GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Would much prefer going after Colton @4m than signing DeBrusk to a big ticket deal in UFA or giving term to Bertuzzi who already can't skate. Basing this off Seravalli's comments.

Went for a 2nd last year, COL's motivation is cap space. Could probably be done for a young/cheap package like Liljegren or Robertson as a frame.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
And as we all know, those are the only players that will ever exist from that time, they vanish into thin air after this offseason, and they are defined by #pointz in 7 games of their rookie years.

Just more additions for your Dubas shrine.

But hey, if you don't want to "play the kids", talk to Mess.

We did play the kids, and they produced poorly.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
the thing is for me is that you can't fill all our holes in one off-season there simply not enough cap to go around and therefore you need to prioritize your cap this season. our biggest needs are a 3c, 2 top 4 Dmen, and a goalie. imo we simply don't have the cap to fill those.

therefore which position if not address is there the biggest potential to have a good season? and that is an easy answer it's goaltending. Woll when Healthy has been great for a rookie goalie, even has played a few playoff games and looked real good in those. I get health but with the lack of cap this season priority should be else where, so I would prioritize the 2 top 4 Dmen and 3c positions and then if I still have cap maybe then make a move to address the goaltending. but I have faith if healthy Woll is a very good goalie.

therefore I would sign 2 vet goalies to league min contracts similar to Martin Jones last year. with the addition to wanting to give Hildeby 4-5 games next year. Woll if Healthy would get 45-50 with the two vets filling in the other 20-30 games.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We played some kids, and they played well, and they and the rest to come will be beneficial moving forward, even if some didn't blow the #pointz doors off in lesser roles in a low-scoring 7-game playoff series in their rookie years. If you don't want to "play the kids", then your dispute is with Mess. If you're upset that we utilized kids this past year, then your dispute is with Treliving. I don't agree with your position that having kids to play is somehow bad.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
We played some kids, and they played well

They played well? You have very low standards, apparently... though that does explain your worship of Dubas' mediocrity.

they and the rest to come will be beneficial moving forward, even if some didn't blow the #pointz doors off in lesser roles in a low-scoring 7-game playoff series in their rookie years.

There are a couple that will, but it's not many. I guess Dubas had bad luck at the draft too, eh?

If you don't want to "play the kids", then your dispute is with Mess.

Is that really what you gleaned from my post?

If you're upset that we utilized kids this past year, then your dispute is with Treliving.

It isn't, but if it was, the dispute is with Keefe....

I don't agree with your position that having kids to play is somehow bad.

You don't agree with a position I didn't take. That's fantastic!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just more additions for your Dubas shrine.

They now have some NHL experience and should be better for it

Not everybody is Matthew's, sometimes you have to accept some indifferent results as you develop younger players

Reactions: Buds17

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Stolarz and Brossoit are my top two goalie targets

I’m fine with giving Woll some rope. Make it his year to show he can do it and have some vet support.

I’m also a fan of having a laneway for Hildeby too.

But I’m also of the mindset that it’s ok to take a step back in order to take a bigger step forward. And as willing to see how the young goalies can do.
If they are going the cheap route on goaltending, they better hit on the 20m they have to spend to make the team in front of them a lot better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We had a few discussions about Broberg a few months ago when he was sent to the minors.
From what we heard, he was their best defender in the minors and perhaps less than happy to be there.

I suppose he was never available though...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They played well?
Yes, our kids played well and provided quality depth for us this past season. And they will only improve from here.
There are a couple that will, but it's not many.
We've got a number of promising prospects to add to the prospects that we've already had graduate. The benefits of good drafting.
the dispute is with Keefe....
Treliving put them on the team, and also failed to provide anybody better. Either way, your comments are not only wrong, but directed at the wrong person.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Our luck we'll trade Hildeby 1 for 1 and he turns into the next Rask for them while Ullmark turns into a pumpkin.
The memories of that trade just never fade away unfortunately. In fairness, Toronto is a better team now compared to then and the same holds true for Ullmark as a goalie in comparison to Raycroft.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yes, our kids played well and provided quality depth for us this past season. And they will only improve from here.

And then they showed what they learned from the core, and sucked in the playoffs!

We've got a number of promising prospects to add to the prospects that we've already had graduate. The benefits of good drafting.

We have a couple forwards, most of whom will just replace each other. No defensemen. No goalies. Great drafting!

Treliving put them on the team, and also failed to provide anybody better. Either way, your comments are not only wrong, but directed at the wrong person.

If Tre put them on the team, and you think they played well… that means Tre did a good job?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
the thing is for me is that you can't fill all our holes in one off-season there simply not enough cap to go around and therefore you need to prioritize your cap this season. our biggest needs are a 3c, 2 top 4 Dmen, and a goalie. imo we simply don't have the cap to fill those.

therefore which position if not address is there the biggest potential to have a good season? and that is an easy answer it's goaltending. Woll when Healthy has been great for a rookie goalie, even has played a few playoff games and looked real good in those. I get health but with the lack of cap this season priority should be else where, so I would prioritize the 2 top 4 Dmen and 3c positions and then if I still have cap maybe then make a move to address the goaltending. but I have faith if healthy Woll is a very good goalie.

therefore I would sign 2 vet goalies to league min contracts similar to Martin Jones last year. with the addition to wanting to give Hildeby 4-5 games next year. Woll if Healthy would get 45-50 with the two vets filling in the other 20-30 games.

Using @AFPAnalytics as a reference for contracts. Here's an avenue of acquiring 2 top 4 D (Roy and Demelo), Goaltending (Stolarz) and 3C (Duchene - or put him on the wing and use Holmberg). Would require trading Jarnkrok and waiving Timmins/Reaves.

1718938444848.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad