the 1st overall pick and get Tavares"

Didn't do it

Overpromised, underdelivered.

If Tree is quiet and then we get 2-3 great moves in the next 1-2 weeks, I take it.

Your more confident than Me, I'm expected a bunch of stuff and to absolutely hate about half of it

Pretty much what happened last UFA period

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This wouldnt shock me one bit.

He has been spending plenty of time in the GTA this summer, as well of course Quebec.

But the mutual interest is likely should Toronto need to fill a Top 6 need in the near future.
The window for the Leafs is really the next 4 yrs and Marchessault fits that time line.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Friedman says Ottawa was not because they traded for Korpisalo. If they waited he would have sent in a new list which is why he had to be traded now
This makes sense. That said, clearly the market for Ullmark wasn't all that good because Boston really got very little for him. That's the problem with trading a guy who has one year left on his contract...

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This makes sense. That said, clearly the market for Ullmark wasn't all that good because Boston really got very little for him. That's the problem with trading a guy who has one year left on his contract...

I’ve seen other reporting Ottawa WAS on his no trade list so who honestly knows I guess.

Last edited:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
If NYI buys out Pageau. I’d be all over that for a 3C
I'd trade for him for limited return at 50% retained. if there thinking about it

I mean the cap hit if they buyout his current contract would be 2.25 this year 2.75 for next and 1.25 for the following 2 seasons. according to capfriendly

so if that's the case why not trade him for 50%, NYI would only lose 250k this year in cap space and gain 250k next year, and 1.25m the following two season's. in actual salary it would cost NYI the same if they dealt @50% as if they buy him out. so there's literally no down side to this for NYI if the plan would be to buy him out.

and at 2.5 Pageau would be good value I think. so I just don't see why they would buy him out some team would take him at 50%

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'd trade for him for limited return at 50% retained. if there thinking about it

I mean the cap hit if they buyout his current contract would be 2.25 this year 2.75 for next and 1.25 for the following 2 seasons. according to capfriendly

so if that's the case why not trade him for 50%, NYI would only lose 250k this year in cap space and gain 250k next year, and 1.25m the following two season's. in actual salary it would cost NYI the same if they dealt @50% as if they buy him out. so there's literally no down side to this for NYI if the plan would be to buy him out.

and at 2.5 Pageau would be good value I think. so I just don't see why they would buy him out some team would take him at 50%
I had a similar thought, take him retained for pennies on the dollar

Reactions: Sypher04

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think the Jets are looking for a young Defenseman at a reasonable cost. Toronto is looking to upgrade their defensive top 4 (through trade and free agency) and acquire young, cheap, ready to play forward talent.

What about something like..

To Winnipeg
Timothy Liljegren
2025 1st round pick (23rd overall)

To Toronto
Rutger McGroaty
2025 2nd round pick (37th overall)

The Jets add a young, NHL ready, top 6 defenseman and move up 15 spots in the Draft, back into the 1st round... Is that enough, or do they get a better offer?

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McGroaty-Stephensen-Nylander

That has the potential makings of a really fun top 6. 3 HOUNDS in Knies, McGroaty and Stephensen, along with 3 high skill players in Matthews, Nylander and Domi. Nice mix of skill sets, at a reasonable cost all things considered.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad