GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
even if he was playing ib a 3rd pair, he still playing over 16 min at 5v5 be the most productive dmen at 5v5 to create thing offensively from d a part of the game leafs having big issues.

and you probably watched them played more than NHL team eho spend money on scout to watch those player all year long and even he had a pretty bad year, he still producing more than oel this season and th e offensive part is the reason why they signed him

and i will add he ca be an option for leafs to resign Klinberg at good salary who can be a great option unstead of spend 7,5M in a guy like Montour and regret this signing in 2 or 3 season

The worst part, is you are actually serious about Klingberg. He’s been a defensive tire fire for some time… this take that he’d be a good option instead of Montour is hilarious.

Not that I’m in the Montour camp in the least.

We’d be just as far ahead signing Barrie. This is all just a bad idea.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Most people think McGroaty is ready now, it was a surprise when he went back. Seems now to be mainly due to not wanting to sign with Winnipeg.

As much as I would be interested in him, we have to admit there is some risk. Unless he reneges on his commitment to go back, he’ll only be one year away from choosing his destination when he can sign again. It’s possible at that point he decides to do the full 4 and pick his spot. You’d have to be very confident of his intentions to give up his proper value right now.

His dad is from Toronto. grew up a leafs fan and said he would love to play with Matthews and would be comfortable in Toronto at the draft

Would he be worth our 1st?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
His dad is from Toronto. grew up a leafs fan and said he would love to play with Matthews and would be comfortable in Toronto at the draft

Without a doubt. The question is what else are we adding because we will get outbid if thats all we're offering.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Without a doubt. The question is what else are we adding because we will get outbid if thats all we're offering.

Not if he wants to sign here.

He controls his market right? IFFFFF the report is true. The whole point is he doesn’t want to sign there so he is going back.

I guess I just don’t know where he would rank in this years draft?

Also he’s a winger. We have a bunch or those with some promise.

Maybe one d man and a bottom 6 c in the system?

I would probably rather go for those positions

Reactions: Kurtz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Oh for sure. But then 9 months go by and he or his agent might have a change of heart, just saying.

I'd presume if he gets dealt to a team he wants to play for he signs straight away

He's already players 2 full seasons of NCAA hockey

Yes, I'd offer them #23OA and Minten
He's a genuine top 6 forward

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Reading up on the kid, would love for the Leafs to be in on him. But I think some teams will put some serious value on the table for him. Dont think the Leafs will be able to match.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Lurking the Nash board on Saros - they're expecting a Markstrom-like return for him of a 1st+decent prospect or 3rd pairing D.

That's a very palatable price for the guy, and if we were willing to offer 1st+ for Markstrom I don't see why we wouldn't for Saros.

Reactions: Duffman955

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I'd presume if he gets dealt to a team he wants to play for he signs straight away

He's already players 2 full seasons of NCAA hockey

Yes, I'd offer them #23OA and Minten
He's a genuine top 6 forward
Would Robertson not be part of this deal? McGroarty is another winger. At some point, we have to trade wingers.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Lurking the Nash board on Saros - they're expecting a Markstrom-like return for him of a 1st+decent prospect or 3rd pairing D.

That's a very palatable price for the guy, and if we were willing to offer 1st+ for Markstrom I don't see why we wouldn't for Saros.
It maybe a small difference, but you at least have Markstrom for 4m for the next 2 years. Saros may jump to 8m+ starting next season.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If the Leafs had a serious offer on the table for Markstrom, it likely indicates there’s nothing seriously close with Marner involving a goalie.

I.e. no Theodore + Thompson

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Would Robertson not be part of this deal? McGroarty is another winger. At some point, we have to trade wingers.

You could do but I'm sure somebody would throw a pick at you for Robertson, probably just easier to do it I separate deals

Jarnkrok would have to go to, Kampf as well but I think you would get picks for both of them to

Reactions: notdoneyet

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
You could do but I'm sure somebody would throw a pick at you for Robertson, probably just easier to do it I separate deals

Jarnkrok would have to go to, Kampf as well but I think you would get picks for both of them to
I have no clue what the Jets need but they do not have that much cap flexibility. So I assumed they would want a cheap player like Robertson if they are sending out a cost controlled winger.

It also sounds like Perfetti could be offer sheeted.

Reactions: Jozay

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Then we get the privilege of paying that 30 year old goaltender over 8M with term as soon as next season. Yay

You can get a top pair D in UFA this off-season for less than that

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

I imagine Winnipeg would want a Robertson, considering he's an NHL'er and is under team control.

Reactions: LeafParade

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The worst part, is you are actually serious about Klingberg. He’s been a defensive tire fire for some time… this take that he’d be a good option instead of Montour is hilarious.

When I brought up Klingberg, my thoughts had nothing to do with Montour.

I asked if Klingberg might consider Giordano's contract to see if he still has something in the tank after his surgery? Other than a contract slot, he could be Marlied, or perhaps he'd fit the "performance criteria contract" based on injury time off? In the performance contract he'd only get paid for being good enough to be there. Not huge risk.

It was never about Montour versus Klingberg. Montour is hitting a homerun this year, and I'm not sure he's going to be close to an answer for the Leafs. Not the same players, but it does kind of remind of the Kadri deal where someone thought Barry was a fit.

Reactions: LeafSteel

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
According to jets fans and reporters, the disconnect is he wants to play right away and be put in the lineup. Jets think he's not ready just yet and with their team being a contender, no space to put him in the lineup right away. Might be a few more years

So the question is, are the leafs any different? Can we give him the playing time he wants right now?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
It maybe a small difference, but you at least have Markstrom for 4m for the next 2 years. Saros may jump to 8m+ starting next season.

True, but Saros is only at $5m in the upcoming season, which is a bargain. Plus he's 5 years younger and is a better goalie than Markstrom imo.

Reactions: Pinkcat

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I have no clue what the Jets need but they do not have that much cap flexibility. So I assumed they would want a cheap player like Robertson if they are sending out a cost controlled winger.

It also sounds like Perfetti could be offer sheeted.

If there tight on money a futures deal like the one I proposed would be pretty attractive and they may want a defenseman like Liljegren rather than a winger

There pretty stacked up front

I imagine Winnipeg would want a Robertson, considering he's an NHL'er and is under team control.
I think they might want Liljegren more, they have forwards everywhere

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If there tight on money a futures deal like the one I proposed would be pretty attractive and they may want a defenseman like Liljegren rather than a winger

There pretty stacked up front

I think they might want Liljegren more, they have forwards everywhere
Lilly makes sense for them. A quick Google search suggests they want players they can play now.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
According to jets fans and reporters, the disconnect is he wants to play right away and be put in the lineup. Jets think he's not ready just yet and with their team being a contender, no space to put him in the lineup right away. Might be a few more years

So the question is, are the leafs any different? Can we give him the playing time he wants right now?
3rd line RW, Jarnkrok's spot
That's not even taking into account a possible Marner trade

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Then we get the privilege of paying that 30 year old goaltender over 8M with term as soon as next season. Yay

You can get a top pair D in UFA this off-season for less than that

Not seeing the logic of being excited to pay a good 30 year old dman but being afraid to pay the same for an elite 30 year old goalie.

Saros, at least, is a top 5-10 goalie in the league. You're not getting a top 5-10 dman in UFA.

Also, Saros only makes $5m this year, so there's nothing stopping you from going after Pesce etc and also getting Saros.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

If you never take any risk, you will never get anything. Leafs didn't take a high risk, they sign him a little bit higher of 4 M for 1 YEAR in a ufa marker who was pretty thin last season. It was a low risk deal and finally he get hurt and goes on LTIR so at end didn't really change anything

same with Domi/Bertuzzi and the beauty make than leafs actually having $$$$ to spend and upgrade the D right now in a better market

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

Just means cap space to spend on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad