GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Wow, literally just saw the Dubois trade. Caps are desperate to squeeze whatever juice is left of Ovechkins career. What an awful trade for them long-term.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dallas is deep, I’ve just followed Dellandrea since OHL days, loved him as a player. Energy guy
San Jose is a good place for him. Given the number of wingers we already have, and the competition for spots, it just didn't make sense for us. In San Jose, he'll get a shot to grow.

Reactions: francis246

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Wow, literally just saw the Dubois trade. Caps are desperate to squeeze whatever juice is left of Ovechkins career. What an awful trade for them long-term.

Caps are headed for a long painful rebuild once Ovi is gone

Dubois doesn’t really hurt them long term IMO unless he completely craters

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
San Jose is a good place for him. Given the number of wingers we already have, and the competition for spots, it just didn't make sense for us. In San Jose, he'll get a shot to grow.

I liked him as a PK option, Dallas was a good team for that, he's one guy but we kinda lack PK guys.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Caps are headed for a long painful rebuild once Ovi is gone

Dubois doesn’t really hurt them long term IMO unless he completely craters

They are but I also think with this kind of move it could work wonders to offset the rebuild pains. Dubois is still much better than he showed in LA. They have a good young coach and some good options to retool on the fly. They have Miro, Hendrix and Leonard as very good prospects very close to NHL ready.

Caps were able to dump Kuznetsov and replace him with Dubois. I'd call that pretty great for them, unless of course Dubois continues his downwards spiral but I don't think he will.

They'll need to really work hard in reworking their D and find a goaltender.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They are but I also think with this kind of move it could work wonders to offset the rebuild pains. Dubois is still much better than he showed in LA. They have a good young coach and some good options to retool on the fly.

Caps were able to dump Kuznetsov and replace him with Dubois. I'd call that pretty great for them, unless of course Dubois continues his downwards spiral but I don't think he will.

They'll need to really work hard in reworking their D and find a goaltender.

I think Lindgren was better than Kuemper anyway but they'll definitely need another goalie.

They have 7D but they're not a good 7 D

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Lindgren was better than Kuemper anyway but they'll definitely need another goalie.

They have 7D but they're not a good 7 D

Their D is very weak after Carlson. Sandin is solid but we know his issues. After that, it's a rough defensive core. But one or two signings, it could look pretty solid.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Works out to Vilardi + Iafallo + Kupari + 2nd for 1 year of Dubois at 8.5M followed by 3 years of Kuemper at 5.25M (but playing as a ~1M-2.5M goalie the last two years).

Looking back on what LA gave up for PLD, it's not much beyond Vilardi, and even he can't stay healthy with lingering back issues

And now PLD is going for a guy who lost the starter's job and hasn't been great lately.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Their D is very weak after Carlson. Sandin is solid but we know his issues. After that, it's a rough defensive core. But one or two signings, it could look pretty solid.

Carlson is naturally regressing with age but realistically their D should look something like this

X-X
Ferhavey-Carlson
Sandin-TVR

Jensen and Alexeyev are still there but that basically puts everyone out of their proper slotting.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Dubois has got to be the most overrated player of this generation. He killed the Leafs in that one series and has been misrepresented as a #1C since.
Gotta say I agree. He looked so great that series, but in hindsight that was before we truly realized how easy it is to beat the Leafs in the playoffs with this core

Kings were in the market for a #1G so they must think/hope so. I doubt the plan is for Kuemper to be their backup, even though they were keen on dumping Dubois.
Kuemper at the very least is better than Talbot and Rittich.

I unironically hope Campbell is bought out and brought in to be Keumper's backup. Both goalie were at their best in LA. And funny enough were a tandem for a bit when Quick was hurt

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
It could be a very good trade for Washington long term though. If PLD can play at the level that he has show where he can be very good the they'll have a few good young players soon. Cristall, PLD, Mirochenko, Lappiere, McMichael are the ones I remember off the top of my head. I'm sure they leave this draft with Jiricek or Solberg as well. Carbery somehow coached the current team to the playoffs so I think he could do some good things with all that. Maybe they luck out like the Blackhawks and win the draft lottery after Ovis last season and win the Gavin McKenna sweepstakes.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
League sources say the Senators have circled back to the Bruins to see if there's a fit to acquire Ullmark to steady the club's struggling net,
and those talks have intensified.
With Jacob Markstrom dealt to Devils, Senators step up efforts to land Boston's Linus Ullmark.
Makes sense. Called it out a few pages ago that Ullmark to the Senators seems like a foregone conclusion now

I think Ullmark is the best goalie out in the trade market tbh. I dont know why the devils didn't take a harder run at Ullmark. I think he's better than Markstrom

I would have preferred for Ullmark to leave the division

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Makes sense. Called it out a few pages ago that Ullmark to the Senators seems like a foregone conclusion now

I think Ullmark is the best goalie out in the trade market tbh. I dont know why the devils didn't take a harder run at Ullmark. I think he's better than Markstrom

Yea I agree Ullmark is the best available. Carolina could be an option too with Freddy traded elsewhere. Detroit should be looking for a goalie too. Philly maybe.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Ulmark played in front a better defensive team to protect him and got better stats but Markstrom is a better goalie.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Every goalie seems to post great numbers in Boston. Watching Ullmark and Swayman in the playoffs though, the former seemed very inferior.

I bet Ullmark gets lit up in Ottawa.

Reactions: Brobust

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

thats assuming Ullmark wants to go to Ottawa he rejected a trade to LA last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad