GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Even if it was on the agenda, I doubt the league and the PA could come up with a formula that somehow evens out the cap to cover all 32 teams.

It's tougher than it sounds, because most places have tax brackets that would change the tax rate on different contracts.

However, the goal isn't necessarily to have each team exactly the same. If they could be broadly equalized, that would be more fair.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Even if it was on the agenda, I doubt the league and the PA could come up with a formula that somehow evens out the cap to cover all 32 teams.
At the end of the day some owners would be forced to pay more for the same product than others which they will never sign off on. Publicly there's no appetite to address this from the board of governors.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Jack Campbell - 897 save % and 3.15 GAA

Ilya Samsonov - 898 save % and 3.13 GAA

Look at our TDL the year we won. We traded for O'Rielly, Acciari, Lafferty and McCabe. Defensive first guys who aren't known for creating offence except O'Rielly. We loaded up to play a way that'd help us win the actual game, not the expected goals for graph.

stats dont tell everything...

For me a goalie who winning a way game 5-0 unstead o 7-2 doesn't matter.

Or a goalie giving 4 goal because his team just completly outplayed and played the entire game in his own zone, its not the same thing than a goalie who giving up 4 goal because he just can't make any key save.

and the most important thing. Did your goalie steal you game or not? Campbell never did it in his 2 playoff in Toronto. Samsonov stole gm 3, especially period 3 and OT and he stole gm 6. So whatever what the stats said, yes the difference was Samsonov over Campbell because Samsonov did something Campbell wqs unable. Stoling game and you needed ot from your goalie in playoff

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Dallas was listed as one of the 4 potential Marner suitors by Pagnotta. Hardly a definitive list but the only thing we really have to go on right now. Since Dallas is out lets see the best Stars proposals. Below is mine:

To DAL: Marner (50% retention), Liljegren
To TOR: Stankoven, Jiricek
To CBJ: Bourque, Marner retention, 29OA

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Or a goalie giving 4 goal because his team just completly outplayed and played the entire game in his own zone, its not the same thing than a goalie who giving up 4 goal because he just can't make any key save.

and the most important thing. Did your goalie steal you game or not? Campbell never did it in his 2 playoff in Toronto. Samsonov stole gm 3, especially period 3 and OT and he stole gm 6. So whatever what the stats said, yes the difference was Samsonov over Campbell because Samsonov did something Campbell wqs unable. Stoling game and you needed ot from your goalie in playoff
Really? So with the Leafs up 3-2 late in the 3rd on a PK and Campbell saves a Stamkos one timer doesn't qualify as stealing a win or coming up big to help us win? Or in another game where we're tied late in the 3rd and Campbell comes up big making 2 big saves off a Stamkos tip and then robs Kucherov who was almost in the crease to keep it tied and the Leafs end up winning 4-3 to give us a 3-2 series lead. Does that not count? You are right that stats don't tell everything, because other than 1 game Campbell wasn't that bad. It's just that 1 game was very bad.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Id sign Tanev, I would give him term to bring the AAV down. Front load it and then he will inevitably LTIRetire.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Really? So with the Leafs up 3-2 late in the 3rd on a PK and Campbell saves a Stamkos one timer doesn't qualify as stealing a win or coming up big to help us win? Or in another game where we're tied late in the 3rd and Campbell comes up big making 2 big saves off a Stamkos tip and then robs Kucherov who was almost in the crease to keep it tied and the Leafs end up winning 4-3 to give us a 3-2 series lead. Does that not count? You are right that stats don't tell everything, because other than 1 game Campbell wasn't that bad. It's just that 1 game was very bad.

save stamkos on a one timer when stamkos just missed his shot and shoot it right in middle of the net in the easiest spot for a goalie to make a save ? Campbell was completly beaten, he nust completly missed his shot.

and making 1 or 2 good save is not steal a game

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
save stamkos on a one timer when stamkos just missed his shot and shoot it right in middle of the net in the easiest spot for a goalie to make a save ? Campbell was completly beaten, he nust completly missed his shot.

and making 1 or 2 good save is not steal a game
So a one timer that goes in a lot gets saved and now it's just Stamkos missing his shot?

Also, making 1 or 2 good saves is stealing a game, especially when they are 1 goal games. You should know that since you think Samsonov stole us games. If 1 or 2 saves isn't good enough would 30+ saves qualify then? Sounds like you are making up what qualifies as a goalie stealing a game at this point because idk what Samsonov did that Campbell didn't do. Both let in weak goals and both made big saves at times. Campbell and Samsonov gave us the exact same goaltending and their identical stats show that too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Off-season version 10413212

1717410585699.png

1717410603762.png

1717410619948.png

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So a one timer that goes in a lot gets saved and now it's just Stamkos missing his shot?

Also, making 1 or 2 good saves is stealing a game, especially when they are 1 goal games. You should know that since you think Samsonov stole us games. If 1 or 2 saves isn't good enough would 30+ saves qualify then? Sounds like you are making up what qualifies as a goalie stealing a game at this point because idk what Samsonov did that Campbell didn't do. Both let in weak goals and both made big saves at times. Campbell and Samsonov gave us the exact same goaltending and their identical stats show that too.

???? Sammy won a round? He was great in game 6

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They never pledged to trade anyone. I suspect most folks just heard what they wanted to hear from it.

They may make a big trades they may not. Nothing should be seen as a lock to happen though.
Thanks for pointing that out, they may make trades they may not, with input like that you should be a sports beat writer………

Reactions: ToneDog

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

The most important stat there shows you needed to score 4 goals a game to win with both those goalies in net. Tall task to ask in the playoffs where it gets harder and harder to score.

Anyways, I would try to run Markstrom and Woll as a platoon, 45gp and 37gp give or take.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for pointing that out, they may make trades they may not, with input like that you should be a sports beat writer………

The point was nobody in the front office had stated they intend to break up the core, including during the end of season press conference. There's also been nothing leaked from the media that suggests a major trade is being worked on.

Folks are acting like it's a lock to happen, when it's anything but.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

“I don’t know much about the Leafs, I had dinner with someone that’s pretty intimately involved a few nights ago, so sounds like they’re making some changes this off-season and hopefully that’s the catalyst to hopefully making a run in the playoffs and maybe getting that Stanley Cup.”

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

The point was nobody in the front office had stated they intend to break up the core, including during the end of season press conference. There's also been nothing leaked from the media that suggests a major trade is being worked on.

[/QUOTE]
Shanny did not come out and say it but if you read between the lines he did. Different story if they do not get a good offer. My advice to Mitch is to waive and move on. Leafs nation has had enough of him, and another similar contract negotiation won't do him any good.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

“I don’t know much about the Leafs, I had dinner with someone that’s pretty intimately involved a few nights ago, so sounds like they’re making some changes this off-season and hopefully that’s the catalyst to hopefully that’s the catalyst to making a run in the playoffs and maybe getting that Stanley Cup.”

Leafs and Stanley Cups...I am so jaded that it seems like we might as well be looking for the actual Easter Bunny or a Leprechaun.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Shanny did not come out and say it but if you read between the lines he did. Different story if they do not get a good offer. My advice to Mitch is to waive and move on. Leafs nation has had enough of him, and another similar contract negotiation won't do him any good.

I agree that you could read between the lines on those statements but One could very easily say the coaching swap was the bigger change he was alluding to.

They flirted with trading Nylander last summer didnt like the offers and kept him. Could see a similar situation unfold with Mitch just as easily.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Anyone with a lick of sense knows they were talking about moving some of the core, it wasn’t a coaching change they were talking about, but keep deluding yourself with that narrative. They might not find a trade to their liking, but it’s what they were alluding to, book it………
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Anyone with a lick of sense knows they were talking about moving some of the core, it wasn’t a coaching change they were talking about, but keep deluding yourself with that narrative. They might not find a trade to their liking, but it’s what they were alluding to, book it………

Seems like a case of "People hear what they want to hear".....

Personally i'm all in favor of a core shakeup via a trade. I'm not convinced it's going to happen though based on what's actually been said.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree that you could read between the lines on those statements but One could very easily say the coaching swap was the bigger change he was alluding to.

They flirted with trading Nylander last summer didnt like the offers and kept him. Could see a similar situation unfold with Mitch just as easily.
They flirted with trading Nylander, didn’t like the offers and gave him 11.5 million.
What a strange leap from considering moving a player to overpaying 8 years with a NMC.

I worry the same thing with Marner. Well he won’t waive, or we don’t like the offers, here is 13 million. Why are we still struggling in the playoffs? Strange.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Seems like a case of "People hear what they want to hear".....

Personally i'm all in favor of a core shakeup via a trade. I'm not convinced it's going to happen though based on what's actually been said.
Same, I think they want to, but they clearly value them highly otherwise they wouldn't be here.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Same, I think they want to, but they clearly value them highly otherwise they wouldn't be here.

Yep. Shanny's entire time here has been focused on building the team around those guys. Went out of his way to call the guys last offseason saying they won't be traded. He may view a shakeup as just waiting for Tavares contract to wind down

They flirted with trading Nylander, didn’t like the offers and gave him 11.5 million.
What a strange leap from considering moving a player to overpaying 8 years with a NMC.

I worry the same thing with Marner. Well he won’t waive, or we don’t like the offers, here is 13 million. Why are we still struggling in the playoffs? Strange.

All it takes is Marner to make strategic use of that NMC..Leafs then face a scenario where it's lose him for nothing or give an extension.

Can easily see the front office seeing a new coach, goalie and D core as enough moves from their pov. Then being able spend Tavares money elsewhere in 2025.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

The Leafs are completely dysfunctional, want to move on from a player, can’t get what they want so they extend him to a ridiculous contract. President more than happy to re up GM, doesn’t like his season ending presser, finds out at the last minute that he’s a snake and moves on, thank God Dubas ignored the President’s advice and spoke at said presser………

Reactions: LeafSteel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad