GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not sure what a good deal with Islanders would look like but imo it would have to be some combination of the following.

One of:

Dobson
Sorokin.
Pulock
Romanov
Holmstrom

One or more of:

2024 FRP
2024 SRP
2025 FRP
Alex Jeffries
Danny Nelson
Dobson or Sorokin + 1st for Marner seems too good to believe. 1 for 1, maybe.

Dobson would be great but I can't see the Isles trading him
Agreed. I can see Lou not wanting to pay Dobson but I doubt he is willing to upset his salary structure by adding Marner at $12+m.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Agreed. I can see Lou not wanting to pay Dobson but I doubt he is willing to upset his salary structure by adding Marner at $12+m.
I would love to see Roy with Marner though. He doesn’t pull punches and even blasted Duchene for celebrating his 30th goal back in the day.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I struggle to picture Marner waiving for the Islanders, though he's also exactly what they need - theyre a pretty deep team with some good defensive physical players, but have really lacked an elite offensive player for years and years.
He was very close with Martin although Martin might retire (he'd still be local).

Horvat has 1 year overlap with London.

Not sure if he's close with Engvall.

Beyond that I don't see any connection outside Lou.

Some people love that area.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Don’t see the Islanders moving either Dobson or Sorokin. Romanov would be a nice addition on the second pair with McCabe but there isn’t really much else from the Islanders I’d want.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Based on the wording of the tweet I think an Isles package would look like Dobson, JGP, Tikkanen.

He specifically mentions a young piece they wouldn't want to part with (Dobson). JGP is a negative asset that would even out the value discrepancy between Marner and Dobson while also getting the salaries close to even. Tikkanen would be an add-in.

Fair. I was reading it like. The isles were wanting. To give up 3 pieces instead of 1 young piece. But I like yours better.

Dobson plus a salary dump ish makes sense.

Pageau could be our 3 c.

I would probably do that?

Bert. Matty. Domi
Knies. Jt. Nylander
Cowan Pageau. Jarnkrok
Mcman. Kampf. Reeves

with holmberg/robbie fighting

Rielly Roy/tanev/pesce
Jake. Dobson.
Benny ufa.

Woll
Broissot

Would work ish????

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Fair. I was reading it like. The isles were wanting. To give up 3 pieces instead of 1 young piece. But I like yours better.

Dobson plus a salary dump ish makes sense.

Pageau could be our 3 c.

I would probably do that?

Bert. Matty. Domi
Knies. Jt. Nylander
Cowan Pageau. Jarnkrok
Mcman. Kampf. Reeves

with holmberg/robbie fighting

Rielly Roy/tanev/pesce
Jake. Dobson.
Benny ufa.

Woll
Broissot

Would work ish????
Reading it again - you may be correct on your interpretation.

As far as the roster goes - that would be pretty good. Lots of cap space left as well. I'd assume McMann plays 3LW, Dewar and Holmberg both regulars on L4 with Reaves as a scratch. Cowan sent down.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Absolutely - he is also better than Romanov. The question is: will he age like Brodie or Tanev?

You don't have to roll that particular dice if you have Romanov

At least this is interesting

Maybe somebody like Romanov plus a young roster player who's been a disappointment?

Walstrom?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Romanov is young, he's going to improve as he ages and gets more experience
He absolutely could. Or he could be like Provorov.

All of this is to say: if Romanov is the best piece coming back in a Marner trade, that would be very disappointing to me. Left shot defenseman are so abundant and easy to acquire in the NHL.

Reactions: Pinto and Kurtz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

All of this is to say: if Romanov is the best piece coming back in a Marner trade, that would be very disappointing to me. Left shot defenseman are so abundant and easy to acquire in the NHL.

I'd never turn my nose up to a young top 4D, it's not like ŵe produce many of them

Reactions: supermann_98

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You don't have to roll that particular dice if you have Romanov

At least this is interesting

Maybe somebody like Romanov plus a young roster player who's been a disappointment?

Walstrom?
Romanov strikes me as a dman Tre would like. He would not be my first choice and I'd want more than a Walstrom added. Even if they do not trade him, the juicy rumours give us something to talk about.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Romanov strikes me as a dman Tre would like. He would not be my first choice and I'd want more than a Walstrom added. Even if they do not trade him, the juicy rumours give us something to talk about.

He's physical and has good size, I think he would be something Tre would be very interested in

I'm not sure how Wahlstrom would fit, he loves to shoot but most of our team are like that if Marner isn't here, who's getting him the puck? Cowan?

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It would be a hard sell to flip Marner to the Islanders for a Romanov based package and not a Noah Dobson, one for one type deal.

One, the Islanders are Eastern Conference, two they aren't a desirable destination, so why even do the leg work to convince Marner to go there unless it's a home run for the Leafs. And finally, it's Lou. Like why give him that player with the risk they figure it out in the Metro and it becomes another Nelson Muntz "haha" at the Leafs expense? There's a million different reasons to move Mitch, but to the Island for a mediocre return? I dunno.

It's also worth noting that Romanov didn't exactly take a leap in development after he was sent there for the 13th pick.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It would be a hard sell to flip Marner to the Islanders for a Romanov based package and not a Noah Dobson, one for one type deal.

One, the Islanders are Eastern Conference, two they aren't a desirable destination, so why even do the leg work to convince Marner to go there unless it's a home run for the Leafs. And finally, it's Lou. Like why give him that player with the risk they figure it out in the Metro and it becomes another Nelson Muntz "haha" at the Leafs expense? There's a million different reasons to move Mitch, but to the Island for a mediocre return? I dunno.

It's also worth noting that Romanov didn't exactly take a leap in development after he was sent there for the 13th pick.

And has Paul forgiven the refusal to give a bonus?

Doubt it.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I would hate Romanov being the main piece coming back. Dobson would be amazing but that isn’t happening. Isaiah George is interesting as an add on. Their first (20th overall) is interesting. Maybe draft Solberg or Luchanko. Lou isn’t getting any younger. He may overpay but I just don’t see Marner in an isle jersey

Reactions: ULF_55 and ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
JT back to the Island for a year after his signing bonus has been paid.
Now that would be something, I don’t think Islander fans are welcoming JT back anytime soon……..or ever for that matter………

I'm not sure if Pelech qualifies as a "young piece". I also wouldn't bother targeting a Liljegren partner - he's hardly a piece to build around and he's most likely gone.

If it is Dobson I'd imagine it would look like:

McCabe-Dobson
Rielly-Tanev
Benoit-X
Hey should be shopping Lilly, not shopping for a partner for Lilly…….

Reactions: ToneDog

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

That and LW which already has oodles of guys in house, yet Bert is the UFA resigning getting the most buzz.
Weird plays.

Reactions: Americanadian

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Now that would be something, I don’t think Islander fans are welcoming JT back anytime soon……..or ever for that matter………

Hey should be shopping Lilly, not shopping for a partner for Lilly…….
No way they bring Lily back. He is closer to a bust than a dman on a SC winner. Shame Hunter passed on a kid from Aurora who played on his f***ing London Knights. SMH.

Reactions: Duffman955
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad