GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs notebook: Giordano’s NHL future, moving on from Samsonov, Bertuzzi extension talks - Toronto Star

It’s not clear whether the Maple Leafs want Mark Giordano to come back, but it is clear the veteran defenceman intends to play next season.

“Mark has made the decision that he’s playing for a few more years,” said his agent Rich Winter. “He feels very confident. He’s been talking to a lot of people who tell him, don’t quit until they make you.”

Giordano is 40 years old and was the oldest player in the NHL last year, playing on a contract that paid him $800,000 (U.S.). He had three goals and six assists in 46 games last year.

He didn’t play in the playoffs, though he did take a spin in the pre-game warm-ups in Game 6 of the first round at the Scotiabank Arena in what might have been his last appearance in a Leaf jersey.

“He clearly wants to play,” said Winter.

Winter would not reveal the status of any contract talks with the Leafs, who own his bargaining rights until June 30.
Giordano is one of 10 unrestricted free agents that GM Brad Treliving must decide upon, to go along with four unrestricted free agents.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Stolarz and Brossoit are my top two goalie targets

I’m fine with giving Woll some rope. Make it his year to show he can do it and have some vet support.

I’m also a fan of having a laneway for Hildeby too.

But I’m also of the mindset that it’s ok to take a step back in order to take a bigger step forward. And as willing to see how the young goalies can do.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe, but I doubt it at age 30.

Anyway, it would be very on brand for Leafs management to change absolutely nothing structure wise and run out the same team again next season.

Cheap goaltending, a Mitch Marner re-sign and a patchwork d-core and bottom six. Where do I sign?

They will have one major defence addition at a minimum and probably one at forward too is they don't re-sign Bertuzzi/Domi. And a new coach.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Stolarz has been stuck behind two highly paid guys and outperformed them both times. He may be a legitimate starter stuck as a backup due to circumstances out of his control.

Play as back up and starter, its 2 world completly different.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Play as back up and starter, its 2 world completly different.

My point is that he hasn't had the opportunity to prove himself as a starter. If a team bets on him, it could pay off. I would offer him a 3 or 4 year deal at $3M.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I’m fine with giving Woll some rope. Make it his year to show he can do it and have some vet support.

But I’m also of the mindset that it’s ok to take a step back in order to take a bigger step forward. And as willing to see how the young goalies can do.

They seem the top of the UFA class in terms of goaltenders that can fit into a good affordable tandem. I also think Driedger would be a sneaky good get as well.

I agree about Hildeby having a chance to play games.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Getting flashbacks of Nick Ritchie and Petr Mrazek signings this offseason
Why? Did we let Dubas back in?

This stands to be one of the most interesting or disappointing offseason’s that I can remember.

What does/doesn’t happen will have a direct impact on my degree of give-a-crap when the season starts in a way that it never has before.

I trust Treliving more than Dubas when building our team. What scares me with Treliving is swinging the pendulum too far to a big/heavy team and leaning too far in to his old Calgary Flames roots.

I do trust him much more to improve our defence and goaltending.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
WE DONT HAVE THE ASSETS TO DO THAT

It's like saying I want to drive faster so I need a Ferrari, but you don't have the 250K lying around to buy one
We do, it's a question of whether it's wise to. They're going to use some assets on our needs.

A goalie is a need. Unfortunately we have a number of other needs too.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We do, it's a question of whether it's wise to. They're going to use some assets on our needs.

A goalie is a need. Unfortunately we have a number of other needs too

We can't afford it, our prospect pool is thin and we have one pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds for the next two seasons

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Agreed, Woll has put in his time and Hildy isn’t far off.
I’ll add Chris Driedger to the goalie shopping list.
He’s at almost 50 games this year and doing just fine: .917sv% NHL, 917 in the A.
Edit to add: just read @SprDaVE post suggesting the same guy. Good eyes.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, our infusion of talent from the replenished prospect pool yielded us a grand total of 2 goals and 3 points in the playoffs.
And as we all know, those are the only players that will ever exist from that time, they vanish into thin air after this offseason, and they are defined by #pointz in 7 games of their rookie years. But hey, if you don't want to "play the kids", talk to Mess.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Do we go after Driedger and Knight? Get some of the FLA goalies who took Bob's job?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Blackwood on SJ is another I'd be looking at.

Could've had him last year for peanuts.

If the Leafs go crazy and go after Ferraro, or some sort of hockey trade, Blackwell as a dump could work. But he's been struggling badly for awhile so it would be a plan C kind of thing to me.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think Knight replaces Bob soon. I could see Bob retiring/LTIR soon.
Can they ride it out another season with a 4.5M backup (at best)? They'll be wanting to repeat or return and still need to sign Reinhardt and half their D.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can they ride it out another season with a 4.5M backup (at best)? They'll be wanting to repeat or return and still need to sign Reinhardt and half their D.

It'll be interesting what happens there for sure. I don't think there's any chance Reinhart stays but we'll see.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Goalies can be funny. Greatest goalie of all time broke out at 29. Tim Thomas broke out in his mid 30's. Sometimes it's about the opportunity.
No one knows exactly how old the great Johnny Bower was when he “broke out”, but it’s safe to say he was no spring chicken………

Getting flashbacks of Nick Ritchie and Petr Mrazek signings this offseason
Tre’s going to have to be very careful, I hope he can find a couple of diamonds in the rough like he did with Benoit……….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad