GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
'No Indication Yet As To Their Plans': Ilya Samsonov Likely Heading to Free Agency as Maple Leafs' Actions Speak Louder Than Words - The Hockey News

The silence from the Maple Leafs, combined with all the noise of the club's interest to acquire another goaltender signals that a change is likely coming between the pipes. Although Joseph Woll has long been seen as the future in Toronto, injuries have limited the goaltender to 36 regular season games over three seasons.
"36 regular season games over three season". I wouldn't put all my eggs into one basket, I like Woll and think he should be the 1B option, but you're going a really cheap option in goal from FA, you're expecting Brossint/Stolarz/Talbot to play 50-55 games lol.

That wouldn't be the route I go down when you need to start getting results in the 34 era.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
For the guys who bring nothing but offense
That would be the guys Treliving brought in.
Not everyone lives in your delusion that all our prospects are great.
All of our prospects aren't great. No team has every prospect be great. But our pool is much better than you'll admit.
Depth guys are supposed to do the surrounding
Depth guys surround each other as well, and and we didn't bring ones in that would mesh in our lineup or support an influx of rookies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Darren Dreger was front and center with the Marner contract negotiations and inflating the AAV numbers so I wouldn’t be surprised if his contact is Darren Ferris an he’s helping pump up the player for whatever reason. Dreger usually takes the position where “the Leafs are going to have to pay up!!!”
Dreger clearly has either the agent or Paul in his ear. I’ve never seen an insider simp so hard for a player like Darren does with Marner. Omg it’s like Darren gets commission on every word he says

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dreger clearly has either the agent or Paul in his ear. I’ve never seen an insider simp so hard for a player like Darren does with Marner. Omg it’s like Darren gets commission on every word he says
All of these 'Insiders' speak to GM's and Agents. What has he said that's different than what many others have said?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Would much prefer going after Colton @4m than signing DeBrusk to a big ticket deal in UFA or giving term to Bertuzzi who already can't skate. Basing this off Seravalli's comments.

Went for a 2nd last year, COL's motivation is cap space. Could probably be done for a young/cheap package like Liljegren or Robertson as a frame.

Smart team wanting to trade him to open up cap space doesn’t really get me excited about putting a package together to acquire him.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
An issue with signing Marner for a trade (brought up this morning on 590) is that Nylander and Matthews have NMCs that kick in right away. Marner would 100% definitely want the same thing. If we gave Marner 8-years with an NMC kicking in right away........I don't even have words.

I like your Joseph-Jarnkrok trade. Ottawa saves about a million for a similar player (they need the cap space) while we spend a bit more but get a fast guy with good defensive PK skills. Win-win. :clap:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Now, the Bruins shift their focus elsewhere, as GM Don Sweeney has been having trade discussions with other clubs about Ullmark, who also owns a 14-team no-trade list (not 15 teams, as some have reported).

There is a growing belief that Ullmark will find a new home within the next two weeks.
The Bruins have other holes to fill, and with Jeremy Swayman about to cash in on a big contract extension – I’m told those discussions are moving positively – Ullmark is preparing for a potential move.

Sweeney is expected to escalate some those other trade talks as early today, though it is unclear how many teams remain in the hunt. As I mentioned on NHL Network on Wednesday, the Ottawa Senators pushed for Ullmark during the season and have recently circled back in a big way, while the Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings and Carolina Hurricanes are three other teams weighing their goaltending options.

The Leafs are not in the mix for Ullmark, though, as Toronto is on his no-trade list. Ottawa is also believed to be on his list, but two separate sources have told me he would accept a trade to the Senators if a deal between the two teams is finalized.

Talks between the Bruins and Senators are ongoing, but Boston is not interested in taking back Joonas Korpisalo in a trade – Korpisalo has four more years left on his contract and comes with a $4 million cap hit – and Ottawa GM Steve Staios will need to be creative if he wants to land Ullmark or another No.1 netminder.

As reported on Wednesday, the Maple Leafs want to get bigger on the blueline and are looking for big, physical defencemen. One player no longer on their radar is Mario Ferraro. The Leafs and San Jose Sharks had discussions during the season, but I’m told he does not fit their current plan.

Reactions: Smif

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

Now, the Bruins shift their focus elsewhere, as GM Don Sweeney has been having trade discussions with other clubs about Ullmark, who also owns a 14-team no-trade list (not 15 teams, as some have reported).

There is a growing belief that Ullmark will find a new home within the next two weeks.
The Bruins have other holes to fill, and with Jeremy Swayman about to cash in on a big contract extension – I’m told those discussions are moving positively – Ullmark is preparing for a potential move.

Sweeney is expected to escalate some those other trade talks as early today, though it is unclear how many teams remain in the hunt. As I mentioned on NHL Network on Wednesday, the Ottawa Senators pushed for Ullmark during the season and have recently circled back in a big way, while the Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings and Carolina Hurricanes are three other teams weighing their goaltending options.

The Leafs are not in the mix for Ullmark, though, as Toronto is on his no-trade list. Ottawa is also believed to be on his list, but two separate sources have told me he would accept a trade to the Senators if a deal between the two teams is finalized.

Talks between the Bruins and Senators are ongoing, but Boston is not interested in taking back Joonas Korpisalo in a trade – Korpisalo has four more years left on his contract and comes with a $4 million cap hit – and Ottawa GM Steve Staios will need to be creative if he wants to land Ullmark or another No.1 netminder.

As reported on Wednesday, the Maple Leafs want to get bigger on the blueline and are looking for big, physical defencemen. One player no longer on their radar is Mario Ferraro. The Leafs and San Jose Sharks had discussions during the season, but I’m told he does not fit their current plan.
Interesting.

How to people feel about Korpisalo as 1b? That is, if we get involved in a 3 way trade with Boston and Ottawa. I don't hate it. .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JKG33

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
An issue with signing Marner for a trade (brought up this morning on 590) is that Nylander and Matthews have NMCs that kick in right away. Marner would 100% definitely want the same thing. If we gave Marner 8-years with an NMC kicking in right away........I don't even have words.

I like your Joseph-Jarnkrok trade. Ottawa saves about a million for a similar player (they need the cap space) while we spend a bit more but get a fast guy with good defensive PK skills. Win-win. :clap:

NMC’s on these types of deals are pretty standard TBH.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Interesting.

How to people feel about Korpisalo as 1b? That is, if we get involved in a 3 way trade with Boston and Ottawa. I don't hate it. Korpisalo does better playing 30 games or less.
Not many options left.
It's going to be another season of subpar goaltending, isn't it?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Any sign and trade, would have Marner's permission in advance. The other team would be negotiating the terms of the contract. This wouldn't be an issue.

In no world would Marner be signed, and then a trade sought after the signing.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Not many options left.
It's going to be another season of subpar goaltending, isn't it?
I personally can't wait to see in the upcoming season "our goalies are still sinking us" after running a poor mans tandem.

I'd rather pay the price this year and next 6 years trading and paying Saros then watching Toronto have the 2nd best goaltender in the series again. I don't see a issue paying Saros 7.25m-7.5m for 6 seasons when Tavares will be off the books. A good goaltender can fix and hide holes in your team.

He has a career avg of .917 save% and a 2.63GAA over 350 games played, his worst season was a .906 which was this past season.

In the playoffs he has a .911 save% and a 2.45GAA in 23 games.

Reactions: ACC1224

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We need to acquire some speed this offseason.
I was onboard with having to get bigger/tougher/meaner but you have to walk a fine line with this.
Speed in the forward group, speed and puck moving ability on the blueline are both areas we can improve.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We need to acquire some speed this offseason.
I was onboard with having to get bigger/tougher/meaner but you have to walk a fine line with this.
Speed in the forward group, speed and puck moving ability on the blueline are both areas we can improve.

Mikheyev @ 50% for Jarnkrok?????

Necas is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and is on the trade market.

Last edited:
Reactions: weems and ACC1224

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Mikheyev @ 50% for Jarnkrok?????

I'd say better example for me, is if both Bertuzzi and DeBrusk are there for us to sign and both are very close in contract demands, DeBrusk should definitely be the player chosen simply based on him being a more dynamic player.

I think we moved back closer to the middle in team building last season but if you go ever further in this direction, it can really end up bad.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Saw on Twitter that the Leafs may be interested in Erik Gubrandson. CBJ is trying to clear cap and he may be someone they trade.

Treliving had Gubrandson in Calgary. It fits the Pagnotta report of the Leafs trying to add big and physical defenseman. He would be our Edmundson replacement i assume

Gubrandson with retention?

Not that I think it would be good at all, but I do think Gudbranson + Merzlikins would be something Treliving would do.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Any sign and trade, would have Marner's permission in advance. The other team would be negotiating the terms of the contract. This wouldn't be an issue.

In no world would Marner be signed, and then a trade sought after the signing.
I get point A.

The second point....I was thinking after a year or two. If he doesn't figure things out.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Oh god that sounds awful

It would be pretty terrible indeed.

But maybe the Leafs can get Columbus to give them a 1st round pick, or maybe they can expand the deal to get someone like Jiricek or Johnson (both had some issues this past season). Or maybe with a lot of retention it wouldn't be bad. I dunno...

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Although Joseph Woll has long been seen as the future in Toronto, injuries have limited the goaltender to 36 regular season games over three seasons.
What an incredibly misleading stat. He also played 37 regular season games for the Marlies over that span. It’s amazing how incompetent you can be and still write about hockey.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
All of these 'Insiders' speak to GM's and Agents. What has he said that's different than what many others have said?

The assuredness in which Dreger speaks about the $12.5 million on Marner’s next AAV vs when he talks about a Sam Reinhart extension for example.

When he speaks about Marner the salary demand is escalatory and a certainty, the drama and uncertainty dialed up high and the Leafs always characterized as over a barrel.

When it’s Reinhart, it’s usually papered over with there’s mutual desire to get it done, wait and see no biggie and described in language like it won’t be a precedent setting deal.

Reactions: rumman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad