Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Seems to lack logic, if they’re showcasing guys….cuz something is gonna have to give in the next little while.
Unless they’re showcasing Timmins to start, which is actually the most logical starting point.
Guess we’ll see soon enough.
Good point, maybe they are really good at showcasing guys and pumping value. Maybe Robertson, Holmberg, Timmins and Benoit are the guys they are looking to move?

I guess we will see soon enough.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
While I suspect he will follow what LD did, but If they don't come close to repeating how far they got last year, he may opt to jump ship.

Going to be quite the shame of a career if he doesn't get a cup by his early 30s and I don't think he's going to do it in Edmonton

The interesting question is do we just leave all that cap space open on the prayer that McDavid actually wants to come here. That’s gonna be a hell of a lot of money when he reaches UFA

Like, do we let JT and Marner walk and backfill them with on 1 year deals? Feels like a huge risk and putting our team on pause, so it’s hard to imagine us having the cap to add McDavid even if he wanted to come.

Some of the appeal in passing on Marner is the chance at grabbing McDavid...I thought with Leon re-upping it would solidify that he's staying but if they don't have a good year, he might re-think it. Leon can always request a trade after the fact too.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Liljegren for Rutta

Rielly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Rutta
Rifai Hakanpää

The interesting question is do we just leave all that cap space open on the prayer that McDavid actually wants to come here. That’s gonna be a hell of a lot of money when he reaches UFA

Like, do we let JT and Marner walk and backfill them with on 1 year deals? Feels like a huge risk and putting our team on pause, so it’s hard to imagine us having the cap to add McDavid even if he wanted to come.
They could easily drop Marner and Tavares and sign 1yr players to make due until the following season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wouldn't keep cap space open on the off chance McDavid wants to come here

Just build the best team possible without wish casting on a guy in another market

Management need to get serious, we can't bank on somebody else going on LTIR to bring those other guys off it
Talk to Berube, work out who you think is surplus to requirements then try to inflate the bejesus out of there numbers so we can get rid of them without taking a bath

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
TDL of we are playing a good game which inspires confidence for the playoffs we should be active

Jarnkrok, Kampf, Timmins, Lilijgren, Minten, 2025 2nd as pieces on the table to faciliate moves

Hopefully our pro scouting team is looming aggresively at bottom 6 centers with speed and good shot and a 2-way RHD who could fit on a 2nd pairing with McCabe as our big moves/targets

Flordia still looks like the cream of the Eastern Conference, so we will need some big moves to close the gap between us

horner

May 22, 2007
Trade pieces
Jamkrok

Ljiligren good player but he needs a change of scenery

Robertson He is blending in her i think he would do great on a lower level team ex. Anaheim philly SJ

Holmberg

Timmins

Kampf he's fitting in really well e with the 4th line but 2.4 mil no

horner

May 22, 2007
Must say it is funny considering all the slander towards Lilly, a good organization in Dallas is rumored to be interested in him.
After there top 3 dman there is a big drop off
Drumba Lybushkin

Most teams have 3 or 4 really good dman p

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
To me Kampf, Timmins and Robertson (just not a fit)are the easy guys to trade out.

Knies Matthews Marner
McMann Domi Nylander
Pacioretty Tavares Jarnkrok
Lorentz Holmberg Dewar
Reaves

Move Holmberg to 3LW and Dewar to 4C once every few weeks to give patches a break

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
To me Kampf, Timmins and Robertson (just not a fit)are the easy guys to trade out.

Knies Matthews Marner
McMann Domi Nylander
Pacioretty Tavares Jarnkrok
Lorentz Holmberg Dewar
Reaves

Move Holmberg to 3LW and Dewar to 4C once every few weeks to give patches a break

Timmins and Robertson provide quality depth. Not sure why they have to be easily traded out. I'd give Robertson a lot of rope this season. He's been hounding pucks and playing really well, I'd give him time. Both are cheap enough to keep.

Kampf is whatever and will continue to be whatever. He's first on my list for cap casualties for sure.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The only asset that likely needs to be moved much sooner than later is Lily. Because unless he wins over Berube, his lcetime is going to stay limited and his value based on his continued 'potential' will keep dropping

Kampf likely will need to go if/when the team wants to get a proper 3C, but until then he can probably be flipped anytime for a pick. Robertson needs more playing time - which he will probably get, so he likely stays at least for a while

Edit: amusing typo

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lilly and Robertson for Marchment?

Too much money. We're already capped out. Dallas is also undefeated and Marchment has 5points in 4 games so far. Not sure they have any reason to make a trade like this at all.

The only asset that likely needs to be moved much sooner than later is Lily. Because unless he wins over Berube, his lifetime is going to stay limited and his value based on his continued 'potential' will keep dropping

Kampf likely will need to go if/when the team wants to get a proper 3C, but until then he can probably be flipped anytime for a pick. Robertson needs more playing time - which he will probably get, so he likely stays at least for a while

I'd prefer to keep Liljegren but if they aren't going to play him, they definitely need to find him a new team.

Kampf is waaaaay too expensive for what he does and is just not that good.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Timmins and Robertson provide quality depth. Not sure why they have to be easily traded out. I'd give Robertson a lot of rope this season and not just jump down on him because he hasn't scored a bunch of goals early. He's been hounding pucks and playing really well, I'd give him time.

Kampf is whatever and will continue to be whatever. He's first on my list for cap casualties for sure.
But pieces have to go once everyone is healthy, our depth especially at D is very good with Liljegren Benoit Hakanpaa Myers Rifai Timmins , that's 6 guys to occupy 4 spots the numbers don't add up.

As for Robertson it's a casualty of circumstances as he doesn't fit with Matthews nor Tavares and just don't see him excelling here. He may end up being a 20/20 guy somewhere but it likely won't happen here.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Durzi & Marino are out for a while, would think Utah would have interest in Liljegren.

Timothy Liljegren & David Kampf
for
Jack McBain & Late Pick

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Pacioretty - Tavares - Robertson
Lorentz - McBain - Jarnkrok
Reaves

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
But pieces have to go once everyone is healthy, our depth especially at D is very good with Liljegren Benoit Hakanpaa Myers Rifai Timmins , that's 6 guys to occupy 4 spots the numbers don't add up.

As for Robertson it's a casualty of circumstances as he doesn't fit with Matthews nor Tavares and just don't see him excelling here. He may end up being a 20/20 guy somewhere but it likely won't happen here.

That's fair but I think you want to keep your cheap young assets and churn expensive dime a dozen players first. Timmins is whatever so I don't mind him leaving but if Liljegren is going to be used sparingly, he has to be traded. Same for Kampf.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Durzi & Marino are out for a while, would think Utah would have interest in Liljegren.

Timothy Liljegren & David Kampf
for
Jack McBain & Late Pick

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Domi - Nylander
Pacioretty - Tavares - Robertson
Lorentz - McBain - Jarnkrok
Reaves

They might have a lot of interest in Liljegren (or Timmins) but it will be for mostly pick(s). Not sure why you think they'll trade McBain just because they are getting Kampf randomly!?

Reactions: rumman

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Jarnkrok, Dewar and Hakanpaa will all be ready to come off the IR in a couple of weeks. Have to assume trades are coming.

Unless more injuries take place

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
They might have a lot of interest in Liljegren (or Timmins) but it will be for mostly pick(s). Not sure why you think they'll trade McBain just because they are getting Kampf randomly!?

McBain is their 4c right now. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t on the table for an NHL defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad