GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I feel like this is an overreaction. He got suspended in the playoffs for sticking up for his team mates. He showed passion which is something the team lacked for years before and after till this year.

Was his suspension ideal…. No it sucked that it happened but to get to the point and call him POS is over the top unless I am missing something else that happened.
Nah, he was a man child that couldn't stop throwing temper tantrums and targeting the head. His only passion was himself.

Hell, even today you can't watch a Calgary game without him trying to slewfoot someone. One of the dirtiest POS's in the league

Reactions: Apex Predator

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Here is the full history, FWIW.

Nov. 14, 2013 – Suspended three games for interference​

Kadri was suspended three games for running goaltender Niklas Backstrom during a road contest against the Minnesota Wild. Although it was determined there was no intent to injure, Kadri’s hit did result in the netminder sustaining a head injury. Kadri forfeited $44,615.37 in salary at the time. A lot has changed since then as Kadri, Jake Gardiner and Morgan Reilly are the only current members of the Leafs who played that night. Current Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan, who was the league’s director of player safety at the time, even narrated his suspension video.

March 2015 – Team-imposed suspension​

The 2014-15 campaign wasn’t great for Kadri or the Leafs. The team’s record stunk and Kadri’s numbers had dipped from his previous two seasons. When he showed up late one day to the team’s practice facility and missed a meeting, he was sent home by then-interim head coach Peter Horachek and made a healthy scratch.

A couple days later, Shanahan announced Kadri would sit an additional two games as punishment.

“We like Nazem Kadri. His teammates like him. It’s time for him to start making better decisions,” Shanahan told reporters at the time. “There comes a point where you’ve got to grow up. … We expect a certain level of professionalism. It’s time for [Kadri] to start making better decisions. There’s a history here.”

March 18, 2015 – Suspended four games for illegal hit​

Kadri’s rough month continued. After returning from his team-imposed punishment, the league dinged him for this illegal check to the head of Edmonton Oilers forward Matt Fraser. It was a textbook blindside headshot and a play no longer accepted in today’s game. This hit cost him $141,463.40 in salary.

Feb. 11, 2016 – Fined for throat slash gesture​

Kadri was docked $5,000 for directing “inappropriate gestures” towards Mark Giordano after he was rocked by an open-ice hit courtesy of the Calgary Flames captain. Kadri was fuming when he returned to the bench and he repeatedly told Giordano, “You’re dead,” while making a throat-slashing gesture. That’s a big no-no.

April 1, 2016 – Fined for diving/embellishment​

The NHL announced Kadri had been fined $5,000 under the league’s diving/embellishment rule for several violations. His first official warning occurred Feb. 4 of that year. His second citation was from a March 12 game against the Ottawa Senators that cost $2,000 and the third was during a March 21 game against the Flames that cost him $3,000.

“I’m not really too concerned about it to be honest,” Kadri said when asked about his reputation as a diver. “It’s not going to change the way I play.”

April 4, 2016 – Suspended remainder of regular season​

A few days after his diving fine, Kadri found himself in hot water yet again when he dropped Luke Glendening of the Detroit Red Wings with a retaliatory crosscheck to the face. Kadri defended his actions by saying his crosscheck “kind of rode up on his shoulder a little bit” but that didn’t stop the league from making him sit the final four games of the regular season. He also had to forfeit $200,000 in salary.

April 21, 2017 – Penalized for low-bridging Ovechkin​

OK, this one didn’t end up in a suspension or fine but the reason we’ve included it here is because it was a questionable hit he was penalized for that happened to occur in the playoffs. It would seem when games are at their most intense, so is Kadri. Most of his supplemental discipline has occurred in either March or April.

April 12, 2018 – Suspended three games for boarding​

One year and one day prior to his crosscheck on DeBrusk, in the exact same corner of TD Garden, Kadri earned a three-gamer for boarding Tommy Wingels in Game 1 of the Bruins-Leafs opening-round series. It was an ugly hit – somewhat similar to the one that resulted in a one-game suspension for Nikita Kucherov – and one where Wingels was lucky to avoid serious injury based on where his head was in relation to the boards.

It did not help when former Leafs coach Ron Wilson gave his opinion on Kadri: “I never felt that Nazem ever listened to me. If we had drawn a hard-line with him and sent him down to the minors and made an example of him early on in his career, he might not be doing these things now. He might have been reformed.”

------------------------------------

Former Toronto Marlies Dallas Eakins recalled a conversation he had with Kadri when he was in the AHL and that he threatened to involve his father in order to ensure he did not deviate from the plan they put in place for his development. In a way it showed Kadri’s immaturity, because to think that using a parent to get through to a hockey players is something only coaches in younger levels would try to do.

--------------------

In Brendan Shanahan’s first season running the Maple Leafs, he was so concerned about the direction in which Nazem Kadri’s career was going, he suspended him from the team, essentially for insubordination.

In that season of discovery and disappointment, Shanahan figured that there was enough about Kadri worth fighting for — so much so that, when he called him to his office to explain the internal suspension, he didn’t call him alone.

He included his parents in the meeting, which is extraordinarily rare for anything that happens in professional sport. Players, yes. Agents, yes. But parents?

Shanahan wanted the London-based Kadri family, mom and dad, to know how much he cared for the hockey player, the person, their son, the talent level. And he wanted Kadri’s parents to have a full understanding of what the expectation was to being a Maple Leaf.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I feel like this is an overreaction. He got suspended in the playoffs for sticking up for his team mates. He showed passion which is something the team lacked for years before and after till this year.

Was his suspension ideal…. No it sucked that it happened but to get to the point and call him POS is over the top unless I am missing something else that happened.

Might be over the top, but there was more to the story than the 2 playoffs suspensions.

It is hopefully in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: Apex Predator

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Four forwards I would love to be after if the money is right.

Alex Wennberg - adds much needed center depth. Solid two-way play.

Dakota Joshua - size and depth scoring. I think he could be a diamond in the rough. I would be careful on the contract though.

Danton Heinen - very good two way player, scores more than you would think.

Jordan Martinook. Size, PK, and can also score abit. Watch the contract though.

Some others to consider:

Anthony Beauvillier is coming off of a few down years. Only 27, what would he want? Could be an interesting buy low candidate.

I would also inquire on Jack Roslovic. He has is issues, but can help with scoring and brings a ton of speed that we sorely need.

Daniel Sprong has bounced a round a lot, but he scores a ton. For cheap?

Kasperi Kapanen? Mostly for the laughs, but he has speed to burn. For league minimum on the 4th line?

Zemgus Girgensons? For under a million he would be a more cost effective 4th line Center.

Regarding Defencemen:

One name I haven't heard a lot but I think would fit really well is Alex Carrier. Still only 27, skates well, moves the puck well, and actually is quite physical for a smallish guy. RHD. Contract should be reasonable.

Dylan Demelo isn't as sexy as some others, but very good player who will likely be a reasonable deal as well.

Oliver Kylington - if he took leauge minimum? Buy super low.

Obviously the big names like Montour, Roy, Skjey, etc would be amazing with decent contracts.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
???? Sammy won a round? He was great in game 6
He won a round with identical numbers as Campbell. Campbell was great in many games and made big saves at times to win us games. Doesn't change the fact both goalies had terrible game and sometimes those games they had to be big in were because of them letting in soft goals. We lost with Campbell putting up a 934 save % and 1.81 GAA his first year here. The entire point of this talk was we pay all this money and they don't win and the main reason for that is scoring under 2 goals a game. All the money to the top 6 they should be able to score us more than 2 goals a game themselves.

Reactions: TMLAM34

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
They flirted with trading Nylander, didn’t like the offers and gave him 11.5 million.
What a strange leap from considering moving a player to overpaying 8 years with a NMC.

I worry the same thing with Marner. Well he won’t waive, or we don’t like the offers, here is 13 million. Why are we still struggling in the playoffs? Strange.

I just think people are overeacting about Marner...

When leafs had the most succes offensively ? When marner was carriying the offence, when they struggle the most to score, when Marner struggle.

3 best year in term of scoring for toronto in playoff

2017-2022-2023 in those 3 years Marner had 7 goal 31 pts in 25 game. on those 3 year matthews had 22 pts, nylander 21.

The years Marner struggle, leafs was strufgling to score to produce.

This is most likely how it will play out…

1) We ask him to waive (supposedly) and he says no…
2) He comes back next season (keeping the core 4 intact)
3) He goes on a hot streak (dumb fans get excited) and we lock him up long term

Leafs brass keeps him like they want to all along. They just make it seem like they were listening to their fans by toying with the notion of trading him.

4) Marner continues to be invisible in the playoffs as he doesn’t have the ability to elevate his game (evident he doesn’t have the heart nor drive to do what is necessary and go into the difficult areas)

Now, I hope I’m wrong on all accounts.
I hope the Leafs either deal him or Marner grows a pair and matures.

Cheers
People reacting like every elite player having great series every time. Exemple crosby when pittsburgh won the cup in 2016. Vs Sj in 6 game he had only 4 assist, in 2nd round vs washington he had 2 assist in 6 gm vs Washington... did anyone said Crosby had been trash?

Did he struggled to produce number offensively? yes but did he be as bad than people saying.

If we watch seriously leafs core production,
matthews line produced in 1 game
Nylander 1 game.

Both Matthews/Nylander had 1 good game in 5 and 4 game = it's fine

Marner also struggle to produce but dont having that single part = he's awful he doesn't deliver, the reason of every leafs fail and hes the guy who absolutly need to go...

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If we're bringing back Marner, I don't see the point in re-signing Bertuzzi.
We need to go cheaper/younger up front, and leave the rest of the money to spend on the blueline & goaltending.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I just think people are overeacting about Marner...

When leafs had the most succes offensively ? When marner was carriying the offence, when they struggle the most to score, when Marner struggle.

3 best year in term of scoring for toronto in playoff

2017-2022-2023 in those 3 years Marner had 7 goal 31 pts in 25 game. on those 3 year matthews had 22 pts, nylander 21.

The years Marner struggle, leafs was strufgling to score to produce.

People reacting like every elite player having great series every time. Exemple crosby when pittsburgh won the cup in 2016. Vs Sj in 6 game he had only 4 assist, in 2nd round vs washington he had 2 assist in 6 gm vs Washington... did anyone said Crosby had been trash?

Did he struggled to produce number offensively? yes but did he be as bad than people saying.

If we watch seriously leafs core production,
matthews line produced in 1 game
Nylander 1 game.

Both Matthews/Nylander had 1 good game in 5 and 4 game = it's fine

Marner also struggle to produce but dont having that single part = he's awful he doesn't deliver, the reason of every leafs fail and hes the guy who absolutly need to go...
Marner was his best in the playoffs when Babcock was here and he was playing with Bozak and JVR. His 2nd season is the only series he's played in with us where he was consistent with scoring/putting up points. Then Keefe comes here and Marner is made the main guy of the offence pretty much and in the 9 games over the years if you only count Games 6 & 7 in the 7 game series we had he only got 1 point in all those years/games and it was an assist in Game 7 vs TB in 2022. You can even go and add in his game 5s and maybe even 4s and it won't make it look much better. So when people say Marner doesn't deliver during the playoffs, this is what they are talking about.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Screenshot 2024-06-03 210525.png

@Americanadian

This is the kind of lineup they might be able to put together is they trade Marner for pure futures. So at the very least, I think relying on some mid players in a Marner trade would be poor management. I don't think Nic Roy puts this team over the top.

Even if they can't put a proper Drury trade together, they can find someone to fill the gap for at least one year or till the TDL. In this scenario, they've added a bunch of trade assets.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Marner was his best in the playoffs when Babcock was here and he was playing with Bozak and JVR. His 2nd season is the only series he's played in with us where he was consistent with scoring/putting up points. Then Keefe comes here and Marner is made the main guy of the offence pretty much and in the 9 games over the years if you only count Games 6 & 7 in the 7 game series we had he only got 1 point in all those years/games and it was an assist in Game 7 vs TB in 2022. You can even go and add in his game 5s and maybe even 4s and it won't make it look much better. So when people say Marner doesn't deliver during the playoffs, this is what they are talking about.

Nobody had been enough good, not 1 player but all of those player.

Marner best playoff was when he was playing was with plekanec and marleau against Bergeron line where he drive.

Personally i would like to see marner playing under Berube with a line exemple knies-Gourde-Marner

Reactions: Brobust

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Pretty sure he had some attitude issues. Like parking in handicap spots and refusing to move and showing up late.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marchessault is still the guy I think the Leafs should go hard at.
Thats the type of players the Leafs need.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nah, he was a man child that couldn't stop throwing temper tantrums and targeting the head. His only passion was himself.

Hell, even today you can't watch a Calgary game without him trying to slewfoot someone. One of the dirtiest POS's in the league

I think there’s a time and a place for everything. Kadri was an imperfect and somewhat expendable player when he was here. He was also not that young, so his tantrums and lack of self control didn’t exactly make him a stable veteran leader for this current generation.

But he would be a breath of fresh air on this no personality core group. We need bad boys in a bad way here.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think there’s a time and a place for everything. Kadri was an imperfect and somewhat expendable player when he was here. He was also not that young, so his tantrums and lack of self control didn’t exactly make him a stable veteran leader for this current generation.

But he would be a breath of fresh air on this no personality core group. We need bad boys in a bad way here.
I've got no time for players like Kadri. Give me guys like Sam Bennett (who I did want before Florida got him in the covid year) who's out there playing physical for the crest on the front instead of the name on the back

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've got no time for players like Kadri. Give me guys like Sam Bennett (who I did want before Florida got him in the covid year) who's out there playing physical for the crest on the front instead of the name on the back

Well, I think you have it wrong there because whatever Kadri is, Sam Bennett is more so. He plays hard, but he’s also guilty of a lot of things that could have gotten him suspended. Kadri punching Marchand in the head would have been a suspension. Kadri choke slamming Knies would have been a suspension.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
View attachment 879342

@Americanadian

This is the kind of lineup they might be able to put together is they trade Marner for pure futures. So at the very least, I think relying on some mid players in a Marner trade would be poor management. I don't think Nic Roy puts this team over the top.

Even if they can't put a proper Drury trade together, they can find someone to fill the gap for at least one year or till the TDL. In this scenario, they've added a bunch of trade assets.
I was never denying they could fill out a lineup if Marner doesn't return an NHL player. I also wasn't proposing Marner for Roy 1-for-1. I proposed Marner, Dewar for Roy, Hill, Korczak. I do agree a Marner deal for futures still allows the Leafs to field a competitive team - it just requires additional luck in UFA. Roy/Demelo/Chatfield would be an awesome 1/2/3 but a bit expensive.

You can use this new file which now includes the AFP updated salary projections for next season: 2024 WAR Roster Builder

Also for some reason my values are slightly different from the ones in the file you're using.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I was never denying they could fill out a lineup if Marner doesn't return an NHL player. I also wasn't proposing Marner for Roy 1-for-1. I proposed Marner, Dewar for Roy, Hill, Korczak. I do agree a Marner deal for futures still allows the Leafs to field a competitive team - it just requires additional luck in UFA. Roy/Demelo/Chatfield would be an awesome 1/2/3 but a bit expensive.

You can use this new file which now includes the AFP updated salary projections for next season: 2024 WAR Roster Builder

Also for some reason my values are slightly different from the ones in the file you're using.
Some of the salary projections are interesting.
Walker for 4.6 M does not look bad.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Nobody had been enough good, not 1 player but all of those player.

Marner best playoff was when he was playing was with plekanec and marleau against Bergeron line where he drive.

Personally i would like to see marner playing under Berube with a line exemple knies-Gourde-Marner
You're right. I mixed up the years about that 1 playoff series and his linemates.

You can say the others haven't been good enough, especially Matthews, but at least they are a bit more consistent when it comes to putting up points late in the series. The only reason Marner is the main one discussed is simple. His contract is up after next season and Tavares. Tavares is not gonna be asking for more than what he currently makes and most likely will be making 50% less than he is now if he wants to think about staying here. Marner on the other hand will be asking for more money and probably closer to Matthews and we'd be stupid to give that to him and repeat what we've done the last 6 years by penny pinching to fill out the depth scoring or letting good depth players walk because we can't afford to keep them here. He'll probably even have his best season yet since it's a contract year and nothing motivates these guys more than making more money. Are we supposed to waste another year of this core until Tavares contract is up to justify paying Marner?

I agree that I think Marner could be good with Berube, but I also don't like the idea of giving Marner 12-13 mil or losing him for nothing.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Well, I think you have it wrong there because whatever Kadri is, Sam Bennett is more so. He plays hard, but he’s also guilty of a lot of things that could have gotten him suspended. Kadri punching Marchand in the head would have been a suspension. Kadri choke slamming Knies would have been a suspension.
Gotta disagree. Kadri earned his reputation as a diver, petulant child, and cheapshot artist. Bennett is a borderline dirty player but he's nowhere near Kadri, he just hits harder

Has anyone posted this?
I just can't see Leafs management leaking their plans to a golfer who knows little/nothing about the sport

Reactions: Menzinger

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ask Colorado and LA fans.
I'd take him at that rate. Even coming off an injury it was idiotic for Blake to trade him as a salary dump to Philly.

He never got much of an opportunity in LA because their lone strength has always been depth at RD, where he was always behind Doughty and Roy.

In a perfect world Tre tells the overpaid forwards to sink or swim, and backs up the brinks truck to get a D core of:

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Walker
Benoit-Liljgren

I wouldn't be opposed to spending even more to bring in Skjei too

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
You're right. I mixed up the years about that 1 playoff series and his linemates.

You can say the others haven't been good enough, especially Matthews, but at least they are a bit more consistent when it comes to putting up points late in the series. The only reason Marner is the main one discussed is simple. His contract is up after next season and Tavares. Tavares is not gonna be asking for more than what he currently makes and most likely will be making 50% less than he is now if he wants to think about staying here. Marner on the other hand will be asking for more money and probably closer to Matthews and we'd be stupid to give that to him and repeat what we've done the last 6 years by penny pinching to fill out the depth scoring or letting good depth players walk because we can't afford to keep them here. He'll probably even have his best season yet since it's a contract year and nothing motivates these guys more than making more money. Are we supposed to waste another year of this core until Tavares contract is up to justify paying Marner?

I agree that I think Marner could be good with Berube, but I also don't like the idea of giving Marner 12-13 mil or losing him for nothing.

If Money Mitch is asking for Matthews money, he may as well ask to be traded. He won't be brought back at that figure.

I'd guess he's aiming to be around Nylander's deal but if he wants to gain back the goodwill of the city, I think he needs to take 10. That may pay more in the long-run for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad