GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It made sense to try and bring Edmundson back. The fact that he wants to test the market means he probably won't be back.

The focus should be on Bertuzzi and Domi extensions and a Marner trade.
I didn't see the fit with Edmundson. Assuming he wants 3M which is what's being reported. The Leafs already have enough NHL quality LD - that money is better spent at RD.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I didn't see the fit with Edmundson. Assuming he wants 3M which is what's being reported. The Leafs already have enough NHL quality LD - that money is better spent at RD.
If he were a RD I'd bring him back in a nanosecond. Since he's not I'm hesitant. Not saying no, but unsure. We need guys like him.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’d actually be really happy with a 6’5 Kerfoot. Not sure what the hate was all about him, he gave 110% every shift he was out there. I always thought he was your ideal third liner. At 3.5 he’s a little overpaid sure, at 2.5 I would take him anyday.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It made sense to try and bring Edmundson back. The fact that he wants to test the market means he probably won't be back.

The focus should be on Bertuzzi and Domi extensions and a Marner trade.
I don't get the love affair with Bertuzzi. Give that guy term and within a couple of years this fan base will be screaming for him to be moved.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree that you could read between the lines on those statements but One could very easily say the coaching swap was the bigger change he was alluding to.

They flirted with trading Nylander last summer didnt like the offers and kept him. Could see a similar situation unfold with Mitch just as easily.

We’re long past the flirting stage when it comes to making substantive changes, but I could see management erroneously making the calculation to stand pat, own rental Marner and checking out free agency in 2025 when Rantanen and Draisaitl are also up if the sole intent is to replace expensive star power that works…

But it really comes down to how confident management feels. Are they looking at this like a step towards their goals or unravelling of the whole era. A Marner trade is basically a Rorschach Test whether the Marner trade is the McGriff and Fernandez for Alomar and Carter, DeRozan for Kawhi. Or if it’s Imlach dealing McDonald and Sittler for pure garbage.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You really hate power forwards don’t you……
I'm not sure he would classify as a power forward. He has 1 NHL fight where he got filled in by Jack Johnson. His hits/60 at 5v5 would be right between Jarnkrok and Bertuzzi.

We'll be calling him the 6'5 Alexander Kerfoot when he's on a 35 point pace half way through next season.
I view him more along the line of a Kevin Hayes than a Kerfoot.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I don't get the love affair with Bertuzzi. Give that guy term and within a couple of years this fan base will be screaming for him to be moved.
To be fair: every fan base he has played for has absolutely loved him prior to the Leafs. As a Michigan resident I can say confidently that he is beloved in Detroit. Bruins fans loved him in his small stint. Leafs fans seem split.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Unfortunately, any Marner trade doesn't happen till after July 1st when his bonus is paid. Hopefully Treliving figures out the Bertuzzi and Domi situations by then. If we do manage to sign both of them, to me that signals Marner is getting traded. Treliving really needs to hit on these extensions if they do happen. If we could somehow extend both for less then 9 million combined, that would be some great work. Let's just hope that if Marner is traded. It's just after July 1st because we're going to need all the clarity we can regarding our cap situation going into free agency, especially with the amount of defencemen available

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
To be fair: every fan base he has played for has absolutely loved him prior to the Leafs. As a Michigan resident I can say confidently that he is beloved in Detroit. Bruins fans loved him in his small stint. Leafs fans seem split.

I think most people like him here too, just that spending $5m on a winger when that's our deepest position by far, and we've already got a guy who we can put in his stead who'll likely do an even better job in Knies, seems like an odd choice.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Unfortunately, any Marner trade doesn't happen till after July 1st when his bonus is paid. Hopefully Treliving figures out the Bertuzzi and Domi situations by then. If we do manage to sign both of them, to me that signals Marner is getting traded. Treliving really needs to hit on these extensions if they do happen. If we could somehow extend both for less then 9 million combined, that would be some great work. Let's just hope that if Marner is traded. It's just after July 1st because we're going to need all the clarity we can regarding our cap situation going into free agency, especially with the amount of defencemen available
That seems to be a viewpoint, that isn't shared by some of the talking heads... they think it happens before July 1st, and frankly, so do I.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think most people like him here too, just that spending $5m on a winger when that's our deepest position by far, and we've already got a guy who we can put in his stead who'll likely do an even better job in Knies, seems like an odd choice.

He really struggled to produce and have any sort of consistency for at least 3 months of the season. Underlying numbers were solid but he was benched, demoted in the lines and really struggled at points. Mix that with the fact that this team has a lot of wingers... it is a bit weird.

With that said, a lot can happen this off-season so perhaps the plan to shuffle the deck and make changes will lineup with Bertuzzi's extension making a lot of sense. And there's probably a good chance he puts up closer to a career year than having another disappointing season.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Why rent Marner in a so-called transition year? Assuming he's not re-signing because you're talking about all the cap space available in the 2025 off-season.

My mistake. It should be $20-22M with Marner extended, 3 RFAs and McCabe. Enough to make a big addition.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I view it the opposite. I don't think they are deep with top 9 wingers. They have Marner, Nylander, McMann, Knies, Jarnkrok, Robertson right now. I don't think Jarnkrok, Marner, Robertson are coming back. The main reason for trading Marner from my viewpoint is to invest in balancing the roster.

If Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi can tilt the ice at the same rate as any combination of X-Matthews-Marner and Domi/Bertuzzi come in at 9M that saves you at minimum ~2M on the top line (assuming Knies-Matthews-Marner). It also gives you the freedom to play Knies/Nylander L2 and McMann/X or McMann/Jarnkrok L3. That is deeper than the same iteration but Knies/McMann/Robertson as 1-3LW.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
The thought of running this core four back next years creates dread and a pit in my stomach equal to conflict I feel at a workplace. I know the outcome and anticipate an upsetting experience. For some reason, I'm feeling a ton of love for everyone but the core of this team. I just can't respect these guys who break your heart every year where they just narrowly avoid being eliminated quickly to cause doubt.

Amidst that doubt, i have never felt more sure this isn't the right mix. I'm gutted to hear that a core trade may not happen because it's too difficult. My brother, my job is difficult and I'm making a normal wage, surely our management collective making 10s of millions are up for the challenge of sending emails and picking up the phone. Make a move, it's just sports, it's not that serious. Just trade a single player one time

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I view it the opposite. I don't think they are deep with top 9 wingers. They have Marner, Nylander, McMann, Knies, Jarnkrok, Robertson right now. I don't think Jarnkrok, Marner, Robertson are coming back. The main reason for trading Marner from my viewpoint is to invest in balancing the roster.

If Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi can tilt the ice at the same rate as any combination of X-Matthews-Marner and Domi/Bertuzzi come in at 9M that saves you at minimum ~2M on the top line (assuming Knies-Matthews-Marner). It also gives you the freedom to play Knies/Nylander L2 and McMann/X or McMann/Jarnkrok L3. That is deeper than the same iteration but Knies/McMann/Robertson as 1-3LW.

Can you stop focusing so much on Vegas and try for younger guys. I'd agree with you more.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
My mistake. It should be $20-22M with Marner extended, 3 RFAs and McCabe. Enough to make a big addition.
To be fair the roster I proposed would have 72.1M in cap commitments going into 2025 with McCabe extended and the only holes to fill being in net.

Can you stop focusing so much on Vegas and try for younger guys. I'd agree with you more.
I didn't mention Vegas in that post. Regarding my other trade proposals - Vegas in my eyes is the ideal destination for Marner for a few reasons:
  • I can see Marner wanting to play there (which I don't think there will be a lot of teams he agrees to go to)
  • They love acquiring the biggest fish available
  • They will want to make a splash given their early exit
  • They have good NHL players that they can trade to balance cap
  • They can re-sign Marner
  • Assuming Stone is injured again their biggest hole will be on the wing

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
To be fair the roster I proposed would have 72.1M in cap commitments going into 2025 with McCabe extended and the only holes to fill being in net.

I didn't mention Vegas in that post. Regarding my other trade proposals - Vegas in my eyes is the ideal destination for Marner for a few reasons:
  • I can see Marner wanting to play there (which I don't think there will be a lot of teams he agrees to go to)
  • They love acquiring the biggest fish available
  • They will want to make a splash given their early exit
  • They have good NHL players that they can trade to balance cap
  • They can re-sign Marner
  • Assuming Stone is injured again their biggest hole will be on the wing

Right. My team would also be at around $72M, but with an another elite player.

Can we make a splash? Why have we been acting as a feeder team to cup contenders? A tradition you want to continue.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Right. My team would also be at around $72M, but with an another elite player.

Can we make a splash? Why have we been acting as a feeder team to cup contenders? A tradition you want to continue.
You proposed a roster that will have significant holes at 2C/1RD/2RD/1G/3 with only 20M to spend. Keeping Marner just continues the same issues the Leafs have had where they can't build a balanced roster.

We basically proposed the same roster except mine had Montour, Tanev, Roy, Tomasino, Korczak, Joshua going into 2025 and yours had Marner, Chatfield.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
You proposed a roster that will have significant holes at 2C/1RD/2RD/1G/3 with only 20M to spend. Keeping Marner just continues the same issues the Leafs have had where they can't build a balanced roster.

We basically proposed the same roster except mine had Montour, Tanev, Roy, Tomasino, Korczak going into 2025 and yours had Marner.

I like Chatfield as a Rielly partner and think he's someone that can grow into a more prominent role. So, while I don't think of him as 1RD, he's good enough to play with Rielly. Like I said, with the 2RD, there's another $1.5M there to get someone else if you desire. I don't hate the idea of Hakanpaa in the spot though. My scenario would allow the team to address either 2C or RD with a big contract or spend equally. I'm also never going to like the idea of spending on a goalie so Woll and a rotation of backups is fine.

You spent on a 30 year old and a 34 year old injury risk. And congratulations, you added a middle 6 centre and bunch of middling prospects too. All we had to do is sell the team's 2nd best player for pennies.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I like Chatfield as a Rielly partner and think he's someone that can grow into a more prominent role. So, while I don't think of him as 1RD, he's good enough to play with Rielly. Like I said, with the 2RD, there's another $1.5M there to get someone else if you desire. I don't hate the idea of Hakanpaa in the spot though. My scenario would allow the team to address either 2C or RD with a big contract or spend equally. I'm also never going to like the idea of spending on a goalie so Woll and a rotation of backups is fine.

You spent on a 30 year old and a 34 year old injury risk. And congratulations, you added a middle 6 centre and bunch of middling prospects too. All we had to do is sell the team's 2nd best player for pennies.
Tanev at 5Mx2 is a risk I'll take all day long. Similarly I'll take Montour at 7.5M. The Leafs need a 2nd offensive option from the back end and Montour has been the 1D for the Panthers on back to back finals runs. I will absolutely hear the argument that Forsling is better but Montour has been #1 in TOI for the Panthers in the past 2 regular seasons and playoffs. He played 8 minutes more per game than Chatfield this season.

You bring up Tanev being injury prone yet Hakanpaa didn't play a single playoff game this year due to injuries and Tanev was awesome for Dallas in the playoffs. He got injured halfway through round 3 but the Leafs don't need to worry about playing that long into the post season.

As far as the rest of the pieces I'd take Joshua/Roy/Tomasino in the middle of the Leafs lineup and Korczak as potential Tanev replacement in 2026-27 with the same money to spend on 2C/1G in 2025.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
His offensive numbers keep decreasing despite playing with increasingly better players since leaving Detroit. This year, his one goal in 7 playoff games was basically a fluke. I get that people think that he is "snotty" (even though he really doesn't add much in that regard), but you can't pay $5 million over term for a guy who doesn't produce much offensively. The last 10 games of the regular season, where he spent most of his time on the top line, he scored 6 points. That just isn't good enough.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
His offensive numbers keep decreasing despite playing with increasingly better players since leaving Detroit. This year, his one goal in 7 playoff games was basically a fluke. I get that people think that he is "snotty" (even though he really doesn't add much in that regard), but you can't pay $5 million over term for a guy who doesn't produce much offensively. The last 10 games of the regular season, where he spent most of his time on the top line, he scored 6 points. That just isn't good enough.
He produced at a 40 goal/65 point pace over 18 games alongside Matthews/Domi. That is the production that I dream on. If he can produce at 75% of that rate over a full season (30G/20A) does that make him at 5M winger? I'd say yes.

He was also directly responsible for the Leafs only goal in game 7.

Reactions: LeafSteel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Tanev at 5Mx2 is a risk I'll take all day long. Similarly I'll take Montour at 7.5M. The Leafs need a 2nd offensive option from the back end and Montour has been the 1D for the Panthers on back to back finals runs. I will absolutely hear the argument that Forsling is better but Montour has been #1 in TOI for the Panthers in the past 2 regular seasons and playoffs. He played 8 minutes more per game than Chatfield this season.

You bring up Tanev being injury prone yet Hakanpaa didn't play a single playoff game this year due to injuries and Tanev was awesome for Dallas in the playoffs. He got injured halfway through round 3 but the Leafs don't need to worry about playing that long into the post season.

As far as the rest of the pieces I'd take Joshua/Roy/Tomasino in the middle of the Leafs lineup and Korczak as potential Tanev replacement in 2026-27 with the same money to spend on 2C/1G in 2025.

Tanev and Montour would be a great boost to the defensive pairings to go with Rielly, McCabe, Benoit and Liljegren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad