Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The right picks and prospects contribute pretty much right away. They also extend our window, with contract and price control. A deal with Seattle, for Wright and #8... see's Wright as our 3C this year, and the #8 maybe this year, maybe next year... A deal with Utah, likely sees #6... and maybe Guenther, or McBain + Crouse.... in either case, #6 plays this year or next... Guenther this year, and certainly McBain and Crouse would contribute right away.... the idea, target prospects that are ready now, and picks that contribute in the next year or two. This isn't a rebuild, but making cap room, and picking up high end pieces, with cost control for years is a far more intelligent move, than picking up some thirty year old D man, with an expiring contract in a year or two.

Those picks and prospects can also be leveraged in future trades to improve the team.

I think the Leafs lose an attempted pure hockey trade Marner more than they would by getting a good collection of picks/prospects

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The right picks and prospects contribute pretty much right away. They also extend our window, with contract and price control. A deal with Seattle, for Wright and #8... see's Wright as our 3C this year, and the #8 maybe this year, maybe next year... A deal with Utah, likely sees #6... and maybe Guenther, or McBain + Crouse.... in either case, #6 plays this year or next... Guenther this year, and certainly McBain and Crouse would contribute right away.... the idea, target prospects that are ready now, and picks that contribute in the next year or two. This isn't a rebuild, but making cap room, and picking up high end pieces, with cost control for years is a far more intelligent move, than picking up some thirty year old D man, with an expiring contract in a year or two.

A prospect that’s NHL ready for sure is one thing. I don’t think picks make any sense for us personally. And end of the day you’re still going to have to take cap back so you better make it count.

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Those picks and prospects can also be leveraged in future trades to improve the team.

I think the Leafs lose an attempted pure hockey trade Marner more than they would by getting a good collection of picks/prospects

I'm not worried about leveraging those picks... I think there are enough D on the market that we can improve the team there.... moving out Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok gives us a lot of cap room to fill in the blanks.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A prospect that’s NHL ready for sure is one thing. I don’t think picks make any sense for us personally. And end of the day you’re still going to have to take cap back so you better make it count.

Neither Utah, nor Seattle require us to take back any cap. High end picks, that see us likely picking high end players, absolutely make sense. I can't believe anyone would say adding a Lindstrom, Dickinson, Demidov or Parekh to this org, wouldn't be a massive win. These are high end players, and will be contributing within a year or two, in a very productive way. Adding high end players, at ELC prices for years is absolutely a win.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Neither Utah, nor Seattle require us to take back any cap. High end picks, that see us likely picking high end players, absolutely make sense. I can't believe anyone would say adding a Lindstrom, Dickinson, Demidov or Parekh to this org, wouldn't be a massive win. These are high end players, and will be contributing within a year or two, in a very productive way. Adding high end players, at ELC prices for years is absolutely a win.

In theory. In reality, every one of those players is a gamble until they prove they can do it at the NHL level.

I think it’s still highly improbable either team takes his full cap hit. But sure if they will that changes things a bit

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I've learned to just enjoy the fun regular season hockey, with Matthews being probably the best goal scorer we'll ever see on the team... he's a special player and you'd hate to miss out on watching some of it.

But I've also learned to abandon hope in the playoffs, and not pay as much attention.
That's what I struggle with. Assuming he signs another contract with Toronto, he's going to be the most prolific scorer in franchise history.

But the bad performance in the playoffs and general lack of effort for 70 games a season just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Bro is just game. Why you heff to be mad
I used to get rage mad until the Columbus series. Since then, I am kind of numb.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

That's fantastic but it's unrealistic that he waives for Utah, because it's Utah why would he want to leave a good team to go to Utah? Also why would he want to live in Utah? Forget the team which sucks and has for years.

But then he has to go from Toronto to Utah, I know where I'd rather live and it's not Utah.

Seattle is a bit different, It's a better location but I'm still not convinced he'd waive to go there.

I'm thinking Vegas, Dallas, if he's open to a bad team maybe the Ducks because at least they are in California, MAYBE Chicago to play with Bedard.

Not really Seattle and even less Utah, I'd be SHOCKED if It's Utah

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It's a bullshit-o-meter

The higher the e the more likely he stole it from a bad source. The lower the e, the more likely he heard it on the bus
Exactly.
The higher the number, the more confident he is that the sh!t he slings will be sticky.

Reactions: Buds17

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Signing Bertuzzi to a 4 or 5 year contract is exactly the type of deal that the team will have to spend assets to get out from under in a few years.
Agreed. Not fussed on the term. There’s already lotsa lw’s on the roster and coming.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's fantastic but it's unrealistic that he waives for Utah, because it's Utah why would he want to leave a good team to go to Utah? Also why would he want to live in Utah? Forget the team which sucks and has for years.

But then he has to go from Toronto to Utah, I know where I'd rather live and it's not Utah.

Seattle is a bit different, It's a better location but I'm still not convinced he'd waive to go there.

I'm thinking Vegas, Dallas, if he's open to a bad team maybe the Ducks because at least they are in California, MAYBE Chicago to play with Bedard.

Not really Seattle and even less Utah, I'd be SHOCKED if It's Utah
Utah is a low tax state... Marner is all about money.

Where YOU would want to live is pretty irrelevant. It's actually a very pretty state, with low costs, and low taxes. After all the attention, and most of it negative, he probably wouldn't mind going somewhere and living an anonymous life, making $12 million, and paying State income taxes at 4.65%. (Ya, you read that right) With their collection of picks, young players etc... they should be competitive soon. Marner gets to be the top dog.

Bottom line, what you would want, is completely irrelevant. Maybe he doesn't want to go there... but those are the two teams that make the most sense IMO for the Leafs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sounds like the Leafs have Domi and Bertuzzi commited to some degree, unless a team gives them a huge deal, but they want to make sure they can get the defensemen they want first to make sure the cap hits aligns.

Doesn't seem like a team that wants to change much.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Sounds like the Leafs have Domi and Bertuzzi commited to some degree, unless a team gives them a huge deal, but they want to make sure they can get the defensemen they want first to make sure the cap hits aligns.

well the season officially ended what 4 days ago? Probably better to give it a few more hours/ days, huh?

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

I feel it's going to be Tanev, resign Domi, Bertuzzi, Boosh.

That's it. Pretty much running it back.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Well, the area that needs the most change is the defense lol. We're pretty much set at forward for a while, another C would be nice but maybe they're banking on developing Minten or Cowan there. The key cog in all of this will be what happens with Marner obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad