GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah you got the homer disease - no point conversing with ya. Hronek was fantastic last year - were you in jail or something? Locked up with no access to the internet? lol.

Some people don't want to live in realty and that's OK.

That package is better than Fiala or Dubois' package.

Hronek's a 2/3 RD. He's by far the best asset if we're talking about trade value.
What did I just read? Lmao… Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Like everyone who has responded to your proposal, it’s complete shit. It won’t happen. Don’t get upset about it.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I have been thinking (and posting) about similar moves. I think you might have even overpaid a few UFAs there too, but that tjisr means that these are doable signings.

It's amazing how much different we look if we can move Marner, immediately and radically different. Turning him and his cap space into Wright, Larsson and Roy is a dramatic improvement.

You have Grebenkin as the extra, I have Cowan. Grebenkin can be a Marlie and Cowan cannot. That's a factor for me.
Another idea I've had is the following...

To St.Louis
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
Prospect

To Toronto
Colton Parayko
Pavel Buchnevich

Sign Sean Mohahan 4 x 4.5 million
Sign Tyler Bertuzzi 5 x 5.5 million
Sign Matt Roy 5 x 6 million
Sign David Perron 2 x 2 million
Sign Nick Robertson 2 x 1.5 million
Sign Connor Dewar 2 x 1.25 million
Sign Laurent Brossoit 3 x 3 million
Trade Calle Jarnkrok for futures

Bertuzzi / Matthews / Buchnevich
Knies / Monahan / Nylander
Robertson / Tavares / Perron
McMann / Holmberg / Dewar
Grebenkin

Rielly / Parayko
McCabe / Roy
Benoit /Timmins

Brossoit
Woll

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafChief

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If we
Another idea I've had is the following...

To St.Louis
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren
Prospect

To Toronto
Colton Parayko
Pavel Buchnevich

Sign Sean Mohahan 4 x 4.5 million
Sign Matt Roy 5 x 6 million
Sign David Perron 2 x 2 million
Trade Jarnkrok for futures

Bertuzzi / Matthews / Buchnevich
Knies / Monahan / Nylander
Robertson / Tavares / Perron
Grebenkin

Rielly / Parayko
McCabe / Roy
Benoit /Timmins

Brossoit
Woll
If we could replace tavares with Domi and then use that cap space tp add a 1G the team would be set

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Given the (@$(T#& Capitals have purchased CapFriendly, and are going to shut it down, I figured I'd work on my mock scenario one last time, in honour of what a great resource it's been. I just need a goalie...

Trades​

Edit

TOR​

1. Wright, Shane
  2. 2024 1st round pick (SEA)

SEA​

1. Marner, Mitchell

Edit

TOR​

1. McBain, Jack
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (UTA)

UTA​

1. Järnkrok, Calle
  2. Kämpf, David
  3. Robertson, Nicholas

Free Agent Signings​

RFAYEARSCAP HIT

Dewar, Connor
2$892,500

Robertson, Nicholas
3$1,200,000

Gregor, Noah
2$800,000

Steeves, Alex
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT

Domi, Max
4$4,000,000

Montour, Brandon
5$7,500,000

DeMelo, Dylan
4$4,570,000

Roy, Matt
4$4,500,000

Kane, Patrick
2$4,000,000

Draft Picks - Click draft pick to insert into trade​

DRAFTROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
Logo of the TOR

Logo of the SEA
Logo of the UTA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR

Logo of the NSH

Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR

Logo of the OTT
ROSTER

LONG-TERM OUTLOOK

EMBED

TEXT-EMBED

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
Tooltip
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$21,545,500$0$3,062,500$4,954,500
Delete PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade

Prorated Cap Hit

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Domi, Max
$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA
Matthews, Auston
$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Kane, Patrick
$4,000,000
RW
UFA
McMann, Bobby
$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Cowan, Easton
$904,667
LW, C
RFA - 3
Waivers Exempt
Knies, Matthew
$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Waivers Exempt
Wright, Shane
$886,667 (
Performance Bonus
$3,062,500)
C
RFA - 3
Nylander, William
$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Gregor, Noah
$800,000
LW, RW
RFA
McBain, Jack
$1,599,999
C, LW
RFA - 1
Dewar, Connor
$892,500
LW, C
RFA
Reaves, Ryan
$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Holmberg, Pontus
$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
RW5
LW6
Roster created at CapFriendly.com | Follow on Twitter @CapFriendly
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Montour, Brandon
$7,500,000
RD
UFA
Woll, Joseph
$766,667
G
RFA - 1
McCabe, Jake
$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Roy, Matt
$4,500,000
RD
UFA
G2
Benoit, Simon
$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
DeMelo, Dylan
$4,570,000
Edit

RD
UFA
G3
Timmins, Conor
$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1
RD4
If DeMelo makes it to FA that should be a big target for us. But he's 30 or so with something like 12M in career earnings coming off of being a part of one of the top three pairings in the NHL last year.

He ain't coming to TO for 4M to play on the third line, especially when we have a perfect partner for him in Rielly.

Third F line is much stronger/ ready than the second.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If the plan was to pay more for talent than other teams I’m pretty confident we’d have seen the same outcome, covid or no-covid. At the end of the day Dubas gave out brutal contracts to guys that didn’t deliver and couldn’t afford to back them up with guys who could pick up the slack. Unfortunately Treliving has doubled down.
Understand that I am not defending Dubas or his plan, I am saying it is difficult to assess it because the world changed after he had locked into a plan. He signed four guys that made up 50% of the teams payroll with the belief that the cap would go up, they would make up 40% of his cap and he would have $20M more to spend than he did.

Pasternak signed for ~14% of the cap. If the cap were $100M he signs for much more than $11.25M. There are other examples of this too.

Reactions: aingefan

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Would a Lillypad for Laughton swap interest anyone if he’s not in Toronto plans? I know Philly was shopping him for a 1st round pick.

Would be a clear upgrade on Kampf while making 3m for this year and next at age 30.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Would a Lillypad for Laughton swap interest anyone if he’s not in Toronto plans? I know Philly was shopping him for a 1st round pick.

Would be a clear upgrade on Kampf while making 3m for this year and next at age 30

I'd rather just trade Liljegren for a pick or have him play on the bottom pair

We've already got Holmberg and Kampf and even if you move one of them (Kampf obviously) there's so many cheap options in UFA or high priced guys that can push Tavares down I think there's better options

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If we

If we could replace tavares with Domi and then use that cap space tp add a 1G the team would be set
No chance Tavares waves, IMO. Much better chance of getting Marner to move. Tavares chose Toronto to return in Toronto. I think that happens.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Only difference I'm seeing between Leafs and Panthers are special teams and better puck movement from the Panthers blue line. Bobrovskys goaltending has fluctuated between average to good, similar to our goalies in 1st round (with a bit more less than average from ours early in the series)

Starting to jump on the Montour bandwagon. I'd rather get a Montour before the breakout though, but beggars can't be choosers.

McCabe and Benoit have perfected their goon zone entry. They block the puck with their shoulder and bring it in the zone with high energy. This allows us to not need a Forsling as well. McCabe is a sleeper pick to hit the 30 point mark next season.

Reactions: Brobust

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Only difference I'm seeing between Leafs and Panthers are special teams and better puck movement from the Panthers blue line. Bobrovskys goaltending has fluctuated between average to good, similar to our goalies in 1st round (with a bit more less than average from ours early in the series)

Starting to jump on the Montour bandwagon. I'd rather get a Montour before the breakout though, but beggars can't be choosers.

McCabe and Benoit have perfected their goon zone entry. They block the puck with their shoulder and bring it in the zone with high energy. This allows us to not need a Forsling as well. McCabe is a sleeper pick to hit the 30 point mark next season.
Puck movement from blue line isn't always about skill and skating. IQ plays a very huge role. Dmen dont even need to move half the time when sharing puck around.

We can't have a dummy like Liljegren in our Montour or Forsling spot. He's sucked ever since he lost Sandin being the brains of the line and will continue to get exploit

So if high skill 2 way D isn't available for us it's not that big of a deal we just target high Iq players who make good decisions and get rid of the low iq one. I am hoping for Montour too though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Some unsexy trade suggestions

• Pontus Holmberg to Edmonton for Derek Ryan (apart of a great PK group)
  • Robertson+? (if at all) for Mavrik Bourque (Dallas)
  • Kampf+OTT 7th 2024 to NJD for 2027 DAL 4th
  • Jarnkrok and Timmins to NSH for 2024 3rd and 2025 3rd (DAL/COL picks respectively)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
On the D side, I’m happy enough with the left side.
I’m perfectly happy with Lili as one of three on the right.
Maybe the transition plan includes signing him for two, and Topi being next man up.
Both represent either second or third pair RD with the right partner imo, pending gaining a lil mass.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Puck movement from blue line isn't always about skill and skating. IQ plays a very huge role. Dmen dont even need to move half the time when sharing puck around.

We can't have a dummy like Liljegren in our Montour or Forsling spot. He's sucked ever since he lost Sandin being the brains of the line and will continue to get exploit

So if high skill 2 way D isn't available for us it's not that big of a deal we just target high Iq players who make good decisions and get rid of the low iq one. I am hoping for Montour too though.

The bolded is inaccurate.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Trade Mitch Marner to Seatle and return Adam Larsson and Shayne Wright.
Sign Matt Roy 5 × 6 million
Sign Chandler Stephenson 5 x 6 million
Sign Max Domi 4 x 4.5 million
Sign Jani Hakanpaa 2 x 2.0 million
Trade Timothy Liljegren for futures
Trade Calle Jarnkrok for futures
Trade David Kampf for futures

Bertuzzi / Matthews / Domi
Knies / Stephenson/ Nylander
Robertson / Tavares / Wright
Grebenkin

Reilly / Larsson
McCabe / Roy
Benoit / Hakanpaa
Timmins

Brossoit
Woll

Total Cap Hit: $87,053,000

IMO, that's a much more well rounded hockey team than Toronto iced in 2023-2024. Play Wright on Tavares' wing and give him some situational opportunities at center. When he needs a breather, Grebenkin slots in at 3RW or 4RW. IMO, in one off season you will have upgraded at 2C, 3C, 1RHD, 2RHD, G.
I also love the idea of a Knies - Stephenson - Nylander line

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Shea Theodore is one year from UFA. Unless he agrees to a sub $9M extension before the trade, this is a potential disaster trade for the leafs.

There will be some fall out from this for sure, I am making assumptions a bit too.

Treliving was able to quickly extend Weegar and Huberdeau and I have to imagine Theodore's extension would be negotiated not long after the trade is made. I actually think he could/would come in around that Rielly contract number.

The fall out after that? I would guess that Rielly is traded by the following off-season.

Lots of assumptions on my part.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Which means the trade return isn't going to be favorable and/or reflect market value. How the hell is #2/3D, a top 9 forward (albeit overpaid), and someone who scored 24 goals at 1M cap hit this year a bad offer? LOL
Mikheyev is a negative, basically cancels our Hoglander (and then some). Hoglander is also an undersized LW'er, something we have in spades right now. He doesn't fit an organizational need and isn't really an upgrade when you consider what McMann and Robertson did last year.

So you're flipping Marner for Hronek. That's just a bad return. Realistically your value is closer if you lose one of the wingers and add a first.

Reactions: Brobust

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
There will be some fall out from this for sure, I am making assumptions a bit too.

Treliving was able to quickly extend Weegar and Huberdeau and I have to imagine Theodore's extension would be negotiated not long after the trade is made. I actually think he could/would come in around that Rielly contract number.

The fall out after that? I would guess that Rielly is traded by the following off-season.

Lots of assumptions on my part.

I think if his extension was at Rielly's number, VGK probably wouldn't have traded for Hanifin.

I think a big reason that trade happened is because VGK knows Theodore will be looking for a lot more. And Toronto will probably have to go even higher than that.

I think the better move would be to target someone younger, with potential to grow. Either get a high pick in the draft and sign a defenceman or someone young who hasn't broken out. Somebody pointed out the Fiala trade, and the Wild got a long term core player entering his prime years out of that deal. That should be the goal.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Hoglander, Hronek and Mikheyev for Marner

Hronek and Marner sign respective extensions.

Fair?
Toronto would have 0 interest in 2 of the 3 players.. We moved on from Mikheyev, why would we want him back, if we wanted him @ that number, we would have resigned him, and Hoglander is a 4th line player on a good team.

Replace Hoglander and Miky for Garland and a pick and you're getting closer. You think you're getting a top 10 winger in the NHL extended for a top 4 d-man, a bad contract in Miky and a fringe 3rd liner/4th line player

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think if his extension was at Rielly's number, VGK probably wouldn't have traded for Hanifin.

I think a big reason that trade happened is because VGK knows Theodore will be looking for a lot more. And Toronto will probably have to go even higher than that.

I think the better move would be to target someone younger, with potential to grow. Either get a high pick in the draft and sign a defenceman or someone young who hasn't broken out. Somebody pointed out the Fiala trade, and the Wild got a long term core player entering his prime years out of that deal. That should be the goal.

It's possible, Korczak was a big part of the return for me as well.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We badly need a strong secondary puckmover on defense.

McCabe is capable but we need to close the gap from Rielly to the next best defender at moving the puck.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I'd rather just trade Liljegren for a pick or have him play on the bottom pair

We've already got Holmberg and Kampf and even if you move one of them (Kampf obviously) there's so many cheap options in UFA or high priced guys that can push Tavares down I think there's better options
My thought process is, assuming Toronto is signing 2 higher cap hits for the top 4 dman spots. (4.5m on Tanev/Walker/Zadorov) and around 5.25m+ for Roy/Pesce/Montour/Skiej), The money goes quick.

I think Lilly will be in 2.5m-3m range for an extension, and I don't think Toronto can afford to pay someone that kind of money in 5-6 slot.

Looking at the UFA centers, it drops off fairly quick from the top guys, who I think we can't afford IF we spend big money on D, (Stamkos/Wennberg/Stephonson/Monahan). There's lesser guys like Henrique/Rosovlic/Blueger/ but with age and caphit, I'd rather Laughton over the 2nd tier guys.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

out of the 2, Lil is the only one who knew how to actually plat defense, while Sandin was all offense, and even then, not as good at producing as he 'looks' on the ice, and his time in Washington in a bigger role proved it too
its interesting how they both had identical 3 goal and 20 assist seasons last year, though Sandin was used in an offensive role, while Lil mostly defensive, and Lil did it in 55 games vs 68 for Sandin

Reactions: supermann_98

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
These guys are gonna be so upset when the Marner trade gets half of what they were hoping for.

Since when do wingers that can't score in the playoffs with no contract control have any substantial value?

Forgot to mention he has a FULL No Move Clause so he completely controls his destiny.

Funny stuff from Leafs fans... not sure why I was expecting otherwise.

Also. I would take Fiala at his cap hit/age at the time of trade vs Marner at his cap hit/age at the time of trade. FIala at 7.8M is way better than Marner at 12+

Fiala went for a good prospect and a first at the time of the trade. Hope you guys aren't expecting substantially more.
Thank you for bringing up the Fiala trade, do you really think Faber and the 19th overall pick is equivalent to Hronek, Mikheyev and Hoglander?

I think if you ask any Leaf fan, they would be more than happy with that return for Marner.

Not sure why you decided to come in here, start name calling myself and Leaf fans basically, when you proposed a complete garbage offer for one of the games best two-way wingers and then the best part of it all bring up the Fiala trade and say “hope you guys aren’t expecting substantially more” meanwhile if you ask any Leaf fan they would be happy with a Faber and the 19th overall pick type of return.

Again, stop embarrassing yourself for your own sake.

Reactions: supermann_98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad