GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
3rd line RW, Jarnkrok's spot
That's not even taking into account a possible Marner trade
Sure it makes sense to me and you....but is Treliving ready to insert a 20yr old rookie into a lineup and team with cup aspirations

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not seeing the logic of being excited to pay a good 30 year old dman but being afraid to pay the same for an elite 30 year old goalie.

Because we have 2 young goaltenders in the organization and basically no defensive prospects with top 4 upside

Sure it makes sense to me and you....but is Treliving ready to insert a 20yr old rookie into a lineup and team with cup aspirations
He's good, I wouldn't be shocked if he's in the top 6 by Christmas

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He's traded away 40% of the picks who've played regularly in the NHL....
He traded only 3 out of 35 drafted prospects, and only one that represented a loss of futures.
Even if you think they were good reasons, those moves still depleted the pool.
Trading Sandin did not deplete the pool. Quite the opposite. It added back into it, after extracting the surplus value out of a successful draft pick.
Trading Durzi was an action that removed from the pool, but it was a reasonable cost in a great trade for exactly what we needed, that also provided us surplus value.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If you never take any risk, you will never get anything. Leafs didn't take a high risk, they sign him a little bit higher of 4 M for 1 YEAR in a ufa marker who was pretty thin last season. It was a low risk deal and finally he get hurt and goes on LTIR so at end didn't really change anything

same with Domi/Bertuzzi and the beauty make than leafs actually having $$$$ to spend and upgrade the D right now in a better market

There is a big difference between signing a bad defenseman, who is known to be bad, and two forwards, who have had mixed success.

Anybody paying any amount of attention, or who watched him at all, knew Klingberg was, and continues to be a terrible player defensively.

""

Reactions: Menzinger and Kiwi

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
According to jets fans and reporters, the disconnect is he wants to play right away and be put in the lineup. Jets think he's not ready just yet and with their team being a contender, no space to put him in the lineup right away. Might be a few more years

So the question is, are the leafs any different? Can we give him the playing time he wants right now?

So he's looking for a free pass to the NHL.
I'm sure that will go over well with all the other prospects?
Keefe was fired right?

I think there must be something lost in the translation, or there's an ego problem.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
It is like this every year. After the emotional gut punch of the team losing, a bunch of people attempt to blame everything on Marner instead of looking at what actually happened and the actual issues, and they advocate for damaging this team moving forward in exchange for a brief moment of personal catharsis. As we get more distance from the emotional event, what's realistic and best for the team starts overcoming that initial reaction, and I hope management gets to that point before they really screw up this team's future cup potential.

Nobody said it did. But we do need to replace his level of impact and then some, within that cap space, if the objective of this is to improve the team. I don't see many realistic pathways to that. And nobody advocating for him to leave is suggesting realistic pathways to improve the team through it either. It's just angry, exaggerated statements, and then acting like the basic act of breaking up the core is going to magically fix everything. It's like that old meme:

Step 1: Break up core.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit.

Most people are so focused on step 1, that they're missing the most important step. Without step 2, there is no actual plan.
What is his level of impact though? Like seriously? A team that has only failed just means our entire core hasn't made an impact and has failed. Most teams are lucky to have 2 superstars on forward who can produce 80+ points and we have 4 that have done it. Is their impact getting us into the playoffs? If so, then we can easily do that with just Matthews and Nylander and then surrounding them with better defence and depth scoring. When has Marner or any of our core took over playoff games when facing elimination or when we have another team facing elimination and made an impact like that?

How can we sit here and act like his 11 mil of cap on top of the already 18 mil we got and then maybe even more if we move guys like Jarnkrok and Timmins wouldn't come with upgrading the teams weaknesses on defence and depth? They have said they want to upgrade the D so they clearly have a plan. Everyone who has suggested moving Marner has said the same thing. Improve the D and depth.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Because we have 2 young goaltenders in the organization and basically no defensive prospects with top 4 upside

He's good, I wouldn't be shocked if he's in the top 6 by Christmas

We know how goalie prospects are, though. Even in best-case scenario, Hilde shouldn't be counted on for several more years.

We do have Woll, and we know the story there, good and bad.

But again, Saros makes $5m this year. That's Bertuzzi money. It's a cap-positive move for the upcoming season. It wouldn't prevent us from Dman shopping on the UFA market.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He traded only 3 out of 35 drafted prospects, and only one that represented a loss of futures.

He traded 2 of the 5 good picks, and also tried to trade best one. Maybe if they made more good picks, teams would have wanted those too... but teams don't want pieces that aren't valuable.

Trading Sandin did not deplete the pool. Quite the opposite. It added back into it, after extracting the surplus value out of a successful draft pick.
Trading Durzi was an action that removed from the pool, but it was a reasonable cost in a great trade for exactly what we needed, that also provided us surplus value.

So 2 players out and 1 player in.... doesn't sound like "adding"....

And we're all still waiting for your list.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
McGroaty is absolutely what we need. Fits perfectly. Plus he’s a Toronto fan. We need to be this done. Our 1st this year plus what?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Not seeing the logic of being excited to pay a good 30 year old dman but being afraid to pay the same for an elite 30 year old goalie.

Saros, at least, is a top 5-10 goalie in the league. You're not getting a top 5-10 dman in UFA.

Also, Saros only makes $5m this year, so there's nothing stopping you from going after Pesce etc and also getting Saros.

The argument would be that skaters are generally more consistent than goalies and safer long-term bets.

Also comparing a top 5-10 goalie to a top 5-10 dman doesn’t seem very logical. The 10th best goalie is closer to an average starter than the best starter, while the 10th best dman is definitely elite. Taking the thought experiment further, a top 30 goalie is one of the worst starters in the league while a top 30 dman is a top pair guy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
McGroaty is absolutely what we need. Fits perfectly. Plus he’s a Toronto fan. We need to be this done. Our 1st this year plus what?

1719089530630.png

The Rangers traded for the rights to Adam Fox.

Fox made headlines earlier this season when reports surfaced he didn’t want to sign an entry-level deal with the Hurricanes.

If he returns to Harvard for his senior season next year, Fox would become an unrestricted free agent in 2020 and be free to sign with any team.

Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon said the team was exploring all of its options with Fox.

“We’ll try to trade him,” Dundon said in an interview with The News and Observer on April 1. “I think we’ll do OK. We’ll see.”

Fox was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as the top college player this season after posting nine goals and 48 points in 33 games at Harvard.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The New Jersey Devils were the winners of the Jacob Markstrom sweepstakes but they certainly had competition for the netminder.

It was no secret that the Toronto Maple Leafs, who are in the market for a goaltender, were among the teams looking to swing a deal for Markstrom.

Unfortunately, a deal between Toronto and Calgary could not come to fruition, despite general manager Brad Treliving putting together a fair trade proposal
, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported in the latest edition of the 32 Thoughts: The Podcast.

"I heard their offer to Calgary was comparable to New Jersey's," Friedman said. "But I think because of the politics there, I think Toronto was going to have to blow anyone else out of the water to get that player."

"I also think Markstrom at the end of the day preferred New Jersey most but he opened it up to teams like Toronto and Ottawa in the Eastern Conference but I think the Maple Leafs were going to have to win that deal."

So where do the Leafs go from here?

Friedman mentions a couple of goaltenders the Leafs will likely be linked to with free agency approaching.

"We know Toronto is in the goalie market but I think that's more of a Laurent Brossoit, Anthony Stolarz type piece," Friedman said.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We know how goalie prospects are, though. Even in best-case scenario, Hilde shouldn't be counted on for several more years.

We do have Woll, and we know the story there, good and bad.

But again, Saros makes $5m this year. That's Bertuzzi money. It's a cap-positive move for the upcoming season. It wouldn't prevent us from Dman shopping on the UFA market.

That limits what you can do this off-season, it also eats 8M+ next off-season to

There's to many good tandem guys available in UFA for me to go giving up assets to aquire a goaltender

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I think 2024 1st or Minten is fair beyond what is usually offered in these circumstances for a player like McGroarty.

Winnipeg is likely looking for NHL ready guys though, so it likely won't be the leafs.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Keefe was fired right?

I think there must be something lost in the translation, or there's an ego problem.

I don't give a ****, he's better than every prospect in the organization

I'd happily trade any one of them for him so let them be pissed off, be better than him then you can whinge about it

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
That limits what you can do this off-season, it also eats 8M+ next off-season to

There's to many good tandem guys available in UFA for me to go giving up assets to aquire a goaltender
Not really, your potentially asking two 30 year old goalies Stolarz who has played 109 games, and Brossoit whose played 141 games and both haven't started over 30 games in a season to potentially become the number 1 goalie on a team that's trying to win the Stanley Cup.

The team needs stability in net, not another circus.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Not really, your potentially asking two 30 year old goalies Stolarz who has played 109 games, and Brossoit whose played 141 games and both haven't started over 30 games in a season to potentially become the number 1 goalie on a team that's trying to win the Stanley Cup.

Exactly. We're either looking for a starter or we're betting against a 10 year sample size of Woll trying to play more than 37 games in a year.

For me it's easy, we need a starter. If Woll can take over and do his thing for the playoffs, great, but to expect him to play the majority of a season and then the playoffs at this point is borderline delusional.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It’s conceivable that Calgary just preferred NJs offer.

It is, but considering the Leafs were in on Zadorov and he went to the the Nucks for as little as a 3rd it's starting to look more like a pattern. Plus you've got added things like the Flames ownership preventing Tre from joining the Leafs at last year's draft during the first round....

I don't blame Tre for this,.seems more like the bitter party is the other side

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Talbot disappear? He played over 50 games and had better than average numbers

You also realize we can sign a good #3G to mitigate the risk of Woll and Stolarz/Brossoit

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Goalies are voodoo.

Calgary management is being so petty. Where has that got them?

I'll take a flyer on a mid tier guy.

Go get a couple good D man. That'll be the change and maybe a goalie who finally gets a chance... Woll, or someone else... will figure it out.

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022

Vegas won the cup with Adin Hill only playing a total of 88 career NHL games. The idea that your team can only win a Stanley cup is if your goalie played 300 games or more is crazy. St. Louis won the cup in Binnington first NHL season.

Even if we traded for Saros, do you believe that the playoff would be any different, when our Powerplay was at 4%.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Keefe was fired right?

I think we as fans overstate the loyalty of some prospects. If he has no connection to the team or city, they're more inclined to make things fully about business.

Jets are more than free to clear space for him if they do choose. And seems like they choose not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad