GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If Money Mitch is asking for Matthews money, he may as well ask to be traded. He won't be brought back at that figure.

I'd guess he's aiming to be around Nylander's deal but if he wants to gain back the goodwill of the city, I think he needs to take 10. That may pay more in the long-run for him.
When you step back and look at it, its honestly hilarious that Dubas bungled the contracts so badly that Marner legitimately deserves a paycut as a 28 yr old 6 years later.

Ignore Marner's playoff failures and piss poor attitude. It's mind blowing that a 90 point winger in the prime of his career actually deserves a paycut on his 3rd contract, yet here we are.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Well, I think you have it wrong there because whatever Kadri is, Sam Bennett is more so. He plays hard, but he’s also guilty of a lot of things that could have gotten him suspended. Kadri punching Marchand in the head would have been a suspension. Kadri choke slamming Knies would have been a suspension.

As much as I hate playing against him, at least Bennett targets impact players with his dirty shit. If Kadri got suspended for taking Marchand out of a series I don’t think anyone would complain, but he got suspended for retaliating against relative no names that came back the next shift. Run Marchand, Bergeron, or McAvoy into the boards the next time you’re on the ice, not Tommy Wingels.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Gotta disagree. Kadri earned his reputation as a diver, petulant child, and cheapshot artist. Bennett is a borderline dirty player but he's nowhere near Kadri, he just hits harder

I just can't see Leafs management leaking their plans to a golfer who knows little/nothing about the sport

Could be a pro scout. Could be an agent. Could be a coach. Could be a player right? Heck could be Marner.

There are all kinds of recent clips of high ranking government officials/pharma execs/military

with loose lips spilling all kinds of secrets on twitter on first dates with undercover reporters. I could see some one telling a pro golfer easily.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
When you step back and look at it, its honestly hilarious that Dubas bungled the contracts so badly that Marner legitimately deserves a paycut as a 28 yr old 6 years later.

Ignore Marner's playoff failures and piss poor attitude. It's mind blowing that a 90 point winger in the prime of his career actually deserves a paycut on his 3rd contract, yet here we are.

He doesn’t deserve a pay cut at all. The cap will be 92.5 already agreed to.

The idea that a multiple time 95 plus pt player 2 time first team all star and selke finalist gets 11.7% of the cap isn’t likely.

He doesn’t deserve 13 million. But he is worth more than 10.9

Willy got 11.5. Petey 11.6

I think Marner should sign for 8/93 so he gets his junior number he loved so much. And 11.625 is a little more than Willy. That’s pretty fair.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
As much as I hate playing against him, at least Bennett targets impact players with his dirty shit. If Kadri got suspended for taking Marchand out of a series I don’t think anyone would complain, but he got suspended for retaliating against relative no names that came back the next shift. Run Marchand, Bergeron, or McAvoy into the boards the next time you’re on the ice, not Tommy Wingels.
In his defense, Kadri did take out Binnington who was a major hurdle for Colorado the year they won the cup, so he does go after impact players from time to time.

Reactions: Duffman955

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Has anyone posted this?
Appears Pelley’s talking out of school……….

If Money Mitch is asking for Matthews money, he may as well ask to be traded. He won't be brought back at that figure.

I'd guess he's aiming to be around Nylander's deal but if he wants to gain back the goodwill of the city, I think he needs to take 10. That may pay more in the long-run for him.
If he wants to regain the goodwill of the city he should waive his NMC………

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I was never denying they could fill out a lineup if Marner doesn't return an NHL player. I also wasn't proposing Marner for Roy 1-for-1. I proposed Marner, Dewar for Roy, Hill, Korczak. I do agree a Marner deal for futures still allows the Leafs to field a competitive team - it just requires additional luck in UFA. Roy/Demelo/Chatfield would be an awesome 1/2/3 but a bit expensive.

You can use this new file which now includes the AFP updated salary projections for next season: 2024 WAR Roster Builder

Also for some reason my values are slightly different from the ones in the file you're using.

Mine has Sherwood under $1M and Lafferty a million cheaper too, which I did think was low. Using your file, my team would still be cap compliant if you replace those two guys. Also, you've still got Adin Hill in there over Cam Talbot. Replacing those 3 makes the team $4.5M under cap. Allowing more flexibility in the Marner trade. They could take some bad money back to improve the return.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You're right. I mixed up the years about that 1 playoff series and his linemates.

You can say the others haven't been good enough, especially Matthews, but at least they are a bit more consistent when it comes to putting up points late in the series. The only reason Marner is the main one discussed is simple. His contract is up after next season and Tavares. Tavares is not gonna be asking for more than what he currently makes and most likely will be making 50% less than he is now if he wants to think about staying here. Marner on the other hand will be asking for more money and probably closer to Matthews and we'd be stupid to give that to him and repeat what we've done the last 6 years by penny pinching to fill out the depth scoring or letting good depth players walk because we can't afford to keep them here. He'll probably even have his best season yet since it's a contract year and nothing motivates these guys more than making more money. Are we supposed to waste another year of this core until Tavares contract is up to justify paying Marner?

I agree that I think Marner could be good with Berube, but I also don't like the idea of giving Marner 12-13 mil or losing him for nothing.

1- no body know how much he wqnt on a new contract, all this are just specularion

2-Start to play when you're down 3-0 or 3-0, it is really better ?

3- a player who taking a lot of high risk an exemple scoring 6 pts but his team gave 10 goal because of his risky game, do he really help the team more than a player who will get just 4 points but gave up only 1 goal? Because at the end, yes the goal is to score goal and win game but you still need to score more than your opponent. So if the reason you are producing more is just because you're taking much more risk, 7•• youbreally better? I gave up nylander exemple and his 1st goal gm 6. It was a high risk play and do the same thing against a better player than Beecher and it's a breakaway unstead of leafs goal. Personally, that's remembered me the Galchenyuk breakaway gm 5 vs mtl when that play happened. Luckily with a better result but He took a high risk who paid off but who could at the same time hurt extremely hard his team. So i ask you, the fact exemple nylander looked better offensively, it is only result of nylander taking more risk or just the result he was better. If its just because he took more risk, doesn't mean Berube will still allowing nylander to play that way... It's not a simple thing. If they want to move a player from the core, they need to make the right choice, they will just gonna pay for it.

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
1- no body know how much he wqnt on a new contract, all this are just specularion

2-Start to play when you're down 3-0 or 3-0, it is really better ?

3- a player who taking a lot of high risk an exemple scoring 6 pts but his team gave 10 goal because of his risky game, do he really help the team more than a player who will get just 4 points but gave up only 1 goal? Because at the end, yes the goal is to score goal and win game but you still need to score more than your opponent. So if the reason you are producing more is just because you're taking much more risk, 7•• youbreally better? I gave up nylander exemple and his 1st goal gm 6. It was a high risk play and do the same thing against a better player than Beecher and it's a breakaway unstead of leafs goal. Personally, that's remembered me the Galchenyuk breakaway gm 5 vs mtl when that play happened. Luckily with a better result but He took a high risk who paid off but who could at the same time hurt extremely hard his team. So i ask you, the fact exemple nylander looked better offensively, it is only result of nylander taking more risk or just the result he was better. If its just because he took more risk, doesn't mean Berube will still allowing nylander to play that way... It's not a simple thing. If they want to move a player from the core, they need to make the right choice, they will just gonna pay for it.
I don't think one needs to be a genius to have a good idea. Do you think his ego will allow him to take less than Nyander and not argue that he is as valuable as Matthews since he yearly leads the team in assists?

Reactions: Jmo89

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The idea that a multiple time 95 plus pt player 2 time first team all star and selke finalist gets 11.7% of the cap isn’t likely.

I think Marner should sign for 8/93 so he gets his junior number he loved so much. And 11.625 is a little more than Willy. That’s pretty fair.

When you look at some of the comparables, he was quite overpaid. You look at Ratanen and Kucherov, and they were both paid in the 11% range. Both had similar production, but had success in the playoffs, and brought more to the game than putting up points.

Had Marner been paid Ratanen's contract %(11.35), he would have been paid $9.2 mil.

Has Marner's game, and success grown since that contract? I mean, on the defensive side, in the regular season, he's added to his game, but he hasn't had any playoff success, no physicality like those guys, and doesn't do what's needed to win, when it counts... how often does he take over games?

Even if you argue his game has grown some... and give him 11.5% That's 10 mil.

Nylander was paid appropriately the first time, but having screwed up the internal cap, we ended up overpaying him on the third contract. In all reality, we should have Nylander and Marner (next contract) at $10mil, and Matthews at $11.5-12.... Tavares if kept, should be in the $5 mil range. That would represent a $6 mil savings on the first three alone, which would give us a lot more room to add depth or d men.

Now, if Marner had shown the ability to be a superstar, and take over and dominate games when it counts, we might have a different discussion. But he's a guy who puts up a lot of points in the regular season, and even then, often disappears in the hard regular season games too. You pay people to be at the top of the league, they need to be at the top of the league.

He was 22nd in the regular season this year in points. He's 45th in goals over the last three years.... Meanwhile, he's 12th in the league in cap %. Way below Kucherov and Rantanen in production, guys paid a lower cap percentage than him, and they also bring way more to the game than him, and produce in the playoffs typically.

If he goes UFA, on the open market, I don't think he's getting the raise he thinks he does, unless someone is desperate. He just doesn't do enough to justify his pay.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If he did not have such poor playoff performances, that would be very fair, especially knowing Tavares is coming off the books in a year.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I didn't really pay attention to secondary impact players this playoffs I just watched it casually. For those with eagle eyes, how did these guys fare?
- Roy
- Pesce
- Can't bother googling the spelling. Skeji?
- Zadorov
- Lindholm
- Necas

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If Chandler Stephenson makes it to free agency he should be our primary target.
Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Stephenson-Marner
Mcmann-Tavares-Robertson
Holmberg-Kampf-Reaves/Jarnkrok

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021

Yes, I as a fan should be totally concerned with what junior number Mr. Grown Man loved so much. And let's overpay the shit out of him in the process! Everyone wins!

Oh wait, no, only Mitch wins in that scenario and we take it up the ass with a cheese grater again. What a load of crap.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I didn't really pay attention to secondary impact players this playoffs I just watched it casually. For those with eagle eyes, how did these guys fare?
- Roy
- Pesce
- Can't bother googling the spelling. Skeji?
- Zadorov
- Lindholm
- Necas
Roy - was on LA, so, take that into consideration ...he should be one of our primary targets
Pesce - got hurt, and it cost the Canes, they likely advance with him in the lineup
Skjei - is the best defender available (better than Montour) but a lefty. He should be a target also (moves Rielly down to 2nd pair which would be even better than a 'good' RHD partner for him
Zadorov - personal opinion is that he was one of Vancouvers most impactful D-men, likely priced out for us, as he's best suited for bottom 4, and we can get Walker/Carrier for maybe less than he expects.
Lindholm - underwhelming for me
Necas - imagine a worse defensive version of Nylander who puts in less effort defensively too

Carrier would be half the money
No, he wont. ...and I dont expect Walker to be that cheap either, if he is, sign him! ...and if Carrier is cheaper, sign them both.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Darren Ferris has started working the media dogs. Things are about to get really nasty.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Not sure how this team can actually address the blueline and our depth if Marner is kept and over 50% of our salary cap goes to the core four…

Unfortunately it’s starting to look and sound like that’s what’s going to happen which makes it very hard to get excited about next season.

Reactions: Dog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just keeps getting worse and worse.

I thought this was the pertinent part:

It appears extension talks for the Toronto Maple Leafs with star forwards Mitch Marner and John Tavares are on hold as both players get set to enter the final season of their contracts.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun writes in The Athletic(opens in a new tab) that the focus for Marner "is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there." He adds that there is not believed to be an appetite to open contract talks on July 1, with Marner's camp preferring to see how the season starts before potentially getting started.

But it is expected isn't it?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Treliving went from a terrible situation into an even bigger terrible situation. I hope he figures something out that works... but this is going to be a very weird off-season and certainly not the major changes people thought we'd get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad