GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If you're thinking than playing with 2 Ahlers in your top 4 unstead of of real top 4 will not affect your team because you're having 3 11 players, it's not how it's working.

Tampa having a great team, since mcdonaugh is gone they strugggling and didn't look like the same and they still. They lost one key D and Vasilevskiy/and team defensively D became unable to get the job done and allowed 2X more goal... you can have the same kind impact in your offensive
Yeah, maybe if you're playing a legit team, but we were playing lottery teams. The entire Marlies roster could've competed against them most likely. So again, having 3 11 million dollar players to lead your offence agaist that team shouldn't be a problem, even if you have 2 AHLers on your backend. McDavid and Drai have been doing it and that's been the point the entire time. They have carried some of those same bums (Barrie and Ceci) much further than our guys could.

Tampas fall has been because Vasilevsky not being that great and his weakness being exposed that he's not great tracking point shots through screens. Luckily they have good coaching and they help their goalies which is why they go on those late season runs and look like the dominant team they were. They've dominated the Atlantic Division the last 10 years and are getting into the end of their careers. Their fall off was bound to happen eventually and they are still right there with us in the standings.

Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
To Toronto: Jakob Chychrun + Shane Pinto + OTT 2nd Rounder
To Ottawa: Mitch Marner

To Toronto: Jack McBain + COL 3rd Rounder
To Utah: Timothy Liljegren + VAN 5th Rounder

To Toronto: Ty Emberson + MacKenzie Blackwood
To San Jose: Nick Robertson + Conor Timmins + Nicholas Abruzzese

Trade David Kampf and Calle Jarnkrok for draft picks.

Re-sign Tyler Bertuzzi and Max Domi.

Sign: Dylan DeMelo.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Pinto - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Grebenkin
Holmberg - McBain - Cowan
Reaves

Rielly - DeMelo
McCabe - Chychrun
Benoit - Emberson
Weber

Blackwood - Woll
Jones
Why on Earth would Marner waive to go to...Ottawa?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
so season eding mgmt presser was all BS?
Well, I think every season-ending press conference is always BS. It's usually just a lot of spin with little substance, because I doubt most teams ever have concrete plans in mind at that point. In this case, I could see the Leafs selling the coaching change as the change they were referring to in that press conference. Then the season starts, they get off to a winning start because of the impact of the coaching change, and 90% of the fans love them again. This is the easiest fan base in sports to please. It doesn't take much.

Reactions: Menzinger

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I had thought we chose to not sign him... but I can't find anything to support that now. It was clear then, and is still now, that we would have been better with him, than Klingberg though. Frankly, I would have kept Schenn too.... really good results with Morgan, especially in the playoffs... just weird. Schenn had a bad year though.... no guarantee that would have happened here though.

So much depends on if we move one of the Four forwards.... What cap space we will have, what comes back... It's just a massive unknown right now.

Keefe scratched him and he walked. I think I was pretty mutual

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well, I think every season-ending press conference is always BS. It's usually just a lot of spin with little substance, because I doubt most teams ever have concrete plans in mind at that point. In this case, I could see the Leafs selling the coaching change as the change they were referring to in that press conference. Then the season starts, they get off to a winning start because of the impact of the coaching change, and 90% of the fans love them again. This is the easiest fan base in sports to please. It doesn't take much.
if that's the case they should have said "it's all Keefe's fault........."

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
when a no state tax team has been in the finals 5 years in a row. I thinks it's pretty obvious that it's time to make a change.

Since 2017 im pretty sure that at least 1 no state tax team has been to the final every year save 2019.

2017 Nash
2018 Vegas
2020 Tampa and dallas
2021. Tampa
2022 tampa
2023. Florida and Vegas
2024. Florida.

Of the 9 of the last 13 confirmed spots were no state tax teams. That’s 69% even though the are about 19% of the league.

The only one that hasn’t made a final is Seattle and they have only been in the league for a few years. It’s ridiculous

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
That sure would make trades fun. Imagine the contract that would need to be signed, based on net salary... and if you were traded from a low tax area, to higher tax area?

Gross would change but net stays the same?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why on Earth would Marner waive to go to...Ottawa?

Close to family. Wife is from Oshawa apparently

Not saying it’s likely. But those are reasons. We don’t know where he will want to go.

I would guess Vegas. Tampa. Anaheim. Seattle. Utah. But who knows.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rielly’s been the only one to take a reasonable deal, especially in his latest contract. He’s also been one of the more consistent playoff performers in the bunch.

A revamped blue line is needed but moving Rielly isn’t the core shakeup/culture change you think it’d be

I feel like Rielly’s popularity is based on being the least problematic of the “brat pack” and his salary isn’t absolutely an albatross but those aren’t exactly compelling reasons to keep going with him.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I feel like Rielly’s popularity is based on being the least problematic of the “brat pack” and his salary isn’t absolutely an albatross but those aren’t exactly compelling reasons to keep going with him.
This is where the fan base is, they don’t want to get rid of a guy who can’t defend because he’s not too much overpaid and he’s the most likeable of a unlikeable bunch. I’m going to call this Leaf Derangement Syndrome………

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Yeah, maybe if you're playing a legit team, but we were playing lottery teams. The entire Marlies roster could've competed against them most likely. So again, having 3 11 million dollar players to lead your offence agaist that team shouldn't be a problem, even if you have 2 AHLers on your backend. McDavid and Drai have been doing it and that's been the point the entire time. They have carried some of those same bums (Barrie and Ceci) much further than our guys could.

Tampas fall has been because Vasilevsky not being that great and his weakness being exposed that he's not great tracking point shots through screens. Luckily they have good coaching and they help their goalies which is why they go on those late season runs and look like the dominant team they were. They've dominated the Atlantic Division the last 10 years and are getting into the end of their careers. Their fall off was bound to happen eventually and they are still right there with us in the standings.

1-They are no easy matchup in playoff

2- year for sure the best goalie of last devade who was looking untouchable is because of coaching... The difference between their 3 stanley cup run and last 3 year is tampa was most betrer to clear the front of the net and protecting vasilevskiy. An elite goalie when he saw the puck are pretty hard to beat but when they don't see the puck, it will be hard for every goalie

coaching staff apend hour to watch video to figure every weakness of every opponent especially in playoff qnd you think than lrafs miracoulously find Vasilevsky weakness and nobody else before never saw nothing? funny you living in a unicorn world

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021

Which is exactly why we have been fed nothing but shit sandwiches since 1967.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That sure would make trades fun. Imagine the contract that would need to be signed, based on net salary... and if you were traded from a low tax area, to higher tax area?
In theory, it'd all be on the team. You sign for a net amount that doesn't change regardless of where you play.

Not sure the accounting logistics are as simple as most think though.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Generally signing for lower than expected and playing well in key situations goes over well with a fanbase. Crazy, I know.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Generally signing for lower than expected and playing well in key situations goes over well with a fanbase. Crazy, I know.

Yeah but you’re speaking to a popularity contest, not strict roster and blueline building, and that’s the heart of the problem…

Rielly is not a bad price at $7.5 million for a number one. But he’s not a good number one. And by the time you’ve slotted him as a 3, you’ve probably spent another $15 million on guys ahead of him to do his job and take away his special teams.

We talk about the need for change and when garbage and recycling day comes around we want to keep all the sentimental favourites.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah but you’re speaking to a popularity contest, not strict roster and blueline building, and that’s the heart of the problem…

Rielly is not a bad price at $7.5 million for a number one. But he’s not a good number one. And by the time you’ve slotted him as a 3, you’ve probably spent another $15 million on guys ahead of him to do his job and take away his special teams.

We talk about the need for change and when garbage and recycling day comes around we want to keep all the sentimental favourites.
I don't really think you need to spend $15 mil on guys ahead of him. Rielly needs a steady partner... that's $3-4 mil. Given we've talked about Skjei... he's about $7.5... and you'd probably partner him with McCabe... or if not him, Roy at $4-5

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Which is exactly why we have been fed nothing but shit sandwiches since 1967.
Correct. It take almost nothing to make this fan base excited. They could leave this lineup exactly as is, and if they start next season 9-1 most fans here will be thrilled with the team.

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't really think you need to spend $15 mil on guys ahead of him. Rielly needs a steady partner... that's $3-4 mil. Given we've talked about Skjei... he's about $7.5... and you'd probably partner him with McCabe... or if not him, Roy at $4-5

Sure, but we could also consider adding Montour, Skjei and Zadorov or a Chatfield and just remake the entire blueline as well. Leave it up to others what permutations they want to pursue but only to illustrate how flexibility without Rielly can give you freedom to remake the blueline.

Reactions: Fogelhund

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Correct. It take almost nothing to make this fan base excited. They could leave this lineup exactly as is, and if they start next season 9-1 most fans here will be thrilled with the team.
If enough people have a loser mentality they'll get a loser team. Sad.

EDIT: this almost reads like a Trump tweet? Definitely not intentional.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The fun posts on the interweb.... On X,(twitter) Xhekaj is trending...

Why you ask... there is a French language article, suggesting that the Habs could trade Carolina for Necas (and their second, which they don't have)..

Most of the Montreal fanbase are saying they wouldn't do that trade, and compare it to trading away Sergachev.

Fun times!!

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The fun posts on the interweb.... On X,(twitter) Xhekaj is trending...

Why you ask... there is a French language article, suggesting that the Habs could trade Carolina for Necas (and their second, which they don't have)..

Most of the Montreal fanbase are saying they wouldn't do that trade, and compare it to trading away Sergachev.

Fun times!!
It's fun to laugh at them until you read this thread and see that there are people that want to trade Rielly to bring in Zadorov because they watched highlights of him playing well for 3 weeks in the playoffs on the Canucks 3rd pair. That's without mentioning that he is estimated to cost 6x6.

Unfortunately, we are not immune to having 'fans' with the hottest of takes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad