Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Ya i really think we should be using the trade market to help with some of our needs, UFA are typically over paid or over termed.

Lots of D to target that could be maybe had for cheap on teams that want cap space or have excess, they may not be the higher end guy we need but could fill out the backend with 1 or 2, deals like Walman that cost less than nothing.

All you hear is that Tre is in on everything, but have seen very little in his year+ here.
Or even lock up some of the rfa business. The most of it isn’t too complicated, but will give us something to talk about (;
Dewar, Robertson, Steeves, Gregor, Lili.
No one there is breaking the bank.
In fairness, it’s prudent to see who’s gonna end up bought out and/or not qualified before doing too much, but signing the fringe guys - even just Dewar and Steeves! - would give us something ☺️

Reactions: Fogelhund

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Assuming if Marner is traded, it won't be until atleast his bonus is paid on July 1st but we'll see if Tre makes any moves to trim some fat around the edges (Kampf, Jarnkrok ect) or makes a move to acquire a defenceman.
I guess it depends on how they see the third and fourth lines shaping up.
If the fourth is meant to be more of a defensive possession unit; then Jarn and Kampf prolly stay.
If it’s gonna be a muckers row, like McMann-Dewar-Reaves, then maybe they go.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Can blame management for not dealing with Marner until his NMC kicked in…. Dude is in full control. If Marner was traded we’d have more spots open and more cap space
I mean yes, but I think it's the lack of assets Toronto has to trade is the major issue on why they aren't a player in the trade market. If Marner get's traded, I'd imagine it's going to be for a 1st and two roster players anyways.

Currently Toronto has 2024/2026 1st round pick to dangle and two prospects that I could see being the "centerpiece" of a deal, which is Cowan and Minten, and it doesn't seem like Toronto wants to get rid of either prospect.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If Marner was close to being traded - I think there would be some smoke. There is zero.

Today is not the day.
I agree today is not the day, but you’ve gotta think the team has an idea of where Mitch would be fine with….they’ve musta had that conversation despite the public posturing. Everyone knows that the timing matters.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
23+Minten + Liljegren for an unsigned prospect who went 15 or 14 overall 2 years ago?? Be serious, nobody would trade so much for him and I absolutely love the guy..Liljegren + Robertson, or Robertson + 23 overall is max value..if they want more let someone else pay that..
I never suggested they trade 3 pieces for McGroaty. I said that Liljegren and a 1st probably isn't enough. I simply noted that I doubt they're interested in Minten. I said nothing about Minten + Liljegren + 1st. Go back and read my post. You've completely misunderstood what I was saying.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
True. A lot of this is my pessimism as a Leafs fan lol.

But I also can't see teams jumping at the fact of paying Marner 12.5x7/8. I would imagine there's a handful of teams dumb enough to offer that. I think he should be moved for the best offer no matter what. We need a new mix of players, preferably on defence.
The difference is they’re getting him for a year at *actual *min dollars after July 1.
The optics for the receiving team is a 9 year deal for whatever he signs for at 8 (say it’s 100mil or 12.5aav) but they’re getting 9 years for their 100.8m of *actual dollars* or whatever…which is 11.2 or so. Which isn’t far off from right for him.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Sounds like Bertuzzi is willing to take a paycut to stay.
Very happy with that, we need value from middle 6
If that's at all real and he's willing to do something like 5m x 5 or 5m x 6... That would be a tremendous signing I think.

If Toronto could somehow extend Bertuzzi and Domi to term for $9.5 million combined, I'd be super pumped.

Reactions: Advanced stats

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am starting to feel less and less confidence that we trade Marner than I did a week ago.

I can't imagine there being a long list of suitors lining up for July 1st 12:01AM when his bonus is due to pick him up. But who knows.

I would love Roy and Tanev/Zadorov/whichever D. But idk. All we know is that we're linked to everyone lol. I would have expected to there be rumours of deals already done with the Leafs.

I think Perron is all but official, the way he's been talking about how much he loves, the coaches, and the management, especially Berube and Savard he seems all but official.

I also think Tanev lands here.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Every goalie "stands on his head" when the team in front of him plays great defensively and keeps all the shots to the outside.
We put up our worst defensive results in half a decade during these playoffs, and our other goalie playing in front of the same team certainly didn't "stand on his head".
Domi was complete trash defensively in these playoffs.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I agree today is not the day, but you’ve gotta think the team has an idea of where Mitch would be fine with….they’ve musta had that conversation despite the public posturing. Everyone knows that the timing matters.
Eklund (haha) says that Utah wants him and there's a deal in place.....they just need to convince Mitch. :towel:

Reactions: aingefan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder about a Jarnkrok or Kampf trade in the next 48 hours, Because if you have David Perron coming in, and given the way he talks about Berube and Savard I think Perron is all but official, then you don't need both of Kampf and Jarnkrok, particularly Jarnkrok.

David Perron is a better player than Jarnkrok both in the regular season and playoffs, if he's coming then why not take Jarnkrok and flip him for a pick or 2?

I'm sure Dubas would take him in a heartbeat.

I like Jarnkrok quite a lot he's a good quality depth piece but Perron is a better one it's that simple it's not personal It's just that simple.

Reactions: supermann_98

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
I wonder about a Jarnkrok or Kampf trade in the next 48 hours, Because if you have David Perron coming in, and given the way he talks about Berube and Savard I think Perron is all but official, then you don't need both of Kampf and Jarnkrok, particularly Jarnkrok.

David Perron is a better player than Jarnkrok both in the regular season and playoffs, if he's coming then why not take Jarnkrok and flip him for a pick or 2?

I'm sure Dubas would take him in a heartbeat.

I like Jarnkrok quite a lot he's a good quality depth piece but Perron is a better one it's that simple it's not personal It's just that simple.
I'm sure Keefe will pound the table for both of them too

Reactions: supermann_98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad