GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
With the Markstrom rumors coming out now, it tells me Treliving is definitely looking for a true #1. In saying that, what goalies are available? You have Saros, Ullmark, anyone else? Ullmark isn't coming here as we're on his no trade list, Saros will cost a ton.

If it’s even true, us being on his no trade means nothing. I’d bet every team with even a possible need in goal is on his 5-team no trade list. That is how you control your fate.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Markstrom was one of the players Treliving had before and liked and had a relationship with. He has a hard-on for former players

I don't think he's gonna offer up the same package for other goaltenders out there. I expect a goalie to sign in free agency.

I am however curious to see if he uses Liljegren and our 1st in separate deals/trades for another position instead

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Price and target. I don't mind Markstrom, but a first + for 1 year as a 34 year old is rough

Markstrom has 2 years left and will only cost Jersey 4.1M per after retention. That’s barely more than we paid Samsonov for his tire fire of a season last year.

Obviously the price will have to be commensurate with term remaining and any retention.

That said, don’t get me wrong, I would much rather Ullmark or Saros, but as much as we have all talked about it we don’t have any actual evidence that Saros is or will be available from the Preds. And any deal with Boston is going to be challenging.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
What he does is based on what happens in free agency. If he signs Bert and 2 very good dmen he may go 1a and 1b in goal

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Markstrom was one of the players Treliving had before and liked and had a relationship with. He has a hard-on for former players

I don't think he's gonna offer up the same package for other goaltenders out there. I expect a goalie to sign in free agency.

I am however curious to see if he uses Liljegren and our 1st in separate deals/trades for another position instead

Same package maybe not. Different but not necessarily cheaper.

Assuming Boston and Nashville were both willing to do a deal with us on Ullmark and Saros.

Markstrom had 2 years left where Saros and Ullmark both have 1.
Markstrom had 30% retention which Boston certainly isn’t doing, Nashville might.
However Saros and Ullmark are 29 and 30 instead of mid 30s and imo both better goaltenders

What he does is based on what happens in free agency. If he signs Bert and 2 very good dmen he may go 1a and 1b in goal

You’re probably right, but if it were me, I’m easily shoring up our goaltending before worrying about bringing Bertuzzi back

Reactions: aingefan

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You're confusing comparisons to Dubas as praise.
No, I'm showing the inconsistency in your argument. According to your own stated standards, you should be "denying their existence".
And still, the mediocre drafting isn't the end of the story with Dubas. Even when he did land a pick, we failed to develop them or traded them away.
What an odd statement. We kept almost all of our drafted prospects.
Between 2018-2022, we drafted 35 players. We traded away... 3. And Abramov was just to open up a contract spot, so only 2 "landed picks".

Durzi, years before he even "hit", to bring in a top pairing defenseman long-term.
Sandin, after 5 years of extracting almost all of the surplus value out of him, to get a 1st round pick that has produced an excellent prospect.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Markstrom has 2 years left and will only cost Jersey 4.1M per after retention. That’s barely more than we paid Samsonov.

Obviously the price will have to be commensurate with term remaining and any retention.

That said, don’t get me wrong, I would much rather Ullmark or Saros, but as much as we have all talked about it we don’t have any actual evidence that Saros is or will be available from the Preds. And any deal with Boston is going to be challenging.
We got awful value out of Sammy, so that doesn't sell me. $4.1M is fine if he plays like he's capable, but I question how capable he is at his age and the last two seasons.

Plus we have limited assets, and a good 1B in Woll who we want to start for playoffs.

I think he's a fit in Jersey, but I'd rather bargain hunt in net for GP than throw a first at it

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi and Sypher04

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
20 yr old Physical Power forward who grew up a Leafs fan and his favorite player in the world is Auston Matthews?

Is Treliving bout to make a huge offer for Mcgroarty?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We got awful value out of Sammy, so that doesn't sell me. $4.1M is fine if he plays like he's capable, but I question how capable he is at his age and the last two seasons.

Plus we have limited assets, and a good 1B in Woll he want to start for playoffs.

I think he's a fit in Jersey, but I'd rather bargain hint in net for GP than throw a first at it

There’s an argument for that prespective in the bolded. It’s something I wrestle with a bit, but I don’t think the idea of trading a 1st for the right goaltender is at all wrong necessarily. We’ve tried bargain shopping on our goaltending a few times and it’s turned it roughly how one might expect for us.

As for the first paragraph, fully agree. Markstrom to me was a riskier proposition than the others would be, especially Saros. If we could bring in Saros, and get him extended I’m more than comfortable moving a 1st in that kind of move.

20 yr old Physical Power forward who grew up a Leafs fan and his favorite player in the world is Auston Matthews?

How close to NHL ready is this kid considered?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
There’s an argument for that prespective in the bolded. It’s something I wrestle with a bit, but I don’t think the idea of trading a 1st for the right goaltender is at all wrong necessarily. We’ve tried bargain shopping on our goaltending a few times and it’s turned it roughly how one might expect for us.

As for the first paragraph, fully agree. Markstrom to me was a riskier proposition than the others would be, especially Saros. If we could bring in Saros, and get him extended I’m more than comfortable moving a 1st in that kind of move.

How close to NHL ready is this kid considered?
Apprently super close. As soon as next season

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

McGroarty the NCAA player who still has 2 years of school left?

Has he left school?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
McGroarty the NCAA player who still has 2 years of school left?

Has he left school?

He was supposed to sign with the jets this year but instead decided to go back to school. Friedman said this morning theres been trade talks surrounding him and that rumor is he doesn't want to play in winnepeg

This seems like an ideal Brad Treliving player

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No, I'm showing the inconsistency in your argument. According to your own stated standards, you should be "denying their existence".

Still waiting for your extensive list of elite prospects left to us by Lord Dubas....

What an odd statement. We kept almost all of our drafted prospects.
Between 2018-2022, we drafted 35 players. We traded away... 3. And Abramov was just to open up a contract spot, so only 2 "landed picks".

What an accurate statement. He's traded away 40% of the picks who've played regularly in the NHL.... and it would have been 60% if not for Shanahan stepping in.

Durzi, years before he even "hit", to bring in a top pairing defenseman long-term.
Sandin, after 5 years of extracting almost all of the surplus value out of him, to get a 1st round pick that has produced an excellent prospect.

Even if you think they were good reasons, those moves still depleted the pool.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Most people think McGroaty is ready now, it was a surprise when he went back. Seems now to be mainly due to not wanting to sign with Winnipeg.

As much as I would be interested in him, we have to admit there is some risk. Unless he reneges on his commitment to go back, he’ll only be one year away from choosing his destination when he can sign again. It’s possible at that point he decides to do the full 4 and pick his spot. You’d have to be very confident of his intentions to give up his proper value right now.

Reactions: rumman

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Most people think McGroaty is ready now, it was a surprise when he went back. Seems now to be mainly due to not wanting to sign with Winnipeg.

As much as I would be interested in him, we have to admit there is some risk. Unless he reneges on his commitment to go back, he’ll only be one year away from choosing his destination when he can sign again. It’s possible at that point he decides to do the full 4 and pick his spot. You’d have to be very confident of his intentions to give up his proper value right now.
I assume any team acquiring him has that convo with him directly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad