Confirmed with Link: Ducks hire Rich Clune as an assistant coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Here's hoping we don't start cursing his name.
Hopefully, But at least I'd be cursing his name knowing we at least tried to think out the box and go with a fresh new mind rather than cursing the name of some old fecker that's already failed at coaching on multiple other teams but just keeps getting hired because he's "experienced"

Reactions: lwvs84 and HanSolo

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Maybe he'll finally rid this team of drop-pass zone entries on the PP.

Do we have enough players who can play the dump-and-chase effectively? If not, then the drop pass might be the most effective way of Ozone entry. We have Z and Carlsson who think efficiently to keep the puck or pass the puck when entering the zone.

I think our bigger problem on the PP is we don't do enough once we're in the Ozone. We relied on players getting hot instead of having a scheme to fit around particular players or scheme to create confusion and splits. For example, when Mac is waiting by the slot this past season, there was a defender close to Mac b/c of how effective Mac was in his rookie season. Great, use Mac as a pawn to go from a 5v4 PP to a 4 v3 PP, but also have Mac on a timed crash the paint on those set plays in case a rebound occurs.

Reactions: lwvs84 and ScarTroy

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Why? Do you think that he doesn't feel that way or that he's incapable of writing? There is no evidence for either thing.
Because my wife was a PR professional and wrote press releases all of the time. She would write the release and make up a quote for someone. She would then have the person approve the quote and would then send out the release.

Reactions: MCB

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Because my wife was a PR professional and wrote press releases all of the time. She would write the release and make up a quote for someone. She would then have the person approve the quote and would then send out the release.
Sure, but this wasn't from an organization, or from a person representing an organization. This was a personal message from a guy leaving an organization. Why would anyone from the Leafs write a goodbye to themselves? It doesn't make any sense for this to be written by anyone other than Clune.

It seems overly cynical to me to assume this wasn't a sincere note of gratitude from someone leaving a place they loved.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Sure, but this wasn't from an organization, or from a person representing an organization. This was a personal message from a guy leaving an organization. Why would anyone from the Leafs write a goodbye to themselves? It doesn't make any sense for this to be written by anyone other than Clune.

It seems overly cynical to me to assume this wasn't a sincere note of gratitude from someone leaving a place they loved.
I hardly think that I am cynical about this. I am just saying that PR people write these sorts of releases all of the time, and the team could easily have one of its PR people write this for him. There is nothing wrong with that. It is just the way that the system works. I had my wife write quotes for me. She was very good at it, and wrote better statements than I would have written myself.

Regardless, I don't think that there is much more to be said about this, and it is not worth any more of either of our time debating this. You are right, that no one will know for sure unless Clune says something, or unless he turns out in future interviews to be incompetent in communicating to the public.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
A few posts above you is a quote detailing some of his experience turning around a terrible power play lol

I understand that he may have run the best powerplay, but the Marlies arguably have the best and biggest payroll in the AHL to acquire better talent over teams.

People just want to complain.

Yes - I’m sorry, I’ll accept the BIG improvement of having a 1 point improvement over last season

I guess I should set aside the low energy looks this team gave last season, even with a supposed a new and ‘exciting’ coach. They were truly unwatchable

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
Maybe this is a first world problem... But I seem to recall the Leafs power play vanishing in the playoffs. That's kind of the main reason they lost the series or am I misremembering?

Sure, I would love to have the Ducks make the playoffs at all, but when it got more physical, Toronto's power play died.

• Haha
Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Maybe this is a first world problem... But I seem to recall the Leafs power play vanishing in the playoffs. That's kind of the main reason they lost the series or am I misremembering?

Sure, I would love to have the Ducks make the playoffs at all, but when it got more physical, Toronto's power play died.
But was it just the PP or was it the fact their big dogs never played up to big dog status all playoffs long?

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com

Clune didn't coach the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad