GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I disagree.

Obviously, he's not going to lead his pairing, but his partners haven't exactly been top line defenders to lead him.

Leafs defense, 39 year old Giordano couldn't carry an experienced Brodie, let alone a developing Liljegren.

Let's hope there's a new system in place that supports the youngsters.

It's one of two things, bad system or bad defense.
View attachment 883840

He will be in in 4th full time NHL season and honestly i don't see any strenght in his game leafs could really use. He can do a little bit of every thing but he don't excel in any part of the team. He have a good passing ability and good shot but pretty weak hockey sense so offensively, he don't see the play in front of him. so most of the time, he doesn't have a good impact.

defensively again he having skating, skill to defend... but again lack of hockey sense made him get caught out of position and lack of physicality make him he can't overcome this weakness. So defensively his impact is pretty none.

he bring nothing in PP, he's pretty bad on PK. amount all leafs D with at least 30 min on pk, nobody had a worst Goal against/ 60 min played than him and he played on second waive, so not playing against toughest matchup.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We've kind of reached that weird point in the offseason. We've discussed to bits the trading of Marner, and/or the Merits of moving JT. Is Liljegren or Robertson coming back... are we signing Bertuzzi/Domi... Is Kampf or Jarnkrok being moved... which D are being targeted???

Everyone has their ideas, and favourites, and we've talked about trades with half the teams in the league...

The media rumours seem to be baseless speculation, I'm not sure anyone has any real inside information here.

We've got a new head coach, one new assistant.....

and now we wait... what's your first move here Tre?

That's kind of where the rest of dominoes begin to fall into place... once one of Marner/JT/Nylander/Matthews/Rielly is moved... I mean Matthews seems incredibly unlikely... the others, you can make a case for them being moved I suppose... but until one of them is moved, or we hear we are committed to all of them for certain, the rest is just kind of waiting.

And that's what we'll do now... wait until something real happens, or is announced.

For those of you who will watch, enjoy the last night of the NHL season.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Majority would agree Marner for Dobson would be a dream, but I cannot see Marner waiving to go play for Patrick Roy, or under Lou's strict rules.

Reactions: supermann_98

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
We've kind of reached that weird point in the offseason. We've discussed to bits the trading of Marner, and/or the Merits of moving JT. Is Liljegren or Robertson coming back... are we signing Bertuzzi/Domi... Is Kampf or Jarnkrok being moved... which D are being targeted???

Everyone has their ideas, and favourites, and we've talked about trades with half the teams in the league...

The media rumours seem to be baseless speculation, I'm not sure anyone has any real inside information here.

That's kind of where the rest of dominoes begin to fall into place... once one of Marner/JT/Nylander/Matthews/Rielly is moved... I mean Matthews seems incredibly unlikely... the others, you can make a case for them being moved I suppose... but until one of them is moved, or we hear we are committed to all of them for certain, the rest is just kind of waiting.

And that's what we'll do now... wait until something real happens, or is announced.

For those of you who will watch, enjoy the last night of the NHL season.
Edmonton's gonna pull off the reverse sweep

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Based on the Pagnotta list of teams

VGK - No trade
Chicago - Nazar + Korchinski/Vlasic + NYI 1st
Dallas - Stankoven + Bischel + 1st
Nashville - no trade

Or extend Marner

Vegas has peices.

I’m don’t love Nash suggestions i have read.

Reactions: ER89

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

A bit more: Clearly, NYR doing this solely for cap reasons, seeing if there is another team interested. Goodrow 6 goals in 16 playoff games, that’s his time of year.

LOL. Rangers dump player who excels in playoffs and we have posters wanting to sign Mitch for $100m. You just can make this shit up. SMH.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
A bit more: Clearly, NYR doing this solely for cap reasons, seeing if there is another team interested. Goodrow 6 goals in 16 playoff games, that’s his time of year.

LOL. Rangers dump player who excels in playoffs and we have posters wanting to sign Mitch for $100m. You just can make this shit up. SMH.
He's making 3.6M for 2 more years, playing as a 4th line center and had more goals during the postseason than the regular season

He's a guy I'd be willing to give a Million or two for a couple of seasons if we could get rid of Kampf, I think we could build a good line around him

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

pick him up, he's not that expensive and just what the team needs...........

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
pick him up, he's not that expensive and just what the team needs...........
Nah... he's not worth what he's paid. There is a good chance he's bought out in a couple of days, which was the purpose of the waivers.... If we like him, sign him around $1 mil.

12 points in the regular season, and is only on the radar as he shot 40% in the playoffs... something he will never do again.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

And for all the Armchair GM rosters produced, we generally do a lot less than people think, and generally miss out on the bigger name UFAs people want.

As an example, plenty of people (myself included) have said Roy is one of the more ideal dmen available (RHD with some size/physicality who can move the puck and play ~18-20 minutes a night). But realistically? He's American, plays in California, has no ties to the city, no ties to the coach or GM, etc. Really no reason to expect us to land him, unless we paid a legit premium.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He's making 3.6M for 2 more years, playing as a 4th line center and had more goals during the postseason than the regular season

He's a guy I'd be willing to give a Million or two for a couple of seasons if we could get rid of Kampf, I think we could build a good line around him
Was hoping he would sign here as a FA since he is from the GTA but the Rangers overpaid. He looked good at time in the playoffs. I'd take him if Rangers retained but I doubt it.

I heard Rangers fans want Brady Tkachuk. Perhaps Drury clearing space for a grittier forward since they were "soft" vs Panthers but Goodrow was not that problem. Panarin and Zbanejad were terrible.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nah... he's not worth what he's paid. There is a good chance he's bought out in a couple of days, which was the purpose of the waivers.... If we like him, sign him around $1 mil.

12 points in the regular season, and is only on the radar as he shot 40% in the playoffs... something he will never do again.
he's a good soldier imo, better than some of the scrubs currently occupying the bottom half of the roster

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If Goodrow gets bought out, I'm 100% sure Treliving would be interested. Having him as the 4th line center over Kampf is exactly the type of player Tre and Berube desires.

His playoff stats and performance is what the team needs,

Kampf and Jarnkrok needs to go though

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

He earns his money in April but even then $3.6m is rich for him.

Reactions: Duffman955

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Was hoping he would sign here as a FA since he is from the GTA but the Rangers overpaid. He looked good at time in the playoffs. I'd take him if Rangers retained but I doubt it.

I heard Rangers fans want Brady Tkachuk. Perhaps Drury clearing space for a grittier forward since they were "soft" vs Panthers but Goodrow was not that problem. Panarin and Zbanejad were terrible.
this reeks of Keefe benching Kampf because Marner was sucking............

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
But realistically? He's American, plays in California, has no ties to the city, no ties to the coach or GM, etc. Really no reason to expect us to land him, unless we paid a legit premium.
I think much of this is overblown... I mean, how many players sign for teams, where they have no ties to the city, aren't from the country, no ties to the coach or GM? It happens all the time.

I'm not saying Roy is coming here... but we don't see a parade of local Ontario kids trying to come here very often... it happens, but not that frequently.

He earns his money in April but even then $3.6m is rich for him.
16 points in 81 playoff games, before shooting an unsustainable 40% this year. His "intangibles" aren't worth anywhere near $3.6 million... He's a nice physical guy... sure you'd like to have him, but nowhere near that price.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I think much of this is overblown... I mean, how many players sign for teams, where they have no ties to the city, aren't from the country, no ties to the coach or GM? It happens all the time.

I'm not saying Roy is coming here... but we don't see a parade of local Ontario kids trying to come here very often... it happens, but not that frequently.
It's bullshit, some NHLers don't care about winning and just see the NHL as a job, so they chase the money and a good spot to play like Californa etc.

A majority of them though play to win, and if the money is right and it's what they are looking to make, would choose a spot they have a chance to win at.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

16 points in 81 playoff games, before shooting an unsustainable 40% this year. His "intangibles" aren't worth anywhere near $3.6 million... He's a nice physical guy... sure you'd like to have him, but nowhere near that price.
IIRC Goodrow and Coleman were beasts for Tampa and both got the big bucks based on their play that year. Leafs can't afford that cap hit for a 4th liner.

Reactions: Fogelhund

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's bullshit, some NHLers don't care about winning and just see the NHL as a job, so they chase the money and a good spot to play like Californa etc.

A majority of them though play to win, and if the money is right and it's what they are looking to make, would choose a spot they have a chance to win at.
100%. Loved the picture of Matty by the pool in Sedona while lesser players, making peanuts compared to 34 are battling tooth and nail for the Stanley Cup. Why put your body on the line for a trophy named after some Lord from Britain they have never heard of?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I wasn't that interested in him, he was a prime overpay candidate after his time in Tampa just like Joshua this year

Now I'm interested, but I think he ends up in Tampa again

I want Brady Tkachuk to, Ottawa would be insane to trade that kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad