Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
If Bert takes less money, low end top 6 winger money, that makes a deal with some term better.

As the cap increases it will be easier to digest.
I wouldnt be shocked if Brad told Domi and Bertuzzi he needs to wait a little to sort out the defense and goaltending to see how much cap space he has left for them.

If Leafs spend $12 million of defense (3 x RD) and $3 million on another goalie it doesnt leave very much left to sort out the forwards.

Perron doesnt make sense unless he is taking Gregor/Dewar money or Leafs trade Jarnkrok and Kampf.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
What would the hypothetical trade between Utah and Leafs look like?

Marner for:

Crouse + McBain + picks/prospects?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You'll have a lot better time today if you go into it just expecting the Leafs to make their draft selection and move on.

Big trades in the first round aren't common for all teams .. you can hope for one, but keep those expectations in check.

Lots of free agency work to be done.

Day 2 of the draft we tend to see more deals. Hence where I'd look at someone like Jarnkrok being moved.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If we do move Marner, I expect it will be after the signing bonus on July 1st.

Inconvenient timing perhaps, but I do believe teams can exceed the cap during off-season. This might come in handy if we have a Marner trade in place.

I expect the draft to be relatively quiet for our Leafs, and Canada Day to be a flurry of activity.

Or both quiet I guess... Which would be unfortunate.
I’m expecting Marner being traded after the bonus is paid but a trade being announced on draft day where the Leafs get picks snd players for “future considerations” that being Marner being confirmed after said bonus us paid…….

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You'll have a lot better time today if you go into it just expecting the Leafs to make their draft selection and move on.

Big trades in the first round aren't common for all teams .. you can hope for one, but keep those expectations in check.

Lots of free agency work to be done.

Day 2 of the draft we tend to see more deals. Hence where I'd look at someone like Jarnkrok being moved.

While that’s true, that’d be pretty disappointing. That pick should be traded to improve the team. We have a 4 year window to try to win and a whole bunch of needs that we cannot possibly fill all through UFAs. It’s not impossible that a late first rounder could play into the last year or two of that window, but the odds are much higher they won’t.

Reactions: JKG33

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not that familiar with Eklund. What is an e4 ?

I thought Eklund was just spewing bullshit his entire career

Not his entire career, Heatly for Hossq is what got him noticed he had that.

He also had Carter and Richards to Columbus and LA.

Lombardi and Franson to Toronto just to name a few.

He's fallen off, I'm not exactly sure when he fell off.

But he wasn't spewing bullshit his entire career, he had legitimate sources at one point

McCabe - Montour
Rielly - Roy
Benoit - Hakanpaa
Liljegren

This is what I would like to see personally.

Marner traded for picks and prospects

Need players back in a Marner trade this is not a rebuild.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Not his entire career, Heatly for Hossq is what got him noticed he had that.

He also had Carter and Richards to Columbus and LA.

Lombardi and Franson to Toronto just to name a few.

He's fallen off, I'm not exactly sure when he fell off.

But he wasn't spewing bullshit his entire career, he had legitimate sources at one point

Picks and prospects can be used to trade for players. The cap space alone from moving Marner allows then to get 1.75 of premium defenders in UFA, Montour 7M, Roy 6M

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
FB_IMG_1719582439466.jpg

just run it back I guess lol

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Picks and prospects can be used to trade for players. The cap space alone from moving Marner allows then to get 1.75 of premium defenders in UFA, Montour 7M, Roy 6M

I think it makes more sense to target players who have demonstrated that they are quality NHLers and can help us for marner than to aim for picks and prospects. I think tradings for picks then flipping those adds needless cap complexity. We need the cap coming back in the Marner and there will be money coming back to be the value not just dumps

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I'd rather keep Marner than trade him for magic beans that you HOPE grow into somebody as good or better than Marner but probably won't because any team he's going to agree to go too is not going to have high caliber futures

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
While that’s true, that’d be pretty disappointing. That pick should be traded to improve the team. We have a 4 year window to try to win and a whole bunch of needs that we cannot possibly fill all through UFAs. It’s not impossible that a late first rounder could play into the last year or two of that window, but the odds are much higher they won’t.

Well you don't make a trade for the sake of it .. it has to be the right trade... sounds like Trev has explored some options but the value isn't there.

Disagree with just because we're in a 4-year window that they should completely sell the premium assets.

Realistically you're not going to turn this team into a legit contender in one off-season ... trying to do so will not end well.

Reactions: Duffman955

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Once again: trading Marner for a package of futures doesn't mean you rebuild. Marners salary could nearly pay for Stephenson + Roy. Assuming they both get 6m each.

trading Marner for Futures and not doing anything with the cap space is one thing.

The problem is you’re not dumping Marner’s whole cap and taking none back. So if you’re taking back salary it better be players you want in your lineup. And if it’s players you want, then you’re not getting significant futures.

Reactions: rtucker7449280

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The right picks and prospects contribute pretty much right away. They also extend our window, with contract and price control. A deal with Seattle, for Wright and #8... see's Wright as our 3C this year, and the #8 maybe this year, maybe next year... A deal with Utah, likely sees #6... and maybe Guenther, or McBain + Crouse.... in either case, #6 plays this year or next... Guenther this year, and certainly McBain and Crouse would contribute right away.... the idea, target prospects that are ready now, and picks that contribute in the next year or two. This isn't a rebuild, but making cap room, and picking up high end pieces, with cost control for years is a far more intelligent move, than picking up some thirty year old D man, with an expiring contract in a year or two.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Might be the first year where I watch 0 games. I wonder if I am actually in a coma living in a hellish dream.

I've learned to just enjoy the fun regular season hockey, with Matthews being probably the best goal scorer we'll ever see on the team... he's a special player and you'd hate to miss out on watching some of it.

But I've also learned to abandon hope in the playoffs, and not pay as much attention.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Once again: trading Marner for a package of futures doesn't mean you rebuild. Marners salary could nearly pay for Stephenson + Roy. Assuming they both get 6m each.

trading Marner for Futures and not doing anything with the cap space is one thing.

It's a lot of future ammo for other deals too. I'd aim for a similar return the Jets for PLD which was mostly youth heavy with a pick involved, but it's a similar concept.

You just want to change the dynamic of the core, replenish depth and use the cap space as needed.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Well you don't make a trade for the sake of it .. it has to be the right trade... sounds like Trev has explored some options but the value isn't there.

Disagree with just because we're in a 4-year window that they should completely sell the premium assets.

Realistically you're not going to turn this team into a legit contender in one off-season ... trying to do so will not end well.

I’m not saying every premium asset needs to go but I firmly believe this first needs to be moved to help build this roster. It can’t all be done through free agency. It’ll never work under the cap.

I do agree it can’t all be done in one offseason but we should be trying to do as much as possible this offseason.

4 years. That’s it. We have no garauntees beyond that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad