GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You’d be pretty naive to think a contract negotiation, potential signing or trade isn’t also workshopped to the public via “insider reporting” to gauge and shape public sentiment from both the organization side or the player agent side. Why divulge information otherwise?

Awfully close .. Not signing or trade but rather signing & trade :wg:

Leafs would get the greatest return in trade if Marner were under contract extension and have term beyond this year.

This is what I suggested early is Leafs GM BT best move, with the qualifier you get Marner off a full NMC to a limited NTC (10 team no no fly list) which then allows the team control to shop him..

With the Leafs being a rich team you could even use salary retention as a tool in the toolbox to pick up a small portion of his deal say $2 mil or less per year making his next contract more palatable to more teams on a lower salary and AAV to them which can be built into the return portion.

Exploring all options and all options of the table.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And then they showed what they learned from the core, and sucked in the playoffs!
Not piling up points in lesser roles in a low-scoring playoff series in their rookie years =/= "sucking".
We have a couple forwards, most of whom will just replace each other. No defensemen. No goalies.
Wrong on all three. You should do a little more research on our prospects.
If Tre put them on the team, and you think they played well… that means Tre did a good job?
He failed to surround them properly, but at least he didn't screw up utilizing the internal depth he was handed.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Saw on Twitter that the Leafs may be interested in Erik Gubrandson. CBJ is trying to clear cap and he may be someone they trade.

Treliving had Gubrandson in Calgary. It fits the Pagnotta report of the Leafs trying to add big and physical defenseman. He would be our Edmundson replacement i assume

Gubrandson with retention?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Matt Duchene is unquestionably not signing in Toronto.
Ok then Domi? My point was more multiple holes on the team could be filled with the cap space they have.
Roslovic
Saw on Twitter that the Leafs may be interested in Erik Gubrandson. CBJ is trying to clear cap and he may be someone they trade.

Treliving had Gubrandson in Calgary. It fits the Pagnotta report of the Leafs trying to add big and physical defenseman. He would be our Edmundson replacement i assume

I ******* hope not, we've got guys who Like being physical we need puck moving

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That's kind of the point. Spend the money on the blue line first, evaluate some of young talent between the pipes and upgrade next year if needed.

With Tavares coming off the books next year there's an opportunity, should the need arise, to chase after an established #1G next off-season. Saros will be a UFA and it's unlikely Nashville will re-sign with Askarov ready to step in. Ullmark is also a UFA but since we're on his NTL I doubt he'd want to sign here.

Most intriguing of all though, as unlikely as it may be, is Shesterkin, who is slated to be a UFA next off-season. Now if he re-signs this July 1st when he can then it's a moot point. But If we go down this road though, his camp is angling for a $12 million dollar deal. Another 8 figure deal would be hard to work around, regardless of Mitch staying or going. At least this time it'd be in a different position besides forward, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better goalie in the league. There's lots of talk of being weary of signing a goalie to big money, but at this point the Leafs need to find a stable starting goalie. No more Jack Campbells or Ilya Samsonovs or Matt Murrays.

Should Woll prove to be incapable of staying healthy next season, we could fix our goaltending woes in free agency. I hope it doesn't come to that though and Brick Woll proves he's not made of glass and is capable of backstopping this team to the promised land.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

It would have to be double 50% for very little return. Probably not worth it for Columbus to move him at that point.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Read em and weep I guess. Also P.S. f*** Shanahan that pos

GQjhxLJW0AAa7d1

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

I wouldn't hate it for the Leafs if the price isn't to much to acquire, especially seeing what some of these UFA D might get.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Read em and weep I guess. Also P.S. f*** Shanahan that pos

GQjhxLJW0AAa7d1

Welll yes?
He will be 30 right?
That was the whole point of Matthews contracts
You think Drai is going to take a contract to 34 instead of 38? That would be a dream scenario

19-21 elc
22-26 first contract at 14%
27-30 second contract at 15%

He ultimately signed for 9years at 12.3 which is about fair for hart Pearson rocket x3 and selke/pearson finalist.

to set him up for an 8 year deal last pay day.
If Matthews wants to sign for 5 years again you tat that and run.

Let’s see what Leon takes. It would weirdly be highly instructive for Mitch on an 8 year deal.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Awfully close .. Not signing or trade but rather signing & trade :wg:

Leafs would get the greatest return in trade if Marner were under contract extension and have term beyond this year.

This is what I suggested early is Leafs GM BT best move, with the qualifier you get Marner off a full NMC to a limited NTC (10 team no no fly list) which then allows the team control to shop him..

With the Leafs being a rich team you could even use salary retention as a tool in the toolbox to pick up a small portion of his deal say $2 mil or less per year making his next contract more palatable to more teams on a lower salary and AAV to them which can be built into the return portion.

Exploring all options and all options of the table.
Retaining salary for 7-8 years?

Reactions: Menzinger

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
'No Indication Yet As To Their Plans': Ilya Samsonov Likely Heading to Free Agency as Maple Leafs' Actions Speak Louder Than Words - The Hockey News

All of the signs are there.

The Toronto Maple Leafs were reportedly one of the teams trying to land Jacob Markstrom. But the goaltender was traded to the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday.

With all the other names in goal being floated out there (Laurent Brossoit, Anthony Stolarz, etc..) there hasn't been a word on Toronto's current goaltender and pending free agent Ilya Samsonov. The Russian netminder has been presumed not to be in the Maple Leafs' plans just based on reports, but the club hasn't told the player if he should be prepared to test the market when he becomes a free agent on July 1 or if there is any chance at a return.

"No indication yet as to their plans," a source close to Samsonov told The Hockey News on Thursday.

The silence from the Maple Leafs, combined with all the noise of the club's interest to acquire another goaltender signals that a change is likely coming between the pipes.
Although Joseph Woll has long been seen as the future in Toronto, injuries have limited the goaltender to 36 regular season games over three seasons.

Samsonov, in his two seasons with the Maple Leafs, played 82 games while posting a .905 save percentage. He helped backstop the Leafs to their only playoff-round victory in 20 years after a six-game series defeat of the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2023.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
'No Indication Yet As To Their Plans': Ilya Samsonov Likely Heading to Free Agency as Maple Leafs' Actions Speak Louder Than Words - The Hockey News

All of the signs are there.

The Toronto Maple Leafs were reportedly one of the teams trying to land Jacob Markstrom. But the goaltender was traded to the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday.

With all the other names in goal being floated out there (Laurent Brossoit, Anthony Stolarz, etc..) there hasn't been a word on Toronto's current goaltender and pending free agent Ilya Samsonov. The Russian netminder has been presumed not to be in the Maple Leafs' plans just based on reports, but the club hasn't told the player if he should be prepared to test the market when he becomes a free agent on July 1 or if there is any chance at a return.

"No indication yet as to their plans," a source close to Samsonov told The Hockey News on Thursday.

The silence from the Maple Leafs, combined with all the noise of the club's interest to acquire another goaltender signals that a change is likely coming between the pipes.
Although Joseph Woll has long been seen as the future in Toronto, injuries have limited the goaltender to 36 regular season games over three seasons.

Samsonov, in his two seasons with the Maple Leafs, played 82 games while posting a .905 save percentage. He helped backstop the Leafs to their only playoff-round victory in 20 years after a six-game series defeat of the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2023.

Where is he going to go to get an option as a 1?

Maybe Utah? Ottawa? Who needs a goalie really? Columbus? I don’t see an option

Toronto and Washington I think are the only ones without 2 signed right?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Where is he going to go to get an option as a 1?

Maybe Utah? Ottawa? Who needs a goalie really? Columbus? I don’t see an option

Toronto and Washington I think are the only ones without 2 signed right?
This is interesting that 30 teams have two goalies signed already. I guess some of those teams will still be in the market for a third or someone who knows someone on their depth chart down to third.

I have been wondering how supply and demand lines up in the UFA and trade goalie market. It feels like there are a few options out there for 1Bs and backups and based on what you said this might help the Leafs get one of those at a reasonable price.

What teams will we be competing for when it comes to singing Brossoit, Stolarz, Dreidger, Samsonov, Wedgewood and others.

Having said this, there are only a couple on that list that I want. One of the first three should come up at a reasonable price to be our back up playing 30 to 40 games. We should also sign a #3 (Jones, Murray). If he Nedjelkovic deal is any indication we should get a guy for under $3M and have a goalies tandem for around $3.5M and we need that so we can spend elsewhere. We also need Woll to be a healthy 1A.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Not piling up points in lesser roles in a low-scoring playoff series in their rookie years =/= "sucking".

For the guys who bring nothing but offense, it really does.

Wrong on all three. You should do a little more research on our prospects.

Not everyone lives in your delusion that all our prospects are great.

He failed to surround them properly, but at least he didn't screw up utilizing the internal depth he was handed.

Depth guys are supposed to do the surrounding, not the other way around.

Only one of was in a healthy lineup anyway, and that guy was surrounded by Marner and Matthews.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
That's kind of the point. Spend the money on the blue line first, evaluate some of young talent between the pipes and upgrade next year if needed.
Yes, but it's fine and dandy to spend money on the blue line, but you need to get really good players if you're going to go with two goalies with less then 30 games played per season, there is no sheltering them. I'm just not a fan of 1 of the 4 years left with AM34 we are going with wishy washy goaltending.

I don't think spending 6.5m/7m on Montour and 5.25m/5.5m on Zadorov for example would be the best use of spending money on the blueline.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
For the guys who bring nothing but offense, it really does.

Not everyone lives in your delusion that all our prospects are great.

Depth guys are supposed to do the surrounding, not the other way around.

Only one of was in a healthy lineup anyway, and that guy was surrounded by Marner and Matthews.

The problem for that poster is literally only ones that are good/great are the ones drafted in the dubas era.

I agree with a lot of what he/she said (as there really was more good than bad) there are 4-5 posters who only are concerned about who the GM was. Not the move itself

This is interesting that 30 teams have two goalies signed already. I guess some of those teams will still be in the market for a third or someone who knows someone on their depth chart down to third.

I have been wondering how supply and demand lines up in the UFA and trade goalie market. It feels like there are a few options out there for 1Bs and backups and based on what you said this might help the Leafs get one of those at a reasonable price.

What teams will we be competing for when it comes to singing Brossoit, Stolarz, Dreidger, Samsonov, Wedgewood and others.

Having said this, there are only a couple on that list that I want. One of the first three should come up at a reasonable price to be our back up playing 30 to 40 games. We should also sign a #3 (Jones, Murray). If he Nedjelkovic deal is any indication we should get a guy for under $3M and have a goalies tandem for around $3.5M and we need that so we can spend elsewhere. We also need Woll to be a healthy 1A.

I looked quickly and it looks like only chicago/utah/ottawa/Washington really?

We would have to be the best team out of those to go to.

Reactions: conFABulator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad