GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
if Marner would waive what about Mitch to NYI for Noah Dobson + Pageau. as a base. NYI struggled with offense last year, and once they moved Dobson they would need to sign a Montour/Skjei to replace some of his offense.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Chicago is a logical fit for Marner. Young, up and coming team. They've got tons of picks and prospects we can use to restock our farm and with the cap space we can we wait for the right FA to be available.

Reactions: hullsy47

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Some unsexy trade suggestions

• Pontus Holmberg to Edmonton for Derek Ryan (apart of a great PK group)
  • Robertson+? (if at all) for Mavrik Bourque (Dallas)
  • Kampf+OTT 7th 2024 to NJD for 2027 DAL 4th
  • Jarnkrok and Timmins to NSH for 2024 3rd and 2025 3rd (DAL/COL picks respectively)
I've seen Borque for Robertson brought up several times now and why would Dallas do that? Bourque has been developed perfectly by them, and has a spot penciled in on arguably the deepest forward group in the league. Why would they trade him for similarly aged player who can't stick on one of the least deep forward groups in the league? If Robertson has Bourque level value, why wouldn't the Leafs keep him?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Chicago is a logical fit for Marner. Young, up and coming team. They've got tons of picks and prospects we can use to restock our farm and with the cap space we can we wait for the right FA to be available.

But why would Marner want to go there? They're an awful team, and adding Marner doesn't make them a playoff team. He could easily end up on a non-playoff team for most of the rest of his prime if he does that.

Reactions: horner

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
if Marner would waive what about Mitch to NYI for Noah Dobson + Pageau. as a base. NYI struggled with offense last year, and once they moved Dobson they would need to sign a Montour/Skjei to replace some of his offense.
Dobson is a Norris contending #1D. Those don't get traded for soft wingers 1 year from UFA.
I agree. Problem is the Leafs have no leverage in a deal with teams like Chicago or Anaheim. Those teams have no incentive to make a trade because they aren't going for the playoffs. If Marner likes Chicago and Chicago wants Marner, both parties would want to wait until next summer unless a trade is cheap

But why would Marner want to go there? They're an awful team, and adding Marner doesn't make them a playoff team. He could easily end up on a non-playoff team for most of the rest of his prime if he does that.
Any team paying Marner what his contract demands are will be middle of the pack at best

Reactions: VanW27

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Non playoff team = 82 game season guaranteed.

Losing constantly in round #1 with 7 games max = 86-89 games.

The difference between a sweep 86 games and full 7 games 89 game season is not much different then missing the playoffs in terms of days in season and games played.

Our current Leafs losing in round #1 in 7 of past 8 years are only marginally better than a non playoff team in that regard.

Golfing and summer season simply starts a week or 2 earlier for Marner. :wg:

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Still think a package of Marner to Buffalo works great for both teams.

To Toronto-
Cozens
Samuelsson
2024 1st Round Pick

To Buffalo-
Marner
Liljegren
2024 1st Round Pick

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

To Toronto-
Cozens
Samuelsson
2024 1st Round Pick

To Buffalo-
Marner
Liljegren
2024 1st Round Pick
Cozens is younger, signed long term, and plays a more valuable position. Buffalo doesn't do that 1 for 1. Let alone adding in the better pick and better D too

Reactions: VanW27

horner

May 22, 2007

To Toronto-
Cozens
Samuelsson
2024 1st Round Pick

To Buffalo-
Marner
Liljegren
2024 1st Round Pick
Fun to talk about but marner nmc is not want to go to Buffalo would you .

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Your trolling.

Dozens isn't even a quarter the player marner is.
I'm not. Show me the last time a player like Cozens (young, high draft pick, NHL success early on) was traded for a player one year from UFA.

Nowhere did I say Cozens was the better player. But the idea of how contracts and age work seems to be lost on a lot of you

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Fun to talk about but marner nmc is not want to go to Buffalo would you .
He'd go if they will pay him the most money but why would a budget team upset their salary structure for Marner? You think Johnny Hockey signs with Columbus if there more attractive destinations willing to pay him? Mitch will be in the same boat if he is looking for $12+m IMO.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I'm not. Show me the last time a player like Cozens (young, high draft pick, NHL success early on) was traded for a player one year from UFA.

Nowhere did I say Cozens was the better player. But the idea of how contracts and age work seems to be lost on a lot of you
What a f***in clown

Show me the last time a 47 point player was the main peice in a trade for a 100 point player with selke votes.

Absolute lunacy.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Dobson is a Norris contending #1D. Those don't get traded for soft wingers 1 year from UFA.

I know exactly what Noah Dobson is as a player. Mitch is one of the best offensive players in the game and NYI was 22nd in offense last year with only 6 million in cap space. I didn't think I had to specify Marner would come with a contract extension but my bad on that...

Noah is also potentially only 2 years away from UFA so he could play next season take NYI to Arbitration and then walk the summer after. so it's not like he's a guaranteed long term piece in NYI.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Pulock seems like the much more reasonable suggestion, not a chance they would even consider Dobson

Pulock + Pageau, I can see the logic on both sides.

Now would the Isles even have interest in Marner? I'm not sure they would, and would Marner waive for NYI? Seems questionable at best to me.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I know exactly what Noah Dobson is as a player. Mitch is one of the best offensive players in the game and NYI was 22nd in offense last year with only 6 million in cap space. I didn't think I had to specify Marner would come with a contract extension but my bad on that...

Noah is also potentially only 2 years away from UFA so he could play next season take NYI to Arbitration and then walk the summer after. so it's not like he's a guaranteed long term piece in NYI.
Even coming with a contract extension, those situations don't warrant legit NHL players in return when the player in question is of UFA age like Marner is. Only RFA trades get the big returns. In this case Dobson is the RFA.
Another clown response
Instead of stomping my feet and crying like you are, I'll leave it at this.. You're going to be awfully disappointed in the return if he's traded

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Marner agrees to waive his clause and sign an extension, 100% Cozens needs to be apart of the deal. I don’t think Buffalo runs from that. If Marner agrees to waive his clause but doesn’t agree to an extension right away, no chance Buffalo includes Cozens.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Even coming with a contract extension, those situations don't warrant legit NHL players in return when the player in question is of UFA age like Marner is. Only RFA trades get the big returns. In this case Dobson is the RFA.

Instead of stomping my feet and crying like you are, I'll leave it at this.. You're going to be awfully disappointed in the return if he's traded
Please use more than single digit brain cells before you post

Any team trading for marner, is going to have a contract extension in place prior to the deal being finalized.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If Marner agrees to waive his clause and sign an extension, 100% Cozens needs to be apart of the deal. I don’t think Buffalo runs from that. If Marner agrees to waive his clause but doesn’t agree to an extension right away, no chance Buffalo includes Cozens.
Genuine question, when have UFA's to be ever warranted that kind of return, even with an extension?

Please use more than single digit brain cells before you post

Any team trading for marner, is going to have a contract extension in place prior to the deal being finalized.
See above

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Marner for Dobson would be a huge win for Tre but Tre could not get a Dobson for Nylander so I bet he can't get one for Marner. Marner's cap hit and ask is going to reduce his market value IMO.

Reactions: JKG33

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Pulock seems like the much more reasonable suggestion, not a chance they would even consider Dobson

Pulock + Pageau, I can see the logic on both sides.

Now would the Isles even have interest in Marner? I'm not sure they would, and would Marner waive for NYI? Seems questionable at best to me.

NYI was 22nd in offense last year they need a high end offensive guy, to say the 7th highest producing offensive player league wide over the last 5 years, wouldn't interest them seems silly.

Reactions: Duffman955

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Wonder if Detroit could be a fit for Marner. Lots of cap space (although some key rfas to resign) not too far from Toronto if that's an issue for him..sort of 'right there' team that may be desirable enough..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've seen Borque for Robertson brought up several times now and why would Dallas do that? Bourque has been developed perfectly by them, and has a spot penciled in on arguably the deepest forward group in the league. Why would they trade him for similarly aged player who can't stick on one of the least deep forward groups in the league? If Robertson has Bourque level value, why wouldn't the Leafs keep him?

They're pretty stacked at centre with Seguin, Hintz and Johnston in top 3 lines, he's not a 4C, someone could move to wing but Robertson is a natural winger, probably good for 20 goals 40-50 pts if he got PP2 minutes, obvious sibling connection.

Bourque is also 22 now, hasn't really played a significant amount of games, he's going to be able to get top 9 minutes in Toronto, you might be doing him a favor.

I don't know what Dallas's plans are either, I have a thought process with it but they have might have a different one entirely.

Wonder if Detroit could be a fit for Marner. Lots of cap space (although some key rfas to resign) not too far from Toronto if that's an issue for him..sort of 'right there' team that may be desirable enough..

Raymond or Seider only lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad