GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tre should really look to make a deal with the Blue Jackets and try to snag one of
Voronkov, Marchenko and/or Chinakhov even if it means taking a gamble on Elvis (he did look like a future #1 at one point, but the Jackets are a mess) though i’d rather Tarasov. Those 3 forwards are going to break out huge soon, and I’d love to ‘steal’ one or 2 of them in a deal.
You are going to have to make the money work in almost every Marner trade. It is why the rumored deal with Vegas makes some sense. Marner for Theo and Wild Bill but I'd prefer Theo, Hill and Roy.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You are going to have to make the money work in almost every Marner trade. It is why the rumored deal with Vegas makes some sense. Marner for Theo and Wild Bill but I'd prefer Theo, Hill and Roy.
Theo Hill and Roy would do it for me, does adding Kolesar for a pick make the salaries work out?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

There's a reason why Vegas traded for Hanafin and signed him to an extension. Theodore's next extension is probably $10M+.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There's a reason why Vegas traded for Hanafin and signed him to an extension. Theodore's next extension is probably $10M+.
If so, forget it. We can't afford trading for another ROR. You got to know how much he wants and a guarantee he will sign or you do not make the trade. Will be interesting to see how much Montour signs for. Perhaps he can set the market.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If so, forget it. We can't afford trading for another ROR. You got to know how much he wants and a guarantee he will sign or you do not make the trade. Will be interesting to see how much Montour signs for. Perhaps he can set the market.
Indeed, I’d imagine Tre will stay away from these scenarios, doubt he wants to put his hand on another hot stove…….

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Indeed, I’d imagine Tre will stay away from these scenarios, doubt he wants to put his hand on another hot stove…….

This is one of the reasons that I believe if we move Marner, it's best to get young players/prospects/high picks back. We would have years of control.

Then go into UFA for the D men we want, and sign them to decent term.

It's just good asset management, IMO.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
May as well try to sign Montour who shoots right if that is Theo's ask. I'd be in around Rielly money for any top dman we bring in.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is one of the reasons that I believe if we move Marner, it's best to get young players/prospects/high picks back. We would have years of control.

it should be interesting to see what transpires this summer............

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
May as well try to sign Montour who shoots right if that is Theo's ask. I'd be in around Rielly money for any top dman we bring in.
so would I and two if the aforementioned could also be moved, then again maybe Breube can turn him into a real D man. I can't see Chief liking the lack of defense from him..............

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Sure but I doubt many teams can absorb and $11m cap hit without money coming back. Saving on cap the cap hit will cut down the return IMO. It's too bad Dubas traded for EK last season and does not have room to fit in Marner.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I can't say that I've watched much of Brady Skjei. How would current Skjei compare to Brodie when the Leafs signed him? Better/worse?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Who knows what will happen.. They might even run it back. ughh..
I can see a scenario where the forward group comes back almost in it's entirety other than Kampf, and they use the money freed up from Brodie, Samsonov, etc. to sign a guy like Montour and a mid-level goalie to split time with Woll. Basically, count on the coaching change to make the biggest difference.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
So much depends on if we move one of the Four forwards.... What cap space we will have, what comes back... It's just a massive unknown right now.
This part is key, our top priority is a proper rebuild of our historically ineffective defence.
I don’t consider resigning any UFA until after we have our defence sorted, else we could lose out on who we ‘want’ on D and grab who we can ‘afford’.
If this seasons playoffs teach us anything it is how important offence from the defence is, and the ability for the D to move the puck effectively.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I can see a scenario where the forward group comes back almost in it's entirety other than Kampf, and they use the money freed up from Brodie, Samsonov, etc. to sign a guy like Montour and a mid-level goalie to split time with Woll. Basically, count on the coaching change to make the biggest difference.
That is what I thought until the end of season press conference. They will try to move a core piece. Let's hope they get a better return than they did for Kadri. Worst case, Marner is a rental and they allow him to walk for nothing.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I can't say that I've watched much of Brady Skjei. How would current Skjei compare to Brodie when the Leafs signed him? Better/worse?
Skjei is nothing like Brodie, he is better than any defender we have had since Kaberle
He can defend as good as anyone and can also lead the offence, he would become our defacto #1D and the best D man we have had in 20+ years. He is that good.
Very underrated because of who he plays with/for. I’d even say he is better overall than Slavin, as Slavin doesn’thave Skjei’s offence, but Skjei can defend almost as good as Slavin

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sure but I doubt many teams can absorb and $11m cap hit without money coming back. Saving on cap the cap hit will cut down the return IMO. It's too bad Dubas traded for EK last season and does not have room to fit in Marner.
Of my favourite fantasy scenarios, Utah has $43 million, and Seattle $23 million. 12 teams with more than $20 million. I think it's possible... But this is just fantasy talk.

well they talk change so I expect change, otherwise I'm out...........
We say that all the time, and then get sucked in again.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Skjei is nothing like Brodie, he is better than any defender we have had since Kaberle
He can defend as good as anyone and can also lead the offence, he would become our defacto #1D and the best D man we have had in 20+ years. He is that good.
Very underrated because of who he plays with/for. I’d even say he is better overall than Slavin, as Slavin doesn’thave Skjei’s offence, but Skjei can defend almost as good as Slavin

I disagree about his defensive game. IMO, probably about average. Also, can't really trust any player coming out of Carolina. Somehow even Brent Burns has really good defensive results there.

Not the guy they should be targeting.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Of my favourite fantasy scenarios, Utah has $43 million, and Seattle $23 million. 12 teams with more than $20 million. I think it's possible... But this is just fantasy talk.

We say that all the time, and then get sucked in again.
I'm a man of my word, I skipped the last year of Boy Wonder's tenure because I knew nothing was going to change and they'd choke once again in the playoffs. To be honest, it wasn't difficult to find other things to occupy my time............

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
That is what I thought until the end of season press conference. They will try to move a core piece. Let's hope they get a better return than they did for Kadri. Worst case, Marner is a rental and they allow him to walk for nothing.
At the same time, I don't think they will trade marner just for the sake of trading him, so if the return doesn't line up I expect that they will be just as happy to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad