GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yea I agree Ullmark is the best available. Carolina could be an option too with Freddy traded elsewhere. Detroit should be looking for a goalie too. Philly maybe.
Saros could be available but he may be resigned, in which case Askarov could be available in a deal for Marner.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I still think Marner to Washington is the best fit without an extension in place, he can farm up his PP assists off Ovi and they can flip him at 50% at the deadline or resign him if they’re committed to this ill-advised retool. Wilson, Protas, and Jensen plugs some holes for us with Berube-style players. Maybe include Liljegren to pair with Sandin for a pick and retention on Jensen.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Saros could be available but he may be resigned, in which case Askarov could be available in a deal for Marner.
With all these deals for goalies you’d think it just dawned on the GM’s that solid goaltending wins cups, go figure……..

I still think Marner to Washington is the best fit without an extension in place, he can farm up his PP assists off Ovi and they can flip him at 50% at the deadline or resign him if they’re committed to this ill-advised retool. Wilson, Protas, and Jensen plugs some holes for us with Berube-style players.
If Marner waives to be traded his NMC follows him to his new team doesn’t it?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think Nashville ends up keeping both. Let Askarov ripen another at least half season in the AHL, and then slowly take over like the Saros/Rinne transition

I think that part is negotiated when the player agrees to waive the NMC

Reactions: ToneDog

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
With all these deals for goalies you’d think it just dawned on the GM’s that solid goaltending wins cups, go figure……..

Yeah but the amount of contenders he’d be willing to re-sign with that could fit him in will be higher if they’re getting him at 2.5-5mil prorated with single or double retention. It’s a decent spot for him on a flip, they have the pieces to feed him points and they have a need for a guy that can play 20mins ES + every powerplay minute they get. If his main concern is his next contract this is the best of both worlds where he can put up a good offensive season and get to pick his destination in March.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I still think Marner to Washington is the best fit without an extension in place, he can farm up his PP assists off Ovi and they can flip him at 50% at the deadline or resign him if they’re committed to this ill-advised retool. Wilson, Protas, and Jensen plugs some holes for us with Berube-style players. Maybe include Liljegren to pair with Sandin for a pick and retention on Jensen.
If the Leafs got Wilson in a Marner trade that'd be such a huge win, but I doubt they move him

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah but the amount of contenders he’d be willing to re-sign with that could fit him in will be higher if they’re getting him at 2.5-5mil prorated with single or double retention. It’s a decent spot for him on a flip, they have the pieces to feed him points and they have a need for a guy that can play 20mins ES + every powerplay minute they get. If his main concern is his next contract this is the best of both worlds where he can put up a good offensive season and get to pick his destination in March.
Interesting, wonder if Ferris would agree………

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
W
Washington isn’t trading Tom Wilson who they signed to long term contract or Sandin . They were given an extension for a reason

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If the Leafs got Wilson in a Marner trade that'd be such a huge win, but I doubt they move him
As much as I love Tom Wilson’s game, those type of players don’t age well, if that happened though it would be a clear indication that the team’s culture is about to be reincarnated……….

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
W

Washington isn’t trading Tom Wilson who they signed to long term contract or Sandin . They were given an extension for a reason

I mean they just picked up a guy that was signed long term last year. Also I meant including Liljegren from our end so they get a longterm piece on D if Marner is just a short term flip for them. Wilson is gonna be in his mid-30s with a lot of miles on him by the time they retool, his value is probably at its highest right now, every injury and underwhelming season going forward brings him closer to Anderson territory.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I mean they just picked up a guy that was signed long term last year. Also I meant including Liljegren from our end so they get a longterm piece on D if Marner is just a short term flip for them. Wilson is gonna be in his mid-30s with a lot of miles on him by the time they retool, his value is probably at its highest right now, every injury and underwhelming season going forward brings him closer to Anderson territory.
Plus sooner or later the league is going to have to drop the hammer on him suspension wise, poor Tom’s living on borrowed time, but what a warrior……….

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Who do you believe helped their team more in this years playoffs Mitch Marner or Barclay Goodrow?

They both finished 6th in playoff scoring for their respective teams Marner with 1 goal and 3 points in round #1 loss and Goodrow 6 goals and 8 points in round #3 loss.

View attachment 884370
vs.

View attachment 884372

Goodrow finished 5th on NYR with 41 hits and 29 blocked shots vs Marner who finished 18th on the Leafs in these same stats.

View attachment 884368

Goodrow only makes $3.64 mil AAV vs Marner's $10.9, leaving NYR with an additional +$7.26 mil additional cap space.

So NYR can dress Barcaly Goodrow ($3.64 mil) + Leading scorer Vinny Trochek ($5,625,000) << Mitch Marner
or
NYR can dress Barclay Goodrow ($3.64 mil) & Alexis Lafrenière ($2,325,000) & #1G Igor Shesterkin (5.66 mil) for $11.5 mil compared to Marner @ $10.9 mil.
or
You pick how you want to use that extra +$7.26 mil cap space & Goodrow?

This demonstrates Why NYR were a final 4 Cup contender and why our Leafs are 1st round pretenders because only a diehard Leafs fan would prefer Marner in the playoffs to another team that can dress quality & quantity of playoff performers.

PS. Remember Leafs put their playoff starting goalie Samsonov on waivers during the season with NO takers and thought he could lead them to a Stanley Cup. :wg:

I like how this whole post was about using the cap more efficiently yet somehow Goodrow is a good cap hit lol. guy had like 16 points in 81 playoff games before this season, real good playoff performer and 12 in 80 in the regular season this year and your going to say 3.6 is value?

edit: playoff stats 50(11 goals) points in 57 games vs 24(12 goals)points in 96 games

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Plus sooner or later the league is going to have to drop the hammer on him suspension wise, poor Tom’s living on borrowed time, but what a warrior……….

I don’t really care if he has to tone down his game a bit, he can skate, create space up front, he can shoot, and he’s a strong PKer. Wilson with a JVR level of aggression is still a solid top-6 forward that actually does the job people pretend Bertuzzi did. If he can find the sweet spot of being intimidating but not getting in too much trouble that’s just icing on the cake.

Plus imo the moneyball piece here is Protas, he’s signed long term fairly cheap, he’s giant, mean, skates well and not just for a big man, good hands and good shot, has made a handful of eye popping passes. If Berube can develop him and he cleans up his faceoffs, he might be a Tavares upgrade the year his contract is up.

Reactions: JKG33

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don’t really care if he has to tone down his game a bit, he can skate, create space up front, he can shoot, and he’s a strong PKer. Wilson with a JVR level of aggression is still a solid top-6 forward that actually does the job people pretend Bertuzzi did. If he can find the sweet spot of being intimidating but not getting in too much trouble that’s just icing on the cake.

Plus imo the moneyball piece here is Protas, he’s signed long term fairly cheap, he’s giant, mean, skates well and not just for a big man, good hands and good shot, has made a handful of eye popping passes. If Berube can develop him and he cleans up his faceoffs, he might be a Tavares upgrade the year his contract is up.
High risk, high reward……..

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
They aren’t trading a dude beloved by Ovie & the team! He’s not getting traded as long as Ovie is there. They literally also just gave Rasmus an extension and aren’t trading these pieces for free agent to be. They are still trying to win also

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They aren’t trading a dude beloved by Ovie & the team! He’s not getting traded as long as Ovie is there. They literally also just gave Rasmus an extension and aren’t trading these pieces for free agent to be. They are still trying to win also

I don’t want Sandin, they might want Liljegren to pair with Sandin considering they’re good friends and have chemistry together. Ovi has 1-2 years max left in the tank, trading Wilson in 2 years might cost assets to dump him and get them stuck in a 5+ year 8-12th overall pick purgatory.

Ovi, Carlson, Oshie are all falling apart at light speed, keeping a high mileage physical winger like Wilson around with a bunch of 20-some year olds and Dubois isn’t a recipe for competing.

Reactions: Al14

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
I don’t want Sandin, they might want Liljegren to pair with Sandin considering they’re good friends and have chemistry together. Ovi has 1-2 years max left in the tank, trading Wilson in 2 years might cost assets to dump him and get them stuck in a 5+ year 8-12th overall pick purgatory.
Every move they make or don’t make is all about Ovie and nothing else! So they aren’t moving pieces or players close to him

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Every move they make or don’t make is all about Ovie and nothing else! So they aren’t moving pieces or players close to him

He has 60 goals left to go, Marner probably gets him half way there by March. Based on how he looked in the playoffs I don’t think a Lapierre-Strome-???-Ovi-Carlson unit gets him to 30. If the moves are made around Ovi I would assume it’s about the goals record and not hanging out with his buddies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Leafs have some pretty tight lips, no real news for a while. I don't believe a word coming from Dredger and Seravaille appears to be making things up or guessing.

If anything. The PLD trade makes it more likely he goes to LA.

They have tons of space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad