GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Man, I hope the Bruins don't get Chabot for Ulmark. On the right team, the kid's in the Norris convo.

I wouldn't trade for him, that contract is pretty rich for what he's offering

Gonna disagree with you there - that contract takes him through his early prime years, he can log 25mpg, and on a better team imo he's a 60-70 point guy easy.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
If you can sign either of these players for a 5yrs x 5 million aav contract, who would you choose?

Bertuzzi
Or
Mantha

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Is it weird that the more I think about it, the more I think it’s a win-win deal for both teams? Given the status of their rosters and the risks associated with each player, of course

Win-win, or maybe lose-lose.

Doubt it ends up lopsided either way.

Fun to see some good old fashioned 1 v 1 deals like this though

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Man, I hope the Bruins don't get Chabot for Ulmark. On the right team, the kid's in the Norris convo.

Gonna disagree with you there - that contract takes him through his early prime years, he can log 25mpg, and on a better team imo he's a 60-70 point guy easy.

I just don't see it, he's a good player but he's never really grown into that contract like they thought he would

I think he's a 6M player making 8M, not horrible but not worth acquiring

If you can sign either of these players for a 5yrs x 5 million aav contract, who would you choose?

Bertuzzi
Or
Mantha

Neither? Bertuzzi is a candidate to not age gracefully and Manta always leaves me wanting more even though his 5v5 production looks really good

Reactions: BallardEra

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I think Nashville ends up keeping both. Let Askarov ripen another at least half season in the AHL, and then slowly take over like the Saros/Rinne transition
I don't think it's very wise to keep Saros beyond this season if Askarov is the future, he's probably ready to take on 35 to 40 games in the NHL this upcoming season. Feels like it's better to take the assets they'll get from Saros and use them to upgrade their team else where. Signing Saros to a extension in Nashville will block Askraov.

Judging by the return for a 35 lesser Markstrom which was a 1st and a 3rd pairing d-man, I'd figure Saros would catch better.

Reactions: Kurtz

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not really. Chris Johnston was on radio last week saying the Leafs priority is to add two top 4 defenseman to the team. Via Free agency and trade. Thats their number 1 goal

Next week it's going to be trading Cowan for a keeper.
Week after that Grebyonkin to Capitals for a 3rd. rounder.
Weak after that McCabe, 1st., Knies to Washington for Wilson.
Weakest after that marner to Senators for Thomas Chabot and Mark Kastelic.
Dead after that ...

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Bertuzzi
Or
Mantha
Neither, but I would be interested in a prove it year for Mantha on the leafs, 1 year 2.5m is a risk they can take, he can regain his form playing with top line players, or turn into a checking forward on the 3rd line with his frame.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I see no benefit to the team to trade a young NHL defenseman with less than 300 games played for a 2nd. round pick.

Odds are Liljegren gets better and the pick busts.

And RHD to boot for a team that doesn't have many quality ones.

A 2nd round pick doesn't move the needle unless he's asking for the moon on his next deal and no other team offers more.

I think they'll wait for contract negotiations until they find out if they can replace him in free agency. Ultimately it's going to be Liligren at probably 2-2.5m vs. free agency - what gives more bang for your buck.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I doubt it, it isn't like he was good before that.

It is 2 cap dumps IMO, it is just crazy how far PLD has fallen off.

I think LA wins the trade just by term/cap hit.

Washington is letting Ovi chase the record, so I am not sure it is a big negative for them.

Maybe Kuemper can bounce back a little in front of a better team though.

Dubois is only $8.5mm
It isn't like he's going to be re-signing at 12.5mm anytime soon.
He's had a few good seasons, but just good.
Interesting career to track.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And RHD to boot for a team that doesn't have many quality ones.

A 2nd round pick doesn't move the needle unless he's asking for the moon on his next deal and no other team offers more.

I think they'll wait for contract negotiations until they find out if they can replace him in free agency. Ultimately it's going to be Liligren at probably 2-2.5m vs. free agency - what gives more bang for your buck.

Only 1.5mm to retain him, so perhaps a multi-year deal at a reasonable rate.

Reactions: LeafSteel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder what will be Trelivings first off-season trade since he didn't make one last off-season either. Sounds like a lot of teams are getting heated up.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I wouldn’t mind Chychrun as the 2LD. If he becomes what he was in Arizona again that would be a great add.

2024 1st + Liljegren as the starting point could make some sense as they are looking for a RHD.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I wonder what will be Trelivings first off-season trade since he didn't make one last off-season either. Sounds like a lot of teams are getting heated up.

Not to be insulting to the Leafs, but I only see about 4-5 assets that would interest me.
Knies, Cowan, Liljegren, Minten - okay
Holmberg, Grebyonkin, Robertson - speculative acquisition

Reactions: JKG33

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn’t mind Chychrun as the 2LD. If he becomes what he was in Arizona again that would be a great add.

2024 1st + Liljegren as the starting point could make some sense as they are looking for a RHD.

We're also looking for a RHD... badly. More than one, actually.

Adding another high priced LHD acquisition doesn't make much sense, especially one that is 1 year away from UFA and a big extension probably.

Reactions: LeafSteel and Kiwi

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

We're just a weird team that's hard to make trades with. We have no players with a caphit between 2.5M-7.4M, and we have limited picks/prospects of any real value.

So there's the super-hard-to-pull-off 7.5M+ trade of a core player with a full NMC. Or there's us trying to move scraps like Kampf, Jarnkrok, etc. Maybe we could trade picks/prospects for a player (eg the Markstrom trade), but we don't actually have a ton of capspace when you start trying to fill out the roster.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
We're also looking for a RHD... badly.

Adding another high priced LHD acquisition doesn't make much sense.

The goal would be to sign two of Roy/Pesce/Tanev/Walker but if they can only get one then I don’t mind McCabe on his offside.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Marner for fiala?
As a low end? Not what I would want but
He is locked in at 5 x 7.8.

That would give an extra 3-4 million in space

Extended Marner for byfield be a dream. But unlikely.

Brandt Clarke. Moore and a prospect/first?

I still think I like Dobson the best out of the options I have thought of.

Or Mctavish and Gibson?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We're just a weird team that's hard to make trades with. We have no players with a caphit between 2.5M-7.4M, and we have limited picks/prospects of any real value.

So there's the super-hard-to-pull-off 7.5M+ trade of a core player with a full NMC. Or there's us trying to move scraps like Kampf, Jarnkrok, etc. Maybe we could trade picks/prospects for a player (eg the Markstrom trade), but we don't actually have a ton of capspace when you start trying to fill out the roster.

I don't think it's that hard or complicated. They need to make changes and there are plenty of ways of doing that. They've also put themselves in this situation. But it may take time to find make something work, but there's not that much time to figure out.

Treliving needs to get to work. If he can't figure it out, he's not the right guy for the job clearly.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dubois is only $8.5mm
It isn't like he's going to be re-signing at 12.5mm anytime soon.
He's had a few good seasons, but just good.
Interesting career to track.

I don't think PLD is a natural center

I think he's a power forward who should be on the wing Using his body to create havoc down low and in front of the net, I always liked him better on the wing in the Q

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

The only thing I trade that 1st for is in a package for a top 6C or a top 4 RD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad